NC in the US of America

American Thanksgiving is an oft-glossed over holiday sandwiched between the Tag-team of Halloween and Christmas. The media barely gives it a nod, though it is highly appreciated as an excuse for devouring large quantities of delicious food. It seems to be the least commercialized holiday of the holiday season and emphasizes thankfulness for what you have rather than getting stuff from people. It is also rooted in the clever usage of limited resources to bring forth produce that seemed impossible to those unaware of the potential powers of fish buried underground and what-not... *ahem*

Thinking about it, there seems to be some kind of linkage between Thanksgiving music and chipmusic  Just look at this bit of trivia about the 1848 Thanksgiving hit "Simple Gifts":

In 1982, "Simple Gifts" was used as the background music track for the "Smurf: Rescue In Gargamels Castle" video game for the Colecovision and Atari 2600 systems.

Wow! Thanksgiving music in an Atari game that isn't even holiday themed! O.O
And see here as the Dutch hymn "We Gather Together" embraces the punk side of chipmusic with such a rebellious title:

At the time the hymn was written, the Dutch were engaged in a war of national liberation against the Catholic King Philip II of Spain. "Wilt heden nu treden," "We gather together" resonated because under the Spanish King, Dutch Protestants were forbidden to gather for worship.

In your FACE, Phil!

And let's not forget how Christmas stole the Thanksgiving tunes "Over The River And Through The Woods" and "One Horse Open Sleigh". I feel a witch-hunt coming on...

Let's make that special Thursday in November a Happy Chipsgiving this year.

Thank you,

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Nov 1, 2014 10:02 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

Playboy Man-Baby

I've always preferred Thanksgiving to Halloween. Oddly satisfying with the car ride to New Hampshire to eat food in a tiny-ass house packed with way too many people (who all also stay overnight despite this), while it's kill-self cold outside. Then getting woken up because half of them decided to go to Target at 4 am.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Nov 1, 2014 11:08 pm)

Did ant1 hack your account?

Ohio, USA
Feryl wrote:

But seriously though Thanksgiving is pretty underrated. Probably because it's actually about being grateful instead of STUFF!¡!¡!!! I like it though lol

Chips & Dip :3
Wholesome Family Music wrote:
Feryl wrote:

But seriously though Thanksgiving is pretty underrated. Probably because it's actually about being grateful instead of STUFF!¡!¡!!! I like it though lol

AND THEN YOU SPEND ALL UR CASH MONEY ON SHIT ON BLACK FRIDAY CUZ DATS DA 'MURICAN WAY *star spangled banner plays in the distance*

Liverpool, UK

I'm thankful that we let you guys win your independence back in the day.

Ohio, USA
calmdownkidder wrote:

I'm thankful that we let you guys win your independence back in the day.

Sorry gonna have to use it again

Brunswick, GA USA

Not for the sensitive.

And also

and let's not forget Cyber Monday, when after all that shopping you go on the internet and cyber... or something.

Last edited by chunter (Nov 2, 2014 1:26 am)

the "smurf rescue in gamergate castle" soundtrack is actually really good, thank you for alerting me to this excellent and cool chiptune soundtrack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHajxrEvSME

IL, US

well this just seems stupid and not worthy of posting on a chipmusic website
ps.. turkey is the worst kind of poultry...

Arad, Romania

Both Halloween and Thanksgiving suck.

But on a serious and unrelated note, the opening post blew my mind. I've just realized that I've been listening to chip music ever since I was little. Those Christmas lights we used to have came with a little music box\device that played Christmas songs with a pulse\square sound. This was one of my influences towards liking chip music that I haven't acknowledged until now for some reason even though it was quite obvious.

UK, Leicester

if americans are going to have a thanksgiving comp, I think we brits should have an exclusive comp as well, anyone got any ideas?

South Korea
Alpine wrote:

if americans are going to have a thanksgiving comp, I think we brits should have an exclusive comp as well, anyone got any ideas?

Guy Fawkes Day comp? Nothing but fireworks and explosion samples!!!!!!!!!!

Tldr

UK, Leicester
DeerPresident wrote:
Alpine wrote:

Guy Fawkes Day comp? Nothing but fireworks and explosion samples!!!!!!!!!!

im down lol