Toronto, Ontario, Canada
pselodux wrote:

Oh man, that would be painful!

It's not as bad as it sounds but it's no picnic.

Bristol, UK

Seriously, just avoid using E commands within the chains where possible, I never notice any clicks unless i'm creating an envelope in a table.

Gosford, Australia

yep, removing clicks in post = manually selecting the clicks and deleting them, or drawing ridiculously fast volume envelopes to conceal them. not fun!

re: E commands, i've noticed little clicks, but nothing as bad as panning or wave channel stuff. might be different between DMG/CGB/emulator?

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 6, 2015 9:31 am)

Michigan

The real questions are these:

What envelopes are giving you trouble?
Are you you using a table to envelope the instrument?
Is the instrument a wav, pulse, or noise?

Please don't fear the E command because of a little clicking. Gameboys were never intended to be used for music production. It's crucial to remember that using the for the aforementioned is like driving a moped on the autobahn.

Arkansas

So I used the E command instead of the K command, and it seems to work better for me. No clicks or anything. I'm working on a track currently, and when its finished I'll post it up for feedback. I think it'll turn out well.

Gosford, Australia
Tybre wrote:

So I used the E command instead of the K command, and it seems to work better for me. No clicks or anything. I'm working on a track currently, and when its finished I'll post it up for feedback. I think it'll turn out well.

E00 doesn't actually stop the note playing, so you're probably better off using K commands once you start running complicated tables so you don't overload the CPU

but then if you're not using a brick or pocket you probably don't need to worry about CPU

Arkansas

This is what I did:

The 1+ octave transposition was just to give it a nice "plop" sound.

Michigan
Tybre wrote:

This is what I did:

The 1+ octave transposition was just to give it a nice "plop" sound.

One issue I see with the table is that if you don't kill the note, the table will wrap and re-envelope the note. This will cause the note to play again. If you throw a H03 on line 4, it won't.

Arkansas

I see! Thanks for that information. I did always notice that whenever the phrase would end, it would do some never-ending delay. That fixed the problem though. This is what I've made just recently: http://chipmusic.org/tybre/music/reggae-tune

Chicago

One thing that's always confused me is why, if you put a kill (K) command at the bottom of that table, it can create a loud click, even though the note is completely faded out at that point.

Los Angeles, CA
QuietMind wrote:

One thing that's always confused me is why, if you put a kill (K) command at the bottom of that table, it can create a loud click, even though the note is completely faded out at that point.

Victory Road wrote:

E00 doesn't actually stop the note playing, so you're probably better off using K commands once you start running complicated tables so you don't overload the CPU

but then if you're not using a brick or pocket you probably don't need to worry about CPU

The note being quiet enough for you to not hear doesn't mean anything to the CPU.  It just makes that click when you end a note with a K command.

Seattle, WA

Also, if you're only putting the E command in the table it would be better to just make it the instrument's evelope. When you're changing the envelope in a table or in the commands column of a phrase I've noticed it's always clickier than the regular instrument envelope.