Riverside, CA

I need chip friends (with benefits)

/dev/sda2

Hmm... there was that chip dating thread a while ago...

UK, Leicester

I wouldn't mind chilling with some chip bros in my area. That said, I make up 33% of the chipscene for my city (or at least that I'm aware of)
forabrokenearth used to live here, but he moved to Sweden I think, the other dude from here who did the chip was one of his friends.

A chip musician once said something to me around the lines of, "There are so many people into this, but they don't even know it yet themselves." It was a funny passing joke statement but I definitely think there is some truth to it - I just moved from a very chiptune friendly area (Philadelphia, with easy access to NYC) now into an area that isn't very hip to chiptune, though I have no anxiety about my ability to express myself here. You don't really need to find specific "chiptune people" - consider looking up groups of people who are already into different experimental ways of making music, be it electronic or not, and I think eventually you will end up getting a few bites of support. You have to realize that even in places where this music is commonplace, there was once a time where absolutely nobody else was pushing this kind of music hard. Therefore, I think every "scene" starts from a small group of people meeting up and enjoying what they do. That being said... hell, you joke about craigslist but that's actually a great start for this - also try Meetup.com! Plus, even more exciting is that if you DO then begin to pursue it in a place that's not hip to it, you may become the local catalyst to making that specific kind of music and locals that are unfamiliar with it may be amazed and interested at the process of how you do it. Of course that last part might only happen if you're, well...good at making it.*

* - but this isn't always the case wink

Finland

Yeah there are some awesome chipmusicians here in sweden, actually a few in this very city I'm in. One who lives in very close proximity (stalker mode activaaateeed) but whatever. *giggle* smile

Certainly it'd be nice to have some chip-people to bounce ideas off of and hang around with but I think it's beneficial to know musicians as they are, whatever kind of music they make. I think.

Michigan

An0va, you're definitely right about being good at writing. I think my chops have really improved in the 6 song span of my writing with lsdj, but I still have so much to learn. I just don't want to do it alone hahaha.

I feel you. When in doubt, google the tutorials done by these great artists because they're super helpful:
-Nullsleep
-Sabrepulse
-Animal Style
-Chipocrite
-cTrix
-Danimal Cannon

There are tons and tons more great ones out there, but those are just ones off the top of my head that I'm thinking of right now. Also maybe listen through a bunch of classic label catalogs like 8bitpeoples and pause where you can really see the development and find some amazing releases in the process. Hope you find some fellow artists around you soon!

snesei wrote:

LOL this thread, but yeah a few Piko dudes moved away sad there are only a few of us right now but I am definitely down to hang. I'll send you my number on soundcloud message.

Vaina Moinen wrote:

Hello, I happen to reside in Westland, nice to meet you!

dude that's real close to me, I live in Inkster

No shit! The bassist in my band lives in Inkster too.

Actually, you may know the other guitarist in the band, he's friends with Barbecue. He does electronic stuff as Jaws That Bite, I know he's played shows with some of the Piko guys.

This is turning into some kind of chiptune variant of six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Detroit

Dude I love Jaws That Bite, PPD represent

matt's mind
Vaina Moinen wrote:

This is turning into some kind of chiptune variant of six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

this made me chuckle a whole, whole lot

thank you

Michigan
kitsch wrote:
Vaina Moinen wrote:

this made me chuckle a whole, whole lot

thank you

What have I done?

Last edited by lucasnoah (Jun 11, 2014 12:54 am)

Michigan

Most of my current band mates reside in Livonia, and I think I'm about to move to Ferndale. I'm about to be closer to everythannng.

Seattle, WA

Boaconstructor is over there most of the time, although he'll be in my town soon for like a week.

France (au milieu)

consider looking up groups of people who are already into different experimental ways of making music, be it electronic or not

yes this, definitely

over here, nobody actually ever heard about chipmusic at all, but pretty much all of my ''music friends'' local or online, showed very excited with the idea of including little grey box blips into various -very different- projects.

Detroit, Michigan
Vaina Moinen wrote:
snesei wrote:

LOL this thread, but yeah a few Piko dudes moved away sad there are only a few of us right now but I am definitely down to hang. I'll send you my number on soundcloud message.

dude that's real close to me, I live in Inkster

No shit! The bassist in my band lives in Inkster too.

Actually, you may know the other guitarist in the band, he's friends with Barbecue. He does electronic stuff as Jaws That Bite, I know he's played shows with some of the Piko guys.

Woah, small world lol. Check your pms, i just sent you some info.