As long as we have young people who appreciate it, it will live on. Unfortunately, the emotional connection may not carry over as strongly into the youth of the new generations.

Now, I believe that classic sounds will always live on as a reference (for anything not just chip sounds). For example: the iPhone makes a shutter sound and has no physical analog camera. The checkout on amazon is a shopping cart. To call someone, your cell phone has an old timey wall-phone icon. Why is this? These are all "skeumorphs" and while they have no significance whatsoever and technology has passed them, they still linger because of their place they carved into culture. Chipmusic will forever be that way. Modern video game scores (or at least a lot) still have that Namco 163 sound and it's no surprise why because of the association that was created in it's formative period. It's irreplaceable, but really only from a social standpoint.

From the standpoint of chip music as a scene, it may die out, but I have hope While I find that the limits of working with hardware are quite exciting and challenging as a musician. It may not simply die out with those who experienced it firsthand. You find people all over the Internet that are 50s-philes and 60s-philes buying record players and wearing cat-eye glasses even though they had no firsthand connection to the era. I'm already finding 90s ones crop up all over the place. The only difference is that the 50s-60s folk are a bit more removed.

I grew up playing n64. Never had a console with a "classic chip-music" sound card in it, but the 8-bit (or however little bits) sound was extraordinary. I think the draw is immense compared to a lot of other archaic ways of making music.

But yeah to sum it up i have hope.

Chips & Dip :3
n00bstar wrote:

Anabamavacagafaratajakalalapalanamaguchi.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Victory Road wrote:

everything will disappear someday

P.S. sorry (i guess?) for having a video-game-reference name :v

I wouldn't worry about it, perceptions on this stuff are all personal based on how people got into it really.  Some of us old farts are perplexed by the console/game associations because our first chip music was probably written by hand in BASIC. smile

Gosford, Australia
4mat wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

everything will disappear someday

P.S. sorry (i guess?) for having a video-game-reference name :v

I wouldn't worry about it, perceptions on this stuff are all personal based on how people got into it really.  Some of us old farts are perplexed by the console/game associations because our first chip music was probably written by hand in BASIC. smile

yea absolutely! i just wonder if these kind of names are undermining the "punk" aspect of the scene by tying it to a culture that's intrinsically capitalistic? maybe i'm just channeling zan-zan now tongue

but tbh i've almost entirely strayed from using gaming imagery since very early on anyway, cause it's just not who i am. but i guess i stuck with the name cause it represents a whole lot of things that don't really have anything to do with pokemon (which is probably why the people who made pokemon came up with it in the first place, fancy that)

France (au milieu)

feel much more concerned about gorillas, whales or bees, to be honest...

shit... i'm a treehugging hippie... gasp... :'(

Chips & Dip :3

All it's gonna take is for some guy with a connection to a really popular media source(s) to find (good) chipmusic and then WHAMO it'll be the coolest shit to everyone.

metatronaut wrote:

All it's gonna take is for some guy with a connection to a really popular media source(s) to find (good) chipmusic and then WHAMO it'll be the coolest shit to everyone.

I think you're right. It's going to be like dubstep, where it existed for a while then caught a bunch of attention (probably due to mary anne hobbs playing it on BBC's radio one), then blew up. But then certain artists came along (ahem I'm looking at you skrillex) and people started associating them with dubstep even though it was really something else. And now what people consider "dubstep" is completely different than what it started out as.

So as much as I want more people to become interested in it, at the same time I don't. I'm afraid it's going to get twisted up and made into something else so that it's easier to consume by the general public. Much like dubstep, since most people probably haven't even heard of Skream, Benga, DMZ, Loefah, etc. but everyone has heard of Skrillex, Rusko, Boregore.

/rant haha

Well it's already had it's "big debut" with the Blip Festival/Malcolm Mclaren etc. coverage a few years back.   Personally I think one artist will have a break-out hit and there'll maybe be two or three more artists off the back of that, and it won't be called chipmusic.  (my money is probably on Sabrepulse)   I mean, chipmusic is all over games and on the back of certain tv show segments, if it was going to be a major "genre" in it's own right I reckon it would have happened by now.

Brunswick, GA USA
metatronaut wrote:

Apparently you missed it when Timbaland squirted diarrhea into a ceiling fan and flung nasty rain all over the world in the form of a song titled "Do It."

I agree with 4mat and Swimm's assessment, that there are people who preserve all kinds of ancient music, this kind is just another one. I'll add that forms of music get misinterpreted (and then get famous around the world in that misunderstood version) with some regularity.

To Delek specifically, make Deflemask into something people enjoy using and there will be nothing to worry about. wink

NC in the US of America
iron_or wrote:

Now, I believe that classic sounds will always live on as a reference (for anything not just chip sounds). For example: the iPhone makes a shutter sound and has no physical analog camera. The checkout on amazon is a shopping cart. To call someone, your cell phone has an old timey wall-phone icon.

And don't forget the floppy disk save button icon

England

someone will open a chipmusic themed vegan cafe in berlin.

Liverpool, UK
chunter wrote:
metatronaut wrote:

Apparently you missed it when Timbaland squirted diarrhea into a ceiling fan and flung nasty rain all over the world in the form of a song titled "Do It."

Calling Acidjazzed Evening diarrhea? That's a paddling.

Unsubscribe
SketchMan3 wrote:
iron_or wrote:

Now, I believe that classic sounds will always live on as a reference (for anything not just chip sounds). For example: the iPhone makes a shutter sound and has no physical analog camera. The checkout on amazon is a shopping cart. To call someone, your cell phone has an old timey wall-phone icon.

And don't forget the floppy disk save button icon

Yea my liquor store sells my booze with a cash register that uses the sonic rings.

kuzimoto wrote:
metatronaut wrote:

And now what people consider "dubstep" is completely different than what it started out as.

I hear ya, i got into dubstep whenever DMZ002 was released, i think that vinyl is worth 100 quid now ha ha

however, I am 100% certain, and its one of the nicest things about chiptune, that it will stay at a small underground level forever, and exist until its impossible to source the kit. the bigger festivals like superbyte and square sounds and blip etc, are the limit IMHO, but their own limits are infinite, as are that of us producers

Jellica wrote:

someone will open a chipmusic themed vegan cafe in berlin.

Don't rush me, I don't have enough cash for the ticket to Berlin yet.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:44 pm)