Hey guys,

So I'm new on the forums here and firstly I'd like to say hi! I am a composer & sound designer and I'm currently studying a BA in Commercial Music at the University of Westminster in London. Also I'm a big fan of chiptunes!

I'm currently in the process of writing my thesis on the fandom of chiptunes and I'm in desperate need of help. I have created a survey with about 26 questions all relating to chiptunes for research. I know its quite a big ask, especially seeing as how this is my first post but if any of you could take the time to fill it out I will be eternally grateful! I will also share the results of the survey on the forum here as I'm sure the result will be interesting for everyone.

The survey should take less than 10 minutes and the whole thing is anonymous, so if you do take part, please be as honest as you can.

Like I said, I'll give it a week or so and I'll post the results here.

I hope you're all having a good day.

Thanks for your help, here is the link ...

http://eSurv.org?u=Chiptunes

Cheers!

i will take your survey!!! but i will say that this site is mostly used by people who make chiptunes i think so if you are covering people who "just" listen to chiptunes you may also want to look at the chiptunes reddit and maybe facebook or other places i don't know about as well

Ew chipmusic is a fandom now? I don't want to be associated with that tumblr culture bullshit.

Hey sandneil and arlen, thanks very much for getting involved with the comments.

sandneil - Cheers dude that's very much appreciated. Thanks very much for the heads up, however, I'm just looking for fans of chiptunes and I think that a large portion of chiptunes fans are actually makers of chiptunes, so, it's all relative.

arlen - Hey. Again, thanks for commenting. Ummmm, sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing your comment is a joke right? Cheers.

Mannheim, Germany
arlen wrote:

Ew chipmusic is a fandom now? I don't want to be associated with that tumblr culture bullshit.

this is like feminism all over again

Mannheim, Germany
studioAdam wrote:

Thanks very much for the heads up, however, I'm just looking for fans of chiptunes and I think that a large portion of chiptunes fans are actually makers of chiptunes, so, it's all relative.

yeah im with you on that, its just way too easy to make chiptune to not at least try making it.

Just finished answering the survey, and damn those last two questions tongue

Will be interested to see what comes out of this.

Done

Gosford, Australia

did the survey

wouldnt call it a "fandom" - i dont think there's really that kind of obsession for most of us

Somewhere On Neptune

Did it.
also, I'm not one to hate the term, but I would have to agree that "fandom" doesn't really describe what we have going on here. All in all though, I wish you luck, good sir. smile

sandneil wrote:

this site is mostly used by people who make chiptunes

But... I thought everyone made chipmusic, even the non-fans.

Hey guys. Wow! So far there's been a really good response, 43 people so far. So thanks to everyone who has taken part, and please, anyone who hasn't, jump in!

I feel that I should try to clear up the term 'fandom' though because it seems that there is a bit of a negative connotation associated to it. I certainly don't want people to walk away with anything negative. You are correct Victory Road, chiptunes isn't a fandom, its a genre or a movement, or a style, or an ethos, or a culture, or a sub-culture, or just some fun you have with your mates, or whatever anyone wants it to be.

However, anyone who likes something could be considered a fan, just as Picasso would have been a fan or art or J.R.R Tolkien a fan of words etc. So the term fandom is more about the social aspect that links all the people who like and enjoy chiptunes together, like this forum and community.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a fan is someone who is a supporter of what they like, and many of you certainly are that, as you contribute to chiptunes by making them, putting on gigs or events etc, or even subscribing to chipmusic.org. There isn't anything like a 'tumblr culture' here, there is only chiptunes culture (or whatever you want to call it), and fans, you guys! So my sincere apologies to anyone who thought that I'm a fat cat trying to monetise chiptunes and turn it into some sort of Starbucks machine. I make chiptunes as well as other types of music and try to make computer games too, I'm definitely a fan of both!

Another way to title this thread would have been 'A study of people who like chiptunes' the word fandom is just saying, the fans, a study into people who like chiptunes.

I hope that explains a little more.

Hey Cortuor, yeah I thought they'd be tough ones! ha ha.

And thanks again for everyone who's taken the survey.

Cheers!

The deed is done.

Sevilla, Spain

Survey filled

perth, WA

this thread feels familiar

UK, Leicester

did the survey yesterday, the "how did you find out about a chiptunes movement" (or whatever it was) question was kind of confusingly worded