Memphis, TN

Pretty vague title, I know, but it is interesting thing I have been thinking about. Are there an established set of ethics associated with having an artist name explicitly for the purpose of testing music, experimenting, building your skills, etc.?

I guess I just have in my head that it is like disgraceful or something to simply create an artist, for all intensive purposes on the internet an Identity, a person, simply to later throw them away, and start over with another one. I am having trouble deciding whether I feel like you are sending the message that relationships you create under said identity mean nothing, or if nobody really cares whether or not that person simply disappears.

So, yeah. What do you guys think? Is throwing away an identity and all the relationships associated with it wrong?

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Mar 10, 2014 4:24 am)

Unsubscribe

If its good enough for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_KLF

Its good enough for me. Your artistic identity is not some sort of covenant with your consumers. Do what you want.

Gosford, Australia

a name is a name, who cares
if it was a crime to have throwaway producing aliases then scott brown and richard d james would be musical hitler or something idk

Boise, ID

Yeah man, your listeners will still listen to you.

Brunswick, GA USA

Unless they won't. wink

Boise, ID
chunter wrote:

Unless they won't. wink

oh... )':

Memphis, TN

I just feel like I'm betraying people if they like my stuff you know, by fully intending to throw away an alias when I start it.

/dev/sda2
Ateno wrote:

I just feel like I'm betraying people if they like my stuff you know, by fully intending to throw away an alias when I start it.

Maybe just let people know you're one and the same, if you feel you must.

Memphis, TN
datawave wrote:

Maybe just let people know you're one and the same, if you feel you must.

But that's the thing, the whole purpose is to become someone unaffiliated with an experimental, possibly bad, alias.

/dev/sda2

I see... Well, to echo what others have said, there's nothing wrong with throwing away aliases. Heh, maybe if you have hardcore fans, they'll be able to note the similarities between your projects, anyway. Like people keep trying to find afx/aphex twin/polygon window/power-pill/the tuss(?). But if it is a bad alias, it's good to be able to throw it away, I guess.

Indiana

there's no way you need to worry about this as much as you are! smile

Atlanta

I do this all the time, but I make lots of different kinds of music. I like to share my stuff online with friends to get opinions ("This pretty is cool!" or "It sounds like it's missing something."), so throwaways are good for that. It's not like I have a following or anything. I used to DJ house parties for fun, and people would chant my embarrassing DJ name sometimes when they were super trashed. Don't pick corny names when you play out, and don't use turntables at houses with shitty wood trampoline floors and people who like to dance.

Coming up with a moniker is great, it's like getting a shitty drunk prison tat that you can scratch off later!
I also vaguely enjoy the challenge of finding a good unused vanity URL.

Last edited by DMV.ppt (Mar 10, 2014 4:05 am)

Joliette, QC, Canada

Just dont use words like 8-bit, chip, chiptune, mario, gameboy, etc in your name if you want to look cool and chip professional...it's not 2006 anymore hahaha tongue

Indiana
DMV.ppt wrote:

I like to share my stuff online with friends to get opinions ("This pretty is cool!" or "It sounds like it's missing something."), so throwaways are good for that.

that's honestly such a clever idea

Last edited by Fudgers (Mar 10, 2014 4:08 am)

NC in the US of America

For all intents and purposes, an "artist name" is just that. It does seem kinda messed up to just throw away relationships completely just for the sake of a new name, but w/e. Everybody has their own reasons.

South Korea
SketchMan3 wrote:

For all INTENTS AND purposes....

Thank you smile