Canada

This might be interesting to read for you:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3391/ … chipmusic/

Douglas, Wyoming

What I do before playing it for them is show and explain how it is made. After that it seems to garner a more awe'd response

Douglas, Wyoming

Where's that video of the one girl saying "ITS VIDEO GAME MUSIC" at one of sabrepulse's busks

France (au milieu)
Imaginary wrote:

I love my dad.

tell him!

wink

I took out the gameboy yesterday evening as we had a little improvised party with one of my sisters, her boyfriend and quite a lot of ruhm... he spent a looong time listening to Zef and roboctopus things, going through lsdj screens... he was like ''schocked'' by the discovery... and only speaks about getting a USB cardtrige since smile

Youngstown, OH
Imaginary wrote:

I played my music for my dad.
Dad: "Did you make that with Soundblaster somehow?"
Me: "Nope, Nintendo sound chip software, tracker, blah blah."
Dad: (Listens for a while) "It sounds like music from the game with the little pink guy who eats everything..."
Me: "Yeah, Kirby's Dreamworld?"
Dad: "You made this?"
Me: "Yup" (I show him the tracking)
Dad: "Holy shit it looks like programing or something..."

And then he listened through the whole demo, smiling as we sat and looked out the window.

My dad had to learn to use basic DOS for work during the early 90's. We used to play Doom II co-op together when I was in grade school.
I love my dad.

Can we just talk about how perfect this was

Abandoned on Fire

:')

Abandoned on Fire
MaxDolensky wrote:

Reactions at Moogfest to the kitsch-bent booth was overwhelming on so many levels. Everyone was interested and excited about chipmusic, be it analog gearheads or casual non-musician folks wandering through. I will say that we opened a lot of doors for opportunity, collaboration, and business. smile will post with kitsch in the Moogfest thread in detail about this later.

That's the same reaction we (as in me and the other chip guys) got at Circuit Benders' Ball in Nashville.  People were fascinated and really wanted to understand just what we were doing.  Feels good, man.  big_smile

Bracknell, UK
Imaginary wrote:

I played my music for my dad.
Dad: "Did you make that with Soundblaster somehow?"
Me: "Nope, Nintendo sound chip software, tracker, blah blah."
Dad: (Listens for a while) "It sounds like music from the game with the little pink guy who eats everything..."
Me: "Yeah, Kirby's Dreamworld?"
Dad: "You made this?"
Me: "Yup" (I show him the tracking)
Dad: "Holy shit it looks like programing or something..."

And then he listened through the whole demo, smiling as we sat and looked out the window.

My dad had to learn to use basic DOS for work during the early 90's. We used to play Doom II co-op together when I was in grade school.
I love my dad.

This made me feel all warm and fuzzy smile

Whateverville, California

I tell my dad I love him pretty often, usually when he makes a rad joke, manages to be the only guy at the cookout who drinks more beer than me or beats me at croquet or something. I played my music for my wife's sisters and their mom. They had a lot to say about early NES memories and how it sounded more like "real music" than most of the chiptune I usually have jamming. (?) One of the ladies was interested in the tracking and was glad to see that it was pretty complicated. It was a "You're really into this and that's great for you" moment for sure. My wife really likes electronic music in general so I get the dubious honor of having her promote me and my not-yet-anything-I-feel-comfortable-showing-people-other-than-fellow-nerds-status chiptune project to people who will understand it the least. HILARITY ENSUES. =;3

Outer Space
Monotron wrote:

Where's that video of the one girl saying "ITS VIDEO GAME MUSIC" at one of sabrepulse's busks

1:50

Last edited by OmO (May 4, 2014 5:39 am)

hiding under your bed

Outer Space
PianoGameboy wrote:

oh

hardcore, Australia

deleted

Last edited by godinpants (May 14, 2020 10:44 pm)

Michigan

When I show lsdj stuff to my dad, he's always impressed by how you can use tracks to make more than one sound (i.e. bass and kick) and that it's possible to do on a gameboy. My dad was kind of the hacker of his friends. He told me he hand coded the horn track for a Chicago song with a commodore to play with his bar band back in the day. He told me his guitar player was wierded out by it.
Dudes in my band, and bands we play with, get down to my stuff sometimes. Especially my drummer. My guitar player likes rapid panning with pitch drops.
Haven't shown many others. Guess I'm still in the shy phase 'cause im not that good, yet. hahaha... oh, I made myself sad.

Last edited by lucasnoah (May 5, 2014 4:44 am)