UK

in 2030 we'll have moved to the limitations of bit and sample rate for that vintage 2000's sound.

9-Heart wrote:

As long as i'm the only one who takes it seriously around germany and all the other dudes are active like freaking turtles in the wintertime, it's not gonna happen.

So fck u and ur question.

that's a little harsh.

buffalo, NY
e.s.c. wrote:

just saying, those limitations... chip gear is what it is... honestly thought about 5-6 years ago we'd see a shift toward mixing chip with other gear after a few acts got a little bigger, but scene is more homogenous than ever.. too much 4/4 EDM/house/happy hardcore been done with this gear already, and i wasnt big on it even when it was new... and if you use it heavily, you get labeled as chip, which then leads peopls to expect 4/4 edm dance nonsense (at least my experience in the midwest, i get told by chip gigs im not chip, and by other gigs that im too chip)

Maybe you're not downloading enough albums from Ubiktune dude.

I'll be making chip for a good while. I've always made other kinds of music so I'm sure some non-chip albums will happen at some point. I still see a lot of room to grow as a chip artist, and I haven't made all the music I want to make yet.

Holland
e.s.c. wrote:

maybe, i just expected more from this scene as a whole.. sorry, youve collectively let me down (not that you give a fuck wink ).. had a few conversations with other guys about this, and im not alone on thinking things were going to go a different direction back then.. shit really did seem like it was about to become something truly amazing for a bit back in 2006-2009, but then most new acts just followed lsdj tutorials online and made what could essentially all be one giant mix track

I agree but there are still a lot of good chiptune acts that do differently. And there probably will be new ones to follow.

Holland

As of the thread. I can't say I'll make chiptune forever but I've been making chiptunes for a good 9 years now and cerror has been for 14-15 years or so. We still enjoy it a lot and it's still a good way to get those melodies out of your head. As long as it's fun for ourselves we'll keep doing this. And when it gets boring, take a break and continue when you feel like doing so.

England

Been doing it for 10 years now, after using the Game Boy for 8 years I moved on to the C64.

San Francisco

I started doing chip back in 2006. I am not as involved in authentic chipmusic as I used to be for my personal music but it is something that still influences my work. I am not sure I will ever do it as seriously  as I used to but the influence will probably always be there. I have gone from the 8-bit sound obsessions (GB/NES/C64), to the 16-bit FM (Sega genesis/OPL3), and finally sample based chip (XM/Mods). For me the natural progression was to keep moving forward and not be limited by the restrictions of pure chip. We will see how things will play out but for now it is still a valid part of my work.

Los Angeles, CA
e.s.c. wrote:

just saying, those limitations... chip gear is what it is... honestly thought about 5-6 years ago we'd see a shift toward mixing chip with other gear after a few acts got a little bigger, but scene is more homogenous than ever.. too much 4/4 EDM/house/happy hardcore been done with this gear already, and i wasnt big on it even when it was new... and if you use it heavily, you get labeled as chip, which then leads peopls to expect 4/4 edm dance nonsense (at least my experience in the midwest, i get told by chip gigs im not chip, and by other gigs that im too chip)

I'm well acquainted with this struggle.  I've never been told any of this in such certain terms, but I've certainly surprised a lot of people at shows by not being shitty dance music (or even good dance music, for that matter)

I will always enjoy the tonal palate offered up by chipmusic, and I will always hate explaining lsdj to strangers.  One of those will win out eventually, who knows which one.  I'd sooner move into straight FM stuff or straight piggy than quit chip altogether, if I'm being honest.  But then again LSDJ will always be the piece of software I'm the most comfortable with.

Who knows.  I'm not a psychic.

think i have pretty much already stopped tbh. sometimes i do it for a lol and because i know how
but it doesnt really interest me

got into chiptunes like 2008 and the sound genuinely interested me but ive grown tired of the sound quicker than ive grown tired of the people so i stick around

another thing is that im still doing tracker stuff and theres no good communities for that so this is it

Ottawa, Ontario

yes

Lexington, KY

what part of 'til death' don't u guys get

Vienna
Solarbear wrote:

what part of 'til death' don't u guys get

so you're saying only fakebit-artists have the right to quit? :3

Lexington, KY

;3

IL, US
danimal cannon wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

I'll be making chip for a good while. I've always made other kinds of music so I'm sure some non-chip albums will happen at some point. I still see a lot of room to grow as a chip artist, and I haven't made all the music I want to make yet.

im not saying that arent some, just that as a percentage of the scene, i think the unique acts are actually a smaller part of the scene than they were in 2007-2008.. seems for every new artist doing something really different there are15-20-30 artists all copying other peoples sounds (intentionally or not)

Alive and well in fucksville

having made no chiptune worth listening to yet, I wont quit until i make a song that is at least rated at 4 dots. then i will try for five.
does m-01 count as a chiptune?

buffalo, NY
e.s.c. wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

im not saying that arent some, just that as a percentage of the scene, i think the unique acts are actually a smaller part of the scene than they were in 2007-2008.. seems for every new artist doing something really different there are15-20-30 artists all copying other peoples sounds (intentionally or not)

I think that's probably some sort of rose-colored-glasses hipster talk, but I really have no idea where you're finding new music.  I haven't really noticed this trend at all.  I dunno, I find rad shit all the time, 90% of it not chip unce.  I go to a lot if shows and check out cool stuff that my friends post.

In fact, there's a lot of stuff out there today that makes some of the earlier chip records sound weak

Last edited by danimal cannon (Apr 2, 2014 3:05 pm)