logan city, UT, USA

so, i have both a gameboy and a NES, and was wondering if there is any differences in what functions they perform, i know they both allow you to plug a keyboard (PS/2 for LSDJ and MIDI for Chip Maestro) and use the gameboy/NES as a MIDI synthesizer, but is there any stark differences that i should know about, before i choose which path i want to go down? the gameboy one would be nice, because it's more portable than the NES, but the NES is actually mine. (the gameboy is my friend's grandma's, but i'll buy my own when i decide which way i want to go)

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:21 am)

logan city, UT, USA

wait, so LSDJ doesn't let you use a gameboy DMG,GBA, or GBC like a MIDI synth? is there anything that will?

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:20 am)

logan city, UT, USA

i thought that might happen : / shame. . .  guess i'll grab my wallet and get a chip maestro! (apparently the guy is making another batch finally : / )

Gosford, Australia

would it even be possible to make a big fat cart for LSDJ with a midi input?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Victory Road wrote:

LSDJ uses the ext. port for communication with a keyboard or arduinoboy. It might be possible to internally rewire some rarely used pins like the audio-in pin to the ext. pins and then it would be possible to have a cardridge with an internal arduinoboy and MIDI in/out ports. However, it would only work in a Game Boy that had been internally modified to support it.

logan city, UT, USA
jefftheworld wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

LSDJ uses the ext. port for communication with a keyboard or arduinoboy. It might be possible to internally rewire some rarely used pins like the audio-in pin to the ext. pins and then it would be possible to have a cardridge with an internal arduinoboy and MIDI in/out ports. However, it would only work in a Game Boy that had been internally modified to support it.

whoa, whoa, whoa, you mean to say that there is an extra "audio in" pin?
hmmm, i must look into this.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The8BitMachine wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Pin 31.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7071/ … d-channel/

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 3, 2015 4:41 am)

Seattle, WA

I might really do some research before deciding on a chip maestro though, I don't own one my self but word on the internet is that you literally get a steaming box of shit that doesn't work.

Unsubscribe

LSDJ is also able to be be bought and used before you dump a bunch of cash on hardware with an emulator.

Chicago IL
The8BitMachine wrote:

whoa, whoa, whoa, you mean to say you needed help just figuring out the difference between LSDJ and Chip Maestro, and you think you're going to be doing something with that audio-in pin?

Abandoned on Fire
Saskrotch wrote:
The8BitMachine wrote:

whoa, whoa, whoa, you mean to say you needed help just figuring out the difference between LSDJ and Chip Maestro, and you think you're going to be doing something with that audio-in pin?

Saskrotch wrote:
The8BitMachine wrote:

:D

logan city, UT, USA
Saskrotch wrote:
The8BitMachine wrote:

eeeeyup : 3 i didn't know EXACTLY what in heck the LSDJ cartridge could do, and whether the "gameboy color keyboard mod" video on youtube was for reals. So ya, i'll think about that pin 31, and what i could do woth it in the future. ; )