Washington, PA

EDIT: I think I figured this out... the Color seems to be having troubles with the Vib. Type being set to HF with vibrato. I've discovered that if I turn it to another setting, then up the vibrato speed to compensate, it seems to do fine. I noticed the same problem seemed to appear on pitch bends too. Seems odd that a faster processor would have issues with HF, but at least I found a solution.

-----

I just got a prosounded Game Boy Color and I really like how it sounds, except I've discovered one odd problem. Songs I wrote with my Pocket that have long sustained pulse notes (envelope at about 78 or 88) seem to cut off really fast with vibrato set at 01. I can almost get it to stick by adding an E command with the same numbers as the instrument envelope, but it changes the sound a bit when the table loops.

Anyone else ever had this problem? The songs still play fine with vibrato on the Pocket.

Last edited by jmc1987 (Aug 17, 2014 9:19 pm)

Washington, PA

Even weirder, sometimes it'll cut off in a few ticks, sometimes it will sustain the note with no problem. I can play the phrase on loop and it will cut off on the first play, then sustain on every other one.

I think it's a problem only with Game Boy Colors. I wondered about this a while back, too: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/5095/ … r-problem/

Abandoned on Fire

I had this happen on the GBboy Colour clones but never on a real gbc and that's all I use. Are you on the newest lsdj version? If you change the vibrato setting slightly does it still happen?

Washington, PA

I found that thread a bit later. It seems like it's only certain CGB models that do it. I wish I had noticed before I shipped it off and paid for a prosound mod. sad

Did nitro2k01 ever get back to you about that special ROM that might fix it?

In the meantime, I've discovered some other workarounds, like adding an extra W command or two in the same table as the V command, but it's still not perfect.

I mainly got the Color to do 2xLSDJ with the Pocket, so I'm figuring I'll still be able to use it. I was mostly wanting to be able to do WAV bass and use the GBC WAV channel for kits. I guess as long as I keep any sustained notes with V or L commands on the Pocket, I'll be fine.

Washington, PA
egr wrote:

I had this happen on the GBboy Colour clones but never on a real gbc and that's all I use. Are you on the newest lsdj version? If you change the vibrato setting slightly does it still happen?

I actually upgraded to 4.7.3 to see if it would help, but no dice. It still cuts off with a different vibrato value.

Michigan

I suspect that it is an op-code glitch with the GBC. I would like to hear what Nitro has to say too.
Each boy revision seems to have a glitch or two with particular op codes and op code combos.

Spookane, Warshington

My GBC does this too... Vibrato and Note Slides didn't work... I think it might only be the early GBC models. Do you happen to have either the dark purple or transparent purple GBCs?

Washington, PA

Nope. It's a bright green GBC.