WOW MAN!

I would not hold your breath for me implementing some way of transferring the data off one of these carts. That's something I have no experience with at all. Unless someone has done this before and has code that I can look at/use.

Unsubscribe

Maybe this guy will make a nes adapter:

http://www.retrode.org/wordpress/plug-in-adapters/

Sweeeeeeden

Idea: Bitbang data using the controller port. Use Arduino or something to collect the data. Problem: Finding spare controller port plugs.

Sweeeeeeden

Or... Microcontroller+USB, similar to USB Gameboy cartridges.

New York City

Can I get a PCB of this? I don't need a casing. How much would that be?

Minneapolis
FuturNari wrote:

Hi arfink!
I would love to be one of the lucky 26 to buy your cart but I live in a PAL country (New Zealand) and it seems donor carts are hard to find here! Best thing I can think of to do is buy a turbo racing cart on ebay Australia and get the seller to send the PAL turbo racing cart to you and get you to work your magic but by the time I factor in shipping costs (New Zealand is far away from everything and has a weak currency) it seems I should probably just spend that large sum of money on rent and food sad

tl;dr
Any idea of shipping costs to New Zealand?
Or know of any Australian cart developers?

Thanks for your time! Your work is awesome.

Thanks very much FuturNari. If/when Neil releases a PAL version of the NTRQ software I'll be happy to make a PAL cartridge. Shipping from the US to New Zealand isn't so much of a bugger as you'd think, as long as it doesn't have to be done multiple times. When I start doing preorders you should get in contact with another member who is shipping me a PAL donor cartridge so you can arrange for him to send me two. We'll get there when we get there, but something cheaper can almost certainly be worked out.

Neil: I'm not holding my breath, just mentioned it as a possibility. And such a thing has been done with the famicom before, with a device which is known as the Turbo File.

As for getting data of the cartridges themselves, since an NVSRAM is being used there is a slight possibility that since it's stable even when removed from the cartridge that backups could be done with a simple SRAM reading circuit that could attach to the PC. Either way, my cartridges will not immediately support this.

Akira: you could get a PCB of this, but since I have to get them from donor cartridges anyways you might as well keep the casing too. If you just want the parts that you can assemble yourself with your own donor, that can also be arranged. If you want to do it exactly the way I will, you'll see it's a challenging job, but there are easier ways to cope with the soldering if you are willing to chop through the front of the cartridge. I'm going to do more work on my prototype tonight, and hopefully then you can see what kind of a mess my prototype looks like and why I haven't begun taking orders yet. smile

New York City

What parts do I need for this? I can get an empty board, but I need to kn ow the components. I mean, if I had a bare bones PCB with a socket to put this EPROM on.... What mapper is this?

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 29, 2010 8:49 pm)

Melbourne

Thanks arfink! I'll keep my eyes peeled for the PAL version/pre orders.

Edit: Lol as I went back to the board I saw that Neil has released the PAL version now. Woohoo! So I'll keep my eyes peeled for pre orders.

Last edited by FuturNari (Apr 29, 2010 9:19 pm)

Minneapolis

You need an SKROM board, MMC1. See my donor list, it's in this thread. You'll need two EPROMs, I suggest 27C020 Eproms. You'll need two 32 pin sockets. You'll need this wiring diagram: http://nesdev.parodius.com/NES EPROM Conversions.txt

You'll need an STK16C88 NVSRAM. And some DPST switches for the hi-low bankswitching circuit.

0R360N
Koatl wrote:

I'm very interested, and am willing to pay in advance.

Regarding labels, I'd love to see Thretris' label on it:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AunSIWoEFRo/S … qlabel.png

arfink wrote:

Unless he does the label for ya, I won't be doing labels. Sorry, I just don't have the equipment.

Koatl wrote:

Whatup Thretris? Willing to produce some labels?

arfink wrote:

Well, if it's so easy I'll let my customers put labels on. smile

I can have them made professionally, but would probably be a pain distributing them unless I sold them to arfink for cost, and he could just apply them before shipping. I can have an insane amount made for like 30-40 bucks.

Other option, get some sticker paper, print at home, cut it out and stick it.. DONE!

Minneapolis

OK, I decided to open up some preordering, please read the first post.

EDIT: I contacted Thretris and he might do labels for me. Fun fun fun! smile

Last edited by arfink (May 15, 2010 11:08 pm)

Minneapolis

Did waiting a month kill all possible interest? If nobody wants 'em I can change spec. to make them cheaper or i can just scrap the project.

Minneapolis

If I have nobody who contacts me in a week I'm going to assume this is dead as a doornail and it's getting scrapped. If you want to preorder please get in touch before Friday.

New York City

I want a small PCB, not a cart. If that's possible, I'll preorder.

Minneapolis

I can make you a PCB that can mount inside of your own cart plastics. However, I can only provide NTSC boards this way, since I have no access to PAL boards. (this is to say, PAL CIC chips, which come on PAL boards.)

Also, if I don't have a cartridge to put the board into then that will necessitate some cutting of the cartridge on your part.

Send me an email, we can work this out.

Last edited by arfink (May 18, 2010 9:32 pm)

Riverside, CA

Want to pre-order.

(I woulda been on this much earlier, but I was expecting a message or email. I had no reason to expect that ...just did. ^_^ Anyway, hope you're still doing this.)

Last edited by Koatl (May 25, 2010 7:24 am)