Germany

Good morning folks. Oh thats a real important post. Well, in my opinion there is maybe another little hope for chipmusic. The money that you need to make chipmusic, for the setup, you know. old computers, gameboys and more ... is not so much and for everyone how wants to be creative in this kind of music, he can do it with a little budget. So in this way i am sure. This subculture will live forever.
Sorry for my bad english wink
Regards duality micro
www.evadum.de

Last edited by shemusic (Jul 25, 2015 4:10 am)

Seattle, WA
shemusic wrote:

"Chiptune" music in 2015 is alive and well.. kind of.
For the younger audience and people that didn't really grow up with the 3 channel/1 noise setup, EDM + some random bleeps is "chiptune".
Just listen to some DJ Cutman compilations or Streams on Twitch. It's filled with EDM and bleeps.

I'm a huge fan of your work but this is the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited by shemusic (Jul 25, 2015 4:10 am)

Abandoned on Fire
shemusic wrote:

It really depends how you classify "chiptune" in the first place.
Let me dive into a little rant about chiptune and the genre of chiptune/8bit etc..

"Chiptune" music in 2015 is alive and well.. kind of.
For the younger audience and people that didn't really grow up with the 3 channel/1 noise setup, EDM + some random bleeps is "chiptune".
Just listen to some DJ Cutman compilations or Streams on Twitch. It's filled with EDM and bleeps.

Now, The question is, do we want to keep beating a dead horse and keep chiptune strictly music and sounds generated from CHIP or emulations of Chips? Or is there a way to grow the genre but still keep an authentic chip sound. I believe there is a way.

My opinion on making "game music sounding songs" or "game music covers" is kind of like beating a dead horse to be honest.

On the other side you have the EDM + BLEED BLOOP sound music which i myself do no classify as Chiptune at all.
For me, you can not use EDM drums a.k.a Real Drum hits and drumsets/Electronic drums, VST synths and Dubstep drops with some random "chiptune" melodies and call that "chiptune music" IMO.

In my opinion, a chiptune song should have mostly chip generated sounds.
That means 4bit sounds, Including drums.

There is another way to grow the genre of "chiptune music" and that is to grow away from the "Game Music Soundtrack" sounding songs and maybe explore Sounds generated from Chips like Nintendo, C64 etc and Utilize those sounds to the fullest within other genres like Alternative Rock, Electronica and even Classical.. and why not add Vocals.

But you keep the soul and the base sound/90% of the sound generated by 4bit/8bit sounds.
Imagine; The Doors - Light my Fire with everything in 4bit sounds except the vocals. I would consider that a new step in Chiptune music.

A step where Chip music can actually have an impact on modern music, instead of having random bleeps within a song.

Make an Entire song out of sounds from 4bit/8bit chips.. emulated or not. But keep that as a base, and then add vocals and there you go.
I think chiptune music can survive and i believe chiptune music can grow beyond indie and expand into the mainstream.

Heartful and honest music composed with 4/8 bit sounds and melodies. That is what is lacking at this moment, that is what i want to hear from chiptune.

Look just a little deeper than the "chipscene top 40" and you'll find plenty of the music you're describing.

Some examples of varying genres: J. Arthur Keenes, Shitbird, Bit Mummy, Solarbear, Jay Tholen, ... so many more!

Last edited by shemusic (Jul 25, 2015 4:11 am)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm)

Last edited by shemusic (Jul 25, 2015 4:11 am)

barf
n00bstar wrote:

MG THIS WALTER CARLOS D

*wendy

Seattle, WA US

man I hate this thread

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Guys, it's been over 30 years since the beginning of the 'chiptune scene', can we stop asking if chiptune music is dead? Some people will always continue with the traditional chip sound, sound people will work to combine it with other genres. That's how it's always been, that's how it'll be for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jul 25, 2015 3:59 am)

Baja California

didn't realize before that we're havin' existential crisis in the forum again, sorry

Toronto, Canada

is it that time of the month again?

perth, WA

eyyy

Seattle, WA
atomsmasha wrote:

eyyy

It makes me a little sad that I have no idea what happened to ant1 and that the "remember blipfest?" part is increasingly relevant.

That being said I think some of the things people are releasing now are orders of magnitude more technically complex (and in my opinion, better) than the chipmusic people tend to get nostalgic over.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm)