France (au milieu)

may be intimidated by the quantity and complexity of the equipment necessary to produce over-the-top and awesome chiptune.

intimidated?
gameboys always frightened me...

One thing that would be useful to me, personally, is simply a midi box with sockets for whatever sound chip you feel like using.  I like the various limitations and quirks of various platforms, but I dabble in all of them and would love to be able to record on all of them. A box like this could offer the ability to compose using multiple chips or record with specific platforms in mind.  This would allow one person to stay true to the hardware while another person with the same box could compose for multiple platforms at the same time.  If I could not require a million different platforms just to attain the authenticity I craved, that would be worth at least the amount I've spent on my Gameboys.

Liverpool, UK

Yeah it's called a computer m8 lol

Douglas, Wyoming

I want something that does everything from nes to c64 to snes to genesis all in one synth. That would be really cool, especially if it could do all at once

Like, a hard synth that has all of the different chips from each packed into it and can utilize all of them.

Last edited by Monotron (May 17, 2014 8:17 am)

What's the point of being "true" if you're gonna mix chips anyway? I think you should make something "new" instead. Maybe something like a keyboard so that people can make live chipmusic?

Melbourne, Australia

If someone could make something like this, that would be pretty swell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV6IFOVY-go

Finland
Panda Chan wrote:

If someone could make something like this, that would be pretty swell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV6IFOVY-go

Oh my god I love it.

Virginia, US

Thanks guys for all of your input.

To tell a little bit more about myself, I'm starting an electronics business and I'm thinking of starting points; areas where I can begin. I am interested in video games, music, computers, and robotics (to say the least) and I'm just thinking of start-up projects that people would actually buy.

I am 100% willing to build anything computer electronics related. You should check out the 8-bit console I built recently.

http://imgur.com/gallery/VZRax

Thanks again for your input guys.

BitCruncher wrote:

To tell a little bit more about myself, I'm starting an electronics business and I'm thinking of starting points ... I'm just thinking of start-up projects that people would actually buy.

This may just be me, but I would have appreciated if you'd said up-front that you were planning this as a business endeavor.  Nonetheless, I am interested to see what you come up with.

BitCruncher wrote:

You should check out the 8-bit console I built recently.

This looks quite interesting.  I would enjoy reading a detailed write-up if you are planning on making one.  I assume you are storing sprite data on the EEPROM and that this is copied to the Propeller's internal RAM on boot?  If so, is the Z80 involved in this process, or does the Propeller access the EEPROM directly?  Also, does your Cartridge ROM also contain your bootloader, or do you have a separate boot ROM?  I am aware this is off-topic for this thread, so you may wish to start a separate thread about this project.