Rochester, NY

just saw these, thought some of you might dig them...

Melbourne, Australia

These are awesome, i wonder how much they cost.

Awesome indeed.

ad-hell-aide

great stuff

Central-ish VA

So beautiful.

Yes, really interesting topic !  heart

These don't really look like synths to me. They look like knock-off MSX computers.

Russia, Moscow

These are portable computers, some of them also had TV out. These machines usually has very simple sound (if any), single channel beeper or something like that. However, they also have ports, and having parallel port you can connect some sound chip or generate 1-bit sound (if CPU is fast enough, it is often Z80, but I don't know about clock frequency). Nice things for experiments, anyway.

Rochester, NY
arlen wrote:

These don't really look like synths to me. They look like knock-off MSX computers.

:facepalm:

does the Game Boy look like a synth to you? does the C64?

these examples were done using BASIC programming on each computer, using whatever onboard sound generation capabilities they possess. not the most mind-blowing thing in the world, but pretty cool based on the limitations of each.

jbuonacc wrote:
arlen wrote:

:facepalm:

does the Game Boy look like a synth to you? does the C64?

these examples were done using BASIC programming on each computer, using whatever onboard sound generation capabilities they possess. not the most mind-blowing thing in the world, but pretty cool based on the limitations of each.

It's not really that cool seeing as most old computers could be used to make sounds. I've heard of old computers using prebasic to make simple beeps and stuff.

Rochester, NY

uhh, yeah, thanks.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

it's not a synth it's a biddlymachine

Washington DC

I love the third one.

I've been thinking about finding kind of more obscure pieces of hardware and experimenting with them as well.

Chicago IL

this is such a weird thread to get up in a huff about guys.

Minneapolis

I have the American version of the first one, it's known as the Tandy 102. Woot! Now I'm going to bug the video maker to get his code... mwahahahaha!

Brooklyn NY US
that one video wrote:

Fantasia for px-4+ and one finger

PFFF that guy is clearly using two fingers. I call bullshit.