Chicago IL

i dont know if this counts, but the unreleased aphex twin album Melodies From Mars was originally written as a computer game soundtrack, a few of the tracks have some chippy elements to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGB-Uubr0Wc

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Has anyone mentioned the Bloody Fist Amiga shit?
I'm a noob to that scene, but I'll bet there was something in there that would make the cut, if you haven't already mentioned it...

Ah, I just read back that you were looking for NON-breakcore shit.
Still love you Newcastle.

CHIPTUNE

I've asked many gabba/breakcore/dnb people about what was actually made (mostly) with the internal Amiga sound: Catani, Mark from Bloody Fist, Fifth Era, those Newcastle gabba people, Aphrodite, Low Res Records, etc. But if you have specific suggestions of releases that are not on the list, let's hear them!

@lazer: i've decided to leave out game music soundtracks. but there were plenty of beepy game soundtracks released also in the 1990s? was it perhaps even more popular in the 90s?

TSSBAY01

melodies from mars wasnt aphex twin, it was someone trolling. some sites report this as aphex twin, but its erroneous. not aphex twin, just some schmuck on slsk. not lookin for debate, however im certain tis not the man big_smile

boku mo wakaran and samurai math beats by bogdan raczynski was chip stuff that came out in the 90's on rephlex, a little more on the braindance/idm side of things, but the synths were pure chip samples. he released as karl in the mid 90's on kosmic and later as ice climber. even written in scream tracker/impulse tracker.

cobra laser also came out in the 90's if i remember correctly and was really lush zx spectrum stuff.

Toronto

I know there was a german band called Welle:Erdball who was around during the nineties. They used the C64 a lot.

I dunno if that is the kind of sound you are thinking of though.

CHIPTUNE

@temp: actually, you're right that bogdan's stuff has a very chippy sound to it. ft2-chip-style, but what the heck. but what's cobra laser? sounds amazing smile

@jakten: yep, i've sort of forgot to look into their stuff coz it's really not my kind of music. but i just found a torrent so i'll plow through it.... :I

CHIPTUNE

ok, so i've fast-forwarded through the history of welle: erdball hehe. there's about 10-15 C64-songs in there - they're all called xxxx (c-64 version). first release with more than one c64-song is from 2001. in general, there's just the occasional 64-version of songs here and there. so, yeah, that's it. now back to ergo phizmiz's 15 hour song!