London, UK

Greetings everyone smile

I just recently bought a Game boy Pocket with clockmod from one of the guys here, and it seems to have some dimming issues when running LSDj in both normal and clockmod mode. As soon as it starts playing, the screen becomes super bright and impossible to read/adjust.

I am using LSDj flashed on a 64m smart card, and I was wondering whether I would experience the same issue using a Drag n Derp cart or not.. if so, what is the easiest/most effective fix for this?

Buffalo

I experience a similar thing when running LSDj on my DMG using a 64m smart card, but only when I have low batteries. So maybe try swapping out the the batteries, and see if that fixes it? But this is on a DMG with no clockmod, so maybe not.

London, UK

I tried it with fresh batteries and there doesn't seem to be any improvement.. might get a 9v adaptor and see if that works

Sweden

Hello!

I have a backlight modded pocket and 64m smartcard. No clockmod though.
My screen/backlight always gets slightly dimmed when playing in LSDJ. I get more dimming on low batteries.
Even on 9v this dimming is noticable (but this is not a big problem really).

I haven't got this super bright problem you describe and adjusting the screen works at it should.

If you use rechargeable batteries, try regular ones. This makes a difference in screen brightness for me.

London, UK

I am currently using regular batteries.. I might post a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of the problem smile

Sometimes the solder points used can be touchy on certain games / flashcarts I've noticed.
What solder points are being used on your Pocket out of curiosity...?

Washington, PA

The problem is that the backlight pulls way too much power for the 2 AAA batteries the Pocket runs on. The way to fix it is to add a resistor. According to this thread (http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/12898 … -software/), Thursday Customs recommends between 100-220 ohm and there may be some guess work involved.

I actually just had to send my Pocket back to a modder who did mine and he put in a 220ohm one. I haven't gotten it back yet to check how it works, but I'd bet the LED colors that drain more power (white, blue, green) probably need more resistance than other colors. But I only had problems when using LSDJ. The contrast would always change as soon as I pressed start... though it didn't seem to happen as much with the AC adapter.

Washington, PA

Also, I had dimming on both EMS and DND carts. It was much more pronounced on the EMS cart, though.

London, UK
Koji-Kendo wrote:

What solder points are being used on your Pocket out of curiosity...?

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever.. I just received it and I am not familiar with soldering at all (this reminds me I should take some time to learn)

About the resistor, I'll try to find someone in the area that can help me fix the issue, but I'll try running it with an adapter.. it's weird though, if the backlight pulls too much power, the brightness should always be the same, right? or does it have something to do with LSDj running..?

Anyway, I'll post some pics tonight.

Washington, PA
Sonic Boy wrote:

About the resistor, I'll try to find someone in the area that can help me fix the issue, but I'll try running it with an adapter.. it's weird though, if the backlight pulls too much power, the brightness should always be the same, right? or does it have something to do with LSDj running..?

I was assuming that it's not the light dimming, but the actual LCD screen. When you hit play, it has to pull more power to start the sound and with the backlight draining a lot, the LCD goes faint, much like it would with low batteries.

I didn't find the problem with any games, so it could be LSDJ... but I'm pretty sure it uses much more CPU power than a standard game anyway.

London, UK

...aaaand I forgot to post pictures again big_smile

But yeah the issue has been identified thoroughly, unfortunately I don't have any games nor Nanoloop one to try whether this is just an LSDj issue.. anyway, thank you very much guys, I think I'll try what's been suggested and then will get back at you if I have other issues smile

Last edited by Sonic Boy (Apr 30, 2015 8:54 am)

Sweden

I have been thinking about a small mod:
Would it be possible to install a switch to toggle the backlight on/off?
Or will nothing be visible on the screen when the backlight is off?

Chips & Dip :3

Happens to me all the time on both of my DMGs. I'm fairly sure it's just a battery life issue. But then again, DMG =/= GBP tongue

Washington, PA

I got my Pocket back today with a 220ohm resistor added in. I played with it on battery power for about an hour or so earlier and didn't find any of the dreaded dimming problem. The light panel is a bit dimmer, but everything else seems to be good.

jmc1987 wrote:

I got my Pocket back today with a 220ohm resistor added in. I played with it on battery power for about an hour or so earlier and didn't find any of the dreaded dimming problem. The light panel is a bit dimmer, but everything else seems to be good.

Ive noticed the same improvement using a 1k ohm trim-pots on dmg, pocket and color.
I now use them almost exlcusively for this and being able to chage the brightness at will is awesome.

Washington, PA
Koji-Kendo wrote:

Ive noticed the same improvement using a 1k ohm trim-pots on dmg, pocket and color.
I now use them almost exlcusively for this and being able to chage the brightness at will is awesome.

Are they the same ones you recommended for the Color frontlight kit? I got some today and they're really tiny... seems perfect for adding a brightness control.