PDX
irrlichtproject wrote:
RushCoil wrote:

... Jesus Camp (I grew up around the stuff in this film - it scares me)

saw that one recently, it's awesome!!! having grown up in an atheist country, i thought it was hilarious, but if you have been involved with these people then i bet it's pretty scary.

Being an atheist around here is grounds for death or blacklisting. In my city they put up one of those Dawkins-esque billboards and someone RIPPED THE BILLBOARD DOWN with some sort of large truck or tractor, LOL WTF, a14' x 48' sign.

uhajdafdfdfa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Atte … ilmography

The only documentaries I'll ever need. smile

England

I fucking hate those freek show Channel 4 documentories like the girl with 10 heads, the man with 20 penises, etc..

We should just start up the circus side show again.

Yeah David Attenborough rules, what are we going to do when he dies? There really is nothing quite like watching him standing next to two turtles rutting on a rock. I really don't think Bill Odie could pull that one off.

brooklyn!

REFORMAT THE PLANET DUDE EVER HEARD OF IT CHECK IT OUT
jokes.

heima, the sigur ros documentary/concert dvd is really gorgeous, highly recommended. i've also been trying to see food, inc. for a while. check that out too!

Nomad's Land
RushCoil wrote:
irrlichtproject wrote:

saw that one recently, it's awesome!!! having grown up in an atheist country, i thought it was hilarious, but if you have been involved with these people then i bet it's pretty scary.

Being an atheist around here is grounds for death or blacklisting. In my city they put up one of those Dawkins-esque billboards and someone RIPPED THE BILLBOARD DOWN with some sort of large truck or tractor, LOL WTF, a14' x 48' sign.

what the... fucking rednecks wink

another rather disturbing but extremely well done experimental documentary about people and their pets: Animal Love by Ulrich Seidl (it was banned in several countries so it must be good hehe). btw the guy also made a documentary on christians called Jesus, You Know. Haven't seen it but it's also supposed to be a good one.

King Of Kong is a pretty neat documentary for those who are interested in competitive gaming on old cabinet arcade systems.

New York, New York
Bit Shifter wrote:

I really liked BBS: The Documentary, about early dial-up bulletin board technology & subcultures.

Ooou, where did you see and/or find that?

New York, New York

Crumb is another great documentary.

BK
likeluke wrote:

jokes.

heima, the sigur ros documentary/concert dvd is really gorgeous, highly recommended. i've also been trying to see food, inc. for a while. check that out too!

Heima is AMAZING. Really a beautiful film.

I liked Word Wars, it's about competitive Scrabble players. A little weird but definitely interesting.
You could also just browse Hulu, they have a ton of documentaries on there to watch for free and occasionally you get a good one.

Philly
Russolo wrote:

Who the Fuck is Jackson Pollock: loved this movei, its about a lady who picks up a possible Jackson Pollock from a thrist stroe and attempts to see if its worth anything, interesting look into the art world

Just watched this because it was on Netflix.  Pretty great!  Really makes me hate art people though tongue Thanks so much for all the suggestions!  Hopefully I'll be able to get to all of these badboys

Kalamazoo

BBC documentary (i think) called "century of the self". It's really interesting and is about how freud's nephew used his principles and applied them to marketing/public relations/propaganda. He was a huge success and the practices are still in place today. It's an awesome documentary

Scratch.

lolusa
Esopus-dragon wrote:
Bit Shifter wrote:

I really liked BBS: The Documentary, about early dial-up bulletin board technology & subcultures.

Ooou, where did you see and/or find that?

I remember it on google videos a couple of years ago...might or might not still be up

Ontario, Canada

All of the Classic Albums documentaries.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
likeluke wrote:

lol

San Luis Obispo, CA

For fans of experimental electronic movies, People Who Do Noise is a really awesome doc that explores the Portland noise scene. Really great stuff, and you can find it on Netflix.