I'm considering buying a snes and using a super game boy to run lsdj. What are the pros and cons of using this with lsdj? Is there anything that should be noted? If I do this I'll be adding a jack and ps/2 port to the super game boy

Unsubscribe

There are not really any cons, Later versions of LSDJ support SGB pitch table so everything should be in tune. You can also add a link port.

Is con:

Clock

Edit: forgot about that ^

Last edited by 12ianma (Jan 28, 2014 1:26 am)

Pro: eyesight.
Con: less portable (in case you are one of those spur of the moment inspiration types).  Then again you are going to be using it with a keyboard.

Arizona
herr_prof wrote:

There are not really any cons, Later versions of LSDJ support SGB pitch table so everything should be in tune. You can also add a link port.

Wait, so all that talk about the SNES running about 2% faster and effecting the pitch is no longer valid...?

Boulder, CO

Pro: Great for collaboration if you have friends over. Did a track with Kris Keyser on a super gameboy and it was a blast.

Unsubscribe
Limitbreak wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Wait, so all that talk about the SNES running about 2% faster and effecting the pitch is no longer valid...?

Not for almost a decade now:
http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest/CHANGELOG

2004-06-06: v3.1.6 (special swedish national day sucks-release)

* adjusted pitch table for use with super game boy (no longer detuned)

Canada

Sounds good. I'll need to get one of these sorted out then

Easton, PA, USA

one of my favorite ways to work, pick up a super gameboy 2 if you don't want to try adding a link port later should you decide to use the keyboard.

Arizona
herr_prof wrote:
Limitbreak wrote:

Not for almost a decade now:
http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest/CHANGELOG

2004-06-06: v3.1.6 (special swedish national day sucks-release)

* adjusted pitch table for use with super game boy (no longer detuned)

Huh. I could have sworn I saw recent posts about it still being detuned. The more you know...

Unsubscribe

Thats what you get for listening to modders who dont actualy use lsdj big_smile

Matthew Joseph Payne

I just cracked out an SGB for the first time in awhile - of course the pitch is correct, but it seems like most other stuff sounds wrong because even though the pitch tables and the tempo are up to date, the clock is still running at the wrong speed and certain effects don't work correctly. Anybody else experience this?

I have another SGB at work, so I'm going to try that again soon.

Here's a couple other questions:
People like to mod the SGB with an internal clock at normal gameboy speed. If you run a corrected version of LSDJ on that, will it run too slow?
What about the SGB 2? Does LSDJ know the difference and use the normal pitch tables?

Taichung, Taiwan
kineticturtle wrote:

I just cracked out an SGB for the first time in awhile - of course the pitch is correct, but it seems like most other stuff sounds wrong because even though the pitch tables and the tempo are up to date, the clock is still running at the wrong speed and certain effects don't work correctly. Anybody else experience this?

I have another SGB at work, so I'm going to try that again soon.

Here's a couple other questions:
People like to mod the SGB with an internal clock at normal gameboy speed. If you run a corrected version of LSDJ on that, will it run too slow?
What about the SGB 2? Does LSDJ know the difference and use the normal pitch tables?

Together We Are Robots has an SGB2.

Cleveland, OH

The SGB is a great workshop type tool. I had a few of the Piko Piko guys stay here one night and Monotony was all showing us LSDJ tricks on the SGB while we all had our own Game Boys in our hands. It was really fun!
It's also probably a pretty good studio setup as you could connect a monitor and not really have to worry about anything but the controller.
And not intending to try to promote here but we just released a kit that allows you to easily add a link port to an SGB so you could use a keyboard, USB-Boy or Arduino Boy.