killadelphia

Hey Delek - can we get volume envelopes to control the TL volume for only the carrier(s) (operator that you hear) of each algorithm.  This would mean turning down one to four carriers simultaneously depending on the algorithm and would have to be done by scrolling a percentage of the initial value.  Check out the Alisia Dragoon soundtest in options if you want a good example - play a song and then hit B and you can hear the cleanest fadeout ever.  As it is now - volume envelopes change the patches too much.  This is annoying when doing an echo effect because I have to make several instruments.  Also overall dynamics for everything would be amazing too.

To further clairfy:  If you are using Algorithm 4, volume envelopes should control just the Total Level of carriers 2 and 4 while nothing is done to modulators 1 and 3 (maybe a percentage could be applied to the existing value - so if i had the TL at 32 and changed it with an effect, the effect would calculate what percentage of 32 I had turned down).  another example:  Algorithm 0 would need to only modify the TL of carrier 4.

Last edited by animalstyle (Aug 6, 2014 2:32 pm)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

There are specific effects for specific operators' volume.

killadelphia
Delek wrote:

There are specific effects for specific operators' volume.

Ah yes didn't think of that - derp.  Thanks.  Also, what exactly is the tracker volume doing with the patch?  It seems hard to pin down - is it changing all the TLs?  I still think you should consider it - makes sense for the overall patch's timbre not to change when using the main tracker volume value.  Maybe its more logical to let timbre change with just the effects columns?  probably confuses a lot of beginners.  At any rate - thanks for your hard work.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Volume column changes ALL TL values for Genesis, the problem is that the tracker shouldn't decide on the fly how the effect will work depending on the instrument currently selected, the behavior of commands in the patterns should be absolute and never relative, it is a design resolution.

I could modify this, by checking which ALG is selected on current channel and modify specific Operator's TL, however, this change will Turn On lot of backward compatibility issues. I will look at this.

Last edited by Delek (Aug 7, 2014 12:36 pm)

killadelphia

Ah yea backwards compatibility is an issue - didn't think of that.  Maybe you could put a flag in for new deflemask files.  If there's a way to do it I think it would vastly improve the tracker from the Genesis side.  VGM and TFM kinda annoyed me in that volume envelope realm.  Johan changed the LSDJ vibrato quite a few times - not sure how he dealt with the backwards compatibility issues but I do remember a few of my songs breaking. So it definitely happens.  Honestly it was worth it because the vibrato on that program is like gold now.  Maybe you can make available older versions of the program so people who hate change can still hang on?  Thanks again!  Finally getting the hang of all the key commands in the Deflemask now.  big_smile

Last edited by animalstyle (Aug 7, 2014 4:00 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'll throw my two cents in about backwards compatibility:

It's always nice to maintain backwards compatibility but I think many of the users of this sort of software are decently advanced users and can work around issues caused this way. With different versions of Protracker and different versions of LSDJ I've had to either modify my songs or simply use an older version of the software to get my songs sounding right. I know as a coder that sucks, doesn't feel elegant, but if the new features are worthwhile then I don't mind.

LSDJ in particular had several big changes (noise channel stable mode) that broke backwards compatibility but also brought so much new utility that I accepted it without complaint. It's like ripping a band-aid off. tongue

killadelphia

Quick question about the sample packs included in Deflemask...  how were these extracted?  Are they direct binary rips or were these taken from an emulator?  Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Recorder by me and emulated, better rips are needed for sure. tongue

killadelphia
Delek wrote:

Recorder by me and emulated, better rips are needed for sure. tongue

i've ripped a bunch already so I'll shoot them over to you when I'm done.

Last edited by animalstyle (Aug 9, 2014 2:53 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Guys, I have a MIDI IN capable DefleMask beta right here (Windows only atm); I need please some feedback if you have a midi input attached to your computer.

It is HERE

The rar includes the new exe file and a default config.ini file, pelase backup yours before. big_smile

Under Options you will find the MIDI sub menu, it should show all midi devices available in your computer.

EDIT: Also I added a thing that lot of users requested: volume column for FM channels will ONLY modify carrier's operators volume.
EDIT2: You will notice a boost in performance, DefleMask rendering system runs faster now.

Last edited by Delek (Dec 27, 2014 4:47 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

DefleMask 10a > PRE-RELEASE HERE <
EDIT: MIDI Input will records chords!, if you play a C chord it will paste C, E, G on 3 channels at the same time!

[email protected]/forum wrote:

Guys, here is a pre-release of DefleMask 10a.

News so far:
MIDI Input
Boost in performance
The Game Boy now uses internal HW volume envelopes!, this means 100% compatibility on the hardware. Just the way it should be. Side effect: no more volume macro, you will have to modify your existing tunes.
Fixed the noise behavior of the Game Boy. (full range)
As requested, now the volume column for FM Instruments will modify only the carriers volume of the current instrument.
New default SEGA Genesis instrument.

Please test it all you can, looking forward to fix some bugs before the release.

Last edited by Delek (Dec 29, 2014 3:12 am)

NES GB land

Delek, do you realize what you just did? you have managed to brake wine compatibility with Deflemask to the point ware the EXE no longer runs!
BTW I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a 2011 Macbook Pro.
Hmmm, maybe my guess is that all the directory folders are missing, could that be it? All i'm seeing is the EXE and the config files.

Last edited by djmaximum (Dec 28, 2014 11:44 pm)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

If adding MIDI Input to DefleMask will break the compatibility with Wine, I'm sorry but goodbye Wine. This pre-release distribution is Windows only, but remember that Mac and Linux builds are coming too. Why Wine should be necessary?

NES GB land

OK good news, I got the new beta running in wine!
I copied all the stuff from the previous version, "including the config" and then pasted it in to the beta, and Boom! It works!

Last edited by djmaximum (Dec 29, 2014 4:54 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Oh sure that was the case, it was explained in the DefleMask forums that the pre-release are only exe files, it needs the rest of a previous Defle installation.

Btw, please check the MIDI Input, it will records chords!, if you play a C chord for example, it will paste C, E, G on 3 channels at the same time! This is a very useful thing that needs some beta testing.

Last edited by Delek (Dec 29, 2014 12:45 am)

NES GB land
Delek wrote:

If adding MIDI Input to DefleMask will break the compatibility with Wine, I'm sorry but goodbye Wine. This pre-release distribution is Windows only, but remember that Mac and Linux builds are coming too. Why Wine should be necessary?

I would take those words right back, do to the fact that I got it working in wine anyways.