Abandoned on Fire

I was preparing to try the update when I realized I have traded away all my GBA/SP consoles.  sad  Is there any other way to update a nano2 cart?  Hopefully with a DS (which is what I use it on anyway)?

PULSELOOPER wrote:

I must be doing something really stupid. I'm trying to update the rom without success, on both win and osx: opened the prompt/terminal, typed ./nlmidi04 -send nanoloop270.mb. Ok, it enters send mode. So I boot the gba holding start+select until the nintendo logo disappears and it stays like this forever. Nothing happens, the gba screen stays stuck on the gameboy logo (without the nintendo logo) and the prompt stays stuck on send mode forever.

Any idea?

looks like adaptor & game boy are not connected properly. the rounded side of the plug has to point to the bottom.

São Paulo, Brazil
oliver wrote:
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I must be doing something really stupid. I'm trying to update the rom without success, on both win and osx: opened the prompt/terminal, typed ./nlmidi04 -send nanoloop270.mb. Ok, it enters send mode. So I boot the gba holding start+select until the nintendo logo disappears and it stays like this forever. Nothing happens, the gba screen stays stuck on the gameboy logo (without the nintendo logo) and the prompt stays stuck on send mode forever.

Any idea?

looks like adaptor & game boy are not connected properly. the rounded side of the plug has to point to the bottom.

Hi Oliver, thanks for your reply. The connection should be fine, because I'm able to backup the songs.

I'll try to find another link cable, see if some miracle happens. Thanks for the heads-up.

São Paulo, Brazil

Bingo! I found another link cable and it worked.

But how the old, faulty cable worked for backing up songs will forever remain a mistery...

São Paulo, Brazil
oliver wrote:

Soft attack

With L, the envelope is not set to infinite decay anymore. Instead, it gets a slightly softer attack.
If you want infinite envelopes, fill the entire pattern with notes with long envelopes. If the envelope of the previous note is overlapping with the next, the oscillator is not reset, which results in a continuous sound.

That's a shame. sad I really used a lot of infinite decay, for more ambientish songs. This envelopes overlapping trick works well for faster tempo, but in slower tracks, it will start to click. Please, consider getting the infinite decay (L) back in the next version.

egr wrote:

I was preparing to try the update when I realized I have traded away all my GBA/SP consoles.  sad  Is there any other way to update a nano2 cart?  Hopefully with a DS (which is what I use it on anyway)?

A DS won't work since it does not have a link port. sad

Last edited by _-_- (Dec 10, 2013 10:06 pm)

PULSELOOPER wrote:

That's a shame. sad I really used a lot of infinite decay, for more ambientish songs. This envelopes overlapping trick works well for faster tempo, but in slower tracks, it will start to click. Please, consider getting the infinite decay (L) back in the next version.

I'll add it in 2.7.1.

In the meantime, you can still load your old patterns with infinite decay. You could copy a note with infinite decay and use it in your new patterns. You could even make an empty pattern withcopied and deleted infinite decay notes and store it as a preset.

Last edited by oliver (Dec 11, 2013 12:24 am)

São Paulo, Brazil
oliver wrote:

I'll add it in 2.7.1.

In the meantime, you can still load your old patterns with infinite decay. You could copy a note with infinite decay and use it in your new patterns. You could even make an empty pattern withcopied and deleted infinite decay notes and store it as a preset.

Thanks Oliver. That should work for now. If you can put it back in the 2.7.1 version (along with the notation again -- really miss that), I'd really appreciate it.

One thing about Nanoloop I've been thinking for a while and that would be really great for people who use only the "live mode" would be a sort of "loop region" selection in the file screen. Something roughly like this:

Sometimes it's really difficult to tweak with the patterns fast enough when you have some more complex/long chord progressions in the S channel. Especially when using two synched Nanos. So, some sort of workaround to loop more than one slot would be perfect for that.

Toronto, Canada

YES!! I second the request for loop regions in the file screen

The S-channel has some issues with panning, a centered sound ends up in left/right at random a lot!
However not a problem with chords & detuned notes, just singles.

Last edited by _-_- (Dec 17, 2013 10:55 am)

São Paulo, Brazil
_-_- wrote:

The S-channel has some issues with panning, a centered sound ends up in left/right at random a lot!
However not a problem with chords & detuned notes, just singles.

Yeah, I noticed that too on one of my old songs.

Alive and well in fucksville
Beware wrote:

Not only is this post entirely close-minded under the guise of enlightened, it's also inconsiderate.  The simple fact is, some peoples' brains work better with note values than arbitrary dots.  Your "break[ing] the mold" is really just you shutting out reality because you have some ludicrous preconceived notion about music theory.  Theory teaches you there's more than major and minor.  It teaches you that one is not happy nor is one sad.  It teaches you the different ways to divide an octave and different tunings and how to use them effectively.  This is not the place to spout hate speech about music theory, especially when it teaches exactly what you are preaching.

Beyond that, note names weren't forced on anyone.  You could use it if you wanted.  They are also exactly the same thing as the dots, just represented in a mildly different manner.

I'll be sticking with my old 2.3 until note names come back.  2.7 seems worth the update, but note names help my process so I'll wait for their return.

That is the smartest thing anyone has ever said to me. maybe I will be rethinking my life. I will never require anyone to agree with me.

Last edited by bitjacker (Dec 18, 2013 10:25 pm)

Los Angeles

I notice now an intermittent pop/high pitched click if I play in song mode using the USB midi sync device.

I feel like I need to point out how the inverted mode (hitting 'select' on startup) is practically useless.
There's no edges around anything so it's extremely disorienting to use!

Also, some praise: the "new" envelopes sounds really good! A lot more punch to the overall sound. Really liking this version!

Last edited by _-_- (Dec 24, 2013 10:40 am)

2.7.1 is out: www.nanoloop.com/two/specs.html

- Infinite envelopes are back (set envelope length to rightmost position).
- Fixed issue with random panning of S-channel.
- Cursor shows in black mode.
- Greyscale color schemes (start with UP or DOWN).

I'm sorry, no note values yet.

São Paulo, Brazil

SWEET