Poland

Thank you all for answer

MA

Well when using LSDJ, I use a drum kit to make the first initial loop
I then use both that loop in the WAV channel and the 2nd Pulse channel because the 1st glitches it more than I'd like it to tongue
I then use the first Pulse channel to fill in the spots I feel are empty
Then I go to the noise channel to make various kicks, snares, and high hats to fill in spots that are either empty or to enhance the kicks in the WAV channel

When using FamiTracker, I just fool around on my keyboard to get a melody then I use my laptops keyboard to add a different thing that complements the melody heart
I usually leave the triangle and noise channels alone in
There's one thing I do to the instruments that I feel just sounds amazing so I've been re-doing some of my earlier FamiTracker songs by changing the old instrument to the new one [it's a small change but it sounds great to me heart ]

My preferred method is to have written something already on another instrument, either guitar or keys, and then just transcribe the notes into the tracker. Once that's done, it's just a matter of adding drums and other accompaniment, and tweaking the effects column to achieve the desired... effect.

I'm not very prolific with fully written instrumentals though, so sometimes I recall one of my many gay pop songs that I never finished, and I'll try to transcribe it into the tracker, turning the vocal melody into the main instrumental melody. That can be a problem because some melodies that work as vocals don't translate very well into pure instrumentals. It's easier to get away with repeating the same note when there are words attached to it than it is when it's just an instrumental tone.

So usually I end up just fucking around with a 4 or 8 bar loop, just kind of improvising and adding a bunch of stuff, and then building the song out of that loop, for the most part. It's either completely melodic and in a single key, or I deliberately make it math-y and move all the notes around according to certain intervals, like minor thirds or something, and then try to somehow find a melody that traverses several keys within 8 bars. 

I find it difficult to really develop these kinds of loop-songs beyond just muting and un-muting the original patterns, but on the other hand, they are always spontaneous and fun to make. Also, on a good day, I can crap out a whole bunch of these things and at least feel productive, even when they all suck.

Last edited by Vaina Moinen (Dec 16, 2013 12:19 am)

Detroit

about 99% of my songs start off as an initial loop and I just build on it, my main melodies being pretty much written up on the spot in one sitting

if you listen to any of my tracks you can kinda tell since they all start with a repeating line heh

All my songs start with some sort of wav kick, then I add noi instruments.
Add pu1/pu2 if even necessary.

Louisville Ky
aaroneow wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

I will also mess around on a piano making melodies.

In the bathroom?

Yes he does, I can vouch for him.

seattle

i think with sounds more than i do with words. often when i get sad (which happens a lot) a melody or chord progression pops into my head. i put that into whatever medium (lsdj works the best with me) and hopefully i'll be able to flesh it out into a song.

woo

Boise, ID

caffeine is your friend when writing music

Holland

Whistling tunes and putting them in programs.