Florida
The One Electronic wrote:

can someone reverse engineer this already so we can make a better version

I dont know why they gave up the first time when they tried to reverse engineer the midines, but it would be great if that project could become reality.

Unsubscribe

Its kinda scummy to "reverse engineer" midines, no matter how you feel about the way wayfar handles business.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

Its kinda scummy to "reverse engineer" midines, no matter how you feel about the way wayfar handles business.

Reverse engineering it to sell a replica is shitty, but reverse engineering it to fix issues with it or add features is pretty alright in my books. If someone offered a drop in chip or documented some hardware mods that fixed things or added features I wouldn't feel bad at all about that.

Florida

I just wish there was a good alternative.  Chip maestro is hard to use and lacking overall, and theres been little information on what fami will be able to do or when it will come out.

Unsubscribe

for me I sold my midines for a nice profit and do everything i need to do in piggy or chipsounds. Or Famitracker. FaMi will be worth the wait is all ill say.

Anyways i would encourage the OP to try the midines on another NES. You cant compare it to other carts as its not using the NES like the other carts are using it.

Last edited by herr_prof (Jun 11, 2015 10:36 pm)

Clermont-Ferrand, France
herr_prof wrote:

FaMi will be worth the wait is all ill say.

I think so too.

Kinda stupid question, but is the lockout chip disabled ? Even if it seems that the MidiNES interprets MIDI in signals that don't exist, it might be worth trying to do so, as we have no clue about what might be dysfunctionning inside the cart. I doubt that it'll work though.

Brooklyn, NY

Been pretty much full time on FaMI for the past three months, incredibly happy with how it's coming out. I think you'll all be excited for the new features - please hang tight, news soon!

Florida
Batsly Adams wrote:

Been pretty much full time on FaMI for the past three months, incredibly happy with how it's coming out. I think you'll all be excited for the new features - please hang tight, news soon!

Thanks for the update, I'll probably be using FaMI whenever it is finished smile

Austin, TX

So I've actually been very interested in reverse engineering the MidiNES. I was thinking of pulling the rom file from my cartridge using a Kazzo NES Dumper, putting together a bill of materials w/ assembly instructions, then releasing all of it to the public. I don't have the time or lack of morals to sell repros.

Florida
Boddah wrote:

So I've actually been very interested in reverse engineering the MidiNES. I was thinking of pulling the rom file from my cartridge using a Kazzo NES Dumper, putting together a bill of materials w/ assembly instructions, then releasing all of it to the public. I don't have the time or lack of morals to sell repros.

To be honest, based on what other people have said, it would be pretty easy.  Someone just needs to have the time to do it.  At this point, with other midi options becoming available, I'd mainly be interested in reverse engineering the MIDINES simply so there can be a complete understanding of how it works.  I could probably fix my cartridge if that were so.

NUMBSKULL

I feel like the people capable of understanding how the midines works probably already do. I wouldn't be surprised if building your own with one of the Infinite NES Lives carts is pretty easy. In fact, I'm pretty sure the cart in the OP is a predecessor to the INL cart. One things for sure, wayfar didn't have that flash cart produced for the midi nes. I would love to see a rom dump though.

That being said, I fully expect the FaMI to be much better than the midi nes. If only for the fact that batsly adams isn't going to screw us over. Just the fact that he's been so reluctant to drop any details even given his months of hard work says to me that he takes the project and the community very seriously and isn't setting any expectations before he know's he can deliver. I have in my hands a Star Versus cart that uses the flash cart he designed and I can say it is a quality production. I can only hope FaMI will be the same!

Last edited by catskull (Jun 22, 2015 4:22 pm)

Brooklyn, NY

Thanks guys, appreciate the faith.

The software/hardware is nearly done, really just holding out to release a trailer that will showcase all of the features at once. I'll be starting a new thread soon.

Dallas, Texas
Boddah wrote:

There are many problems with this approach. It is very likely that the MidiNES uses a custom mapper not supported by the Kazzo. I doubt you can plug this kind of a cart into such a simple dumper and get what you're after. Also both PICs used in the cart are locked., and will cost you $350 to get dumped. I know because this has been done before.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Jun 22, 2015 7:33 am)

Austin, TX

@tylerbarnes I'll take your word for it, I don't have much rom dumping experience. Locked chips and all that is way over my head, but you say it's been done before? Done, or only attempted? If someone has successfully dumped the files previously and they are hosted somewhere, could they be edited and compiled into an unlocked, flasher-friendly file?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Depending on the particular chip the locking mechanism may be easy or very hard to circumvent. Some chips can be tricked with quick transient voltages to unlock but others would require decapping, a process which I'm basically going to tell you now is too dangerous to do yourself (and would cost a lot to get done semi-professionally).

Unsubscribe

Most modern midines carts use the squeedo mapper and dev cart:
http://membler-industries.com/squeedo/2 … mapper.txt

Last edited by herr_prof (Jun 23, 2015 10:28 pm)