Long Beach/Orange County, CA

Hello there!

I'm not sure if introduction threads are received warmly here, but since I'm normally more of a lurker than a poster I figured I'd turn habit on its head and say HELLO.

My name is Skoddie (seriously), and I've been a fan of the chiptune/demoscene crowd for any number of years without actively participating myself. I've been a gamer of all types since I could form words(DOOM shall never die), and a....lets say music enthusiast since shortly thereafter. Believe it or not, I actually attended college for synthesis a number of years back, and also worked in the exciting field of audio engineering/pro audio. Due to some unfortunate events from ~2008-late 2014 I took a hiatus from playing/experimenting/creating music (and sadly mothballed a Fodera for some time), but I've been recently inspired and have had some EXTREMELY pleasing results recently with sample based experimental, meterless, droneish.....music(?) I'm sure I could come up with some compelling argument that it's music, but either way I rather enjoy listening to it and have gotten old enough that personal appreciation is all that really matters.

All of that boringness aside, I messed around with LSDJ a bit in the early 2000s, but not having the funds for a flashcart I ended up getting distracted with dull 'traditional' instruments. Fast forward to today, and I've been having an itch to take a serious attempt at making some old fashioned gameboy noise. I've gone an ordered myself a DMG and a cart and am seriously looking forward to spending hours squinting, toiling, and otherwise frustrating myself to (hopefully) make some pretty awesome music.

Anyways, my storied bio aside, I'm planning to make Chipmusic a regular stop in my internet habits, so clearly you should expect to see me asking duplicate questions without searching, posting unsolicited links to my non-chip music, and writing horrifically long run on sentences that never seem to end even though they clearly should have stopped probably 5 commas ago big_smile

In addition to video gaming, chiptunes, and demos, I'm a huge enthusiast of tabletop RPGs and (non-boffer) LARPs, so if anybody who kept reading this post to this paragraph would like to chat about those feel free to message me or reply to this thread wink

I'm looking forward to joining this community, and can't wait for the cool interactions/music it will (hopefully) bring!

heart Skoddie

NUMBSKULL

Welcome! I normally don't look at welcome threads, but I'm glad I looked at this one! You'll be a valuable member of the community and I'm excited to hear your "songs". wink

Two suggestions:

There is a sticky thread for introductions, just so the the site doesn't get too hairy with thousands of old intro threads. I'd recommend just copy-pasting this exact post there: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7043/ … on-thread/  You could also PM a mod to delete this thread, but it's really not a big deal.

I would also maybe recommend using your real location (or at least area) in your profile. It's useful if you ever buy or sell things on the trading post as well as for people that may be in your area that would want to meet up to hang/play shows/whatever. Again, not a super big deal. smile

Welcome to cm.org!

PS: I wouldn't be too worried about not searching before posting, the sites search engine is pretty horrible. Sometimes I google "MY QUESTION chipmusic.org" and that seems to work better.

Long Beach/Orange County, CA

Ah! I should have looked more closely, and realized there was already a thread. I'll take this mistaken first post as a 'lesson learned' wink

I always worry about providing anything too close to exact physical coordinates, but I take your point. I had made a conscious decision not to plug my non-chip material, however since you mentioned it you can find my "songs" at soundcloud.com/skoddie smile If you use Spotify you can search for "Skoddie" and you'll find an album I released earlier this month.

Glad to be received well, and I'm looking forward to the months, and hopefully years ahead!