Santa Cruz, California

This is what I've got so far.

Feedback?

EDIT: Better Picture

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Jul 21, 2014 5:26 am)

San Diego

Would it technically be easier to add a 2nd D-pad and run small jumpers to the contact points of the main D-pad? Not sure if that made sense.

Santa Cruz, California
Vile wrote:

Would it technically be easier to add a 2nd D-pad and run small jumpers to the contact points of the main D-pad? Not sure if that made sense.

That's what I'm doing.

Minneapolis
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

This is what I've got so far.

Feedback?

EDIT: Better Picture

That is freaking amazing. I love it!

South UK
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Feedback?

Absolutely gorgeous dude! 3 questions though (in the inquiring sort)

Where are you gonna put the power switch/volume wheel?
Do you plan on having the the bottom shoulder buttons (armpit buttons?) Functional, or just aesthetic?
The pokedex dpad looks almost like a trackball - are you gonna try and match the look, or keep it more functional?

Keep up the good work dude

Santa Cruz, California
Category wrote:
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Feedback?

Absolutely gorgeous dude! 3 questions though (in the inquiring sort)

Where are you gonna put the power switch/volume wheel?
Do you plan on having the the bottom shoulder buttons (armpit buttons?) Functional, or just aesthetic?
The pokedex dpad looks almost like a trackball - are you gonna try and match the look, or keep it more functional?

Keep up the good work dude

I hope this answers all of your questions.
I'll post pics of the custom joystick thing when it's finished.

EDIT: Yes, I realize I spelled "backlight" wrong. I misspelled it so it would fit on the screen.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Jul 21, 2014 9:19 pm)

Minneapolis

I'm curious to see how you use analog joystick parts to produce digital 4-way inputs for the GBA. That should be pretty cool.

Santa Cruz, California

Digital? The GBA is almost entirely analog. I'm simply converting the D-pad to a joystick... it's mechanics will remain unchanged.

CA

It's amazing how this is coming out!

Also looking at your worklogs is a great source of learning to craft in plastic:) I have a dumb question though. I noticed you're using superglue. Are you going to reinforce it with something else or super glue is strong enough? Is it some special brand you're using or just any superglue would go?

Santa Cruz, California
friendofmegaman wrote:

I noticed you're using superglue. Are you going to reinforce it with something else or super glue is strong enough? Is it some special brand you're using or just any superglue would go?

If you use enough bracing (little plastic gussets) superglue is more than strong enough to hold everything together. I prefer it over a lot of other more expensive modeling epoxies.

Nothing special, brand wise. Just some superglue that came in three-packs at Harbor Freight. I have yet to have superglue fail on my mods.

Santa Cruz, California

I uploaded one of my progress pics to DeviantArt... and it's easily the most popular thing I've ever posted.
Over 400 views in 8 hours!

Minneapolis
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Digital? The GBA is almost entirely analog. I'm simply converting the D-pad to a joystick... it's mechanics will remain unchanged.

What I mean is, each pad of d-pad can give you a high or low voltage depending on whether it's open or closed, where an analog joystick produces a variable voltage instead of a hi/low voltage.

Last edited by arfink (Jul 22, 2014 5:23 pm)

Santa Cruz, California
arfink wrote:
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

What I mean is, each pad of d-pad can give you a high or low voltage depending on whether it's open or closed, where an analog joystick produces a variable voltage instead of a hi/low voltage.

Ah, I see.
I'm basically just gluing a joystick to the existing D-pad.
Super simple, rugged, not complicated.

Minneapolis
Teh D3th St4r wrote:
arfink wrote:

Ah, I see.
I'm basically just gluing a joystick to the existing D-pad.
Super simple, rugged, not complicated.

Ohhhhhhh okay. I get it. So just cosmetic. Derp derp... tongue

Santa Cruz, California

Now I'm just waiting on parts.

I've also come up with another Pokedex build... But I need to finish this one first.

South UK
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

I've also come up with another Pokedex build...

Okay, now you've piqued my interest!