France
shemusic wrote:

Last edited by shemusic (Today 4:10 am)

I don't know if chiptune will disappear, but I'm afraid some of us are disappearing slowly...

Dire Hit wrote:

That being said I think some of the things people are releasing now are orders of magnitude more technically complex (and in my opinion, better) than the chipmusic people tend to get nostalgic over.

hmm, I'm not really sure of this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC4gaaDFjE4
This kind of (old) music is both technically advanced and full of awesome melodies.

Last edited by garvalf (Jul 25, 2015 3:31 pm)

Unsubscribe

what if the entire chipscene is slowly being replaced by lizard people

Well, hello gals and guys. Pardon me if I intrudee..
I don't really believe stuff really disappear. Actually I don't believe the disappearing really exist.. even in the terms of science, something vanishing from existence just doesn't exist. Rather that is scrubbing dirt from a wall to light being sucked into a black hole.. But in this case, chiptune from humanity. If you really think about stuff just don't vanish, it's always leaving something behind or growing into something more. it usually always does a little of both.. Anyway, chiptune exactly be the same as both you and I know it as today... But into something much bigger or be a part of something big. Chiptune music might inspire a certain person in our world to use certain elements and tunes to make their own music which would become popular and well known around the world. Or perhaps maybe not enough people got the a good taste of chiptune, but once they do it may blossom into something more then we expected. Have you every heard the butterfly effect? Basically it goes one event triggers a whole another series events both big and small. That's basically what chiptune is doing now. It's going to evolve along side humans. And hey not convince yet? Well think of it like this, rap started small just like chiptune did. It started in Britain believe it or not. It had a pretty small community of it's own. I think jazz was big back then, and I'm sure they didn't expect it to be as big as it is now today. This world we share together is very unexpected and anything could happen, even to the smallest of things, or so we see it as. Chiptune has some serious rad relationships to humanity and it isn't leaving anytime soon. Maybe go caterpillar to butterfly on us but not leaving..

Sorry this post looks like a total mess. 
    ()
     (\ ||
      \\||
     /\(\L
     \/ > )
      \( (
       \  \_
      ((\  )\
       \\_/  \
        \_____\

Earth

Idea for YouTube viral video: Teens react to lsdj.

Chipmusic is fine outside of the 'chip scene', there's lots of new music, tools and r&d going on.  Probably because those guys just get on with things that interest them and aren't worried about being in any kind of scene at all.   (for a start there's certainly no 'cc' elsewhere, people just upload stuff and that's it, done. Who gives a toss what Johnny X from Y thinks about your bass drum sounds?) 

I can see why people are getting bored if they focus on the same kit though, branch out a bit.   If you can, write more tools and drivers and focus less on the actual music when you don't feel inspired.  That'll keep it fresh.  This is still supposed to be an 'underground' music scene one way or another, so experiment.  It's not like there's a record label breathing down your neck.

As an example, go download the latest HVSC pack and have a listen to Alan Bond's new sid suite "100% basic project".  64 algorithmic pieces written in BASIC that sound like nothing else going on right now.  Inspiring stuff, you can even load them into your c64 and see how he did it.

For me, personally, I see this happening over a series of decades... just like silent films and 1950s television. Even if chip music itself survives over the years, I don't know how well today's games will (or even the games from 30 years ago... yes, I almost think they might actually outlast today's games interestingly enough).

I think the SNES has had much more staying power than some of the other chips I've seen over the years for the sheer variety of sounds you can get off of it. You can even do pitch modulation with almost any sample that can fit in there. The only catch is that you have to actually program a sound driver for it or use something that most likely converts tracker modules to SNES music (I currently use a hacked version of mukunda's SNESMod when I want to get really fancy with pitch modulation and noise, and I'm thinking about making my own so I can swap data in and out). My fandom for the SNES is older than this very username, personally.

For the NES, I have an idea in my head on how to pull off some psuedo-DPCM synth, whether it be by changing the reset point or rigging the starting value each time. Other than that, I'm not as interested... and this is something that I have known since 2007, finally went authentic in 2012 thanks to Battle of the Bits  (and it2nsf), and then... I'm currently not as interested. I just don't quite see the variety (and when it came to Famicompo Pico, I ultimately failed to vote because nothing stuck out to me... not even something extraordinarily bad).

France
4mat wrote:

Alan Bond's new sid suite "100% basic project".

very interesting indeed! I like most of what I've heard... I can't find any website about this project. Is there one, or some code?

Earth
4mat wrote:

Chipmusic is fine outside of the 'chip scene', there's lots of new music, tools and r&d going on.  Probably because those guys just get on with things that interest them and aren't worried about being in any kind of scene at all.   (for a start there's certainly no 'cc' elsewhere, people just upload stuff and that's it, done. Who gives a toss what Johnny X from Y thinks about your bass drum sounds?)

I think that's a good way to look at it. Why is a scene needed at all? We have all the tools we need, and more are coming all the time.

But the OP was probably intended as a Mental exercise. Will kids keep making this stuff when were gone? I think the styles will change (the over compressed chip-house stuff will die, someday), but interest in classic computers will keep these sounds alive. Computer music certainly isn't going away, why should chipmusic? Also Super Mario is like Mickey Mouse; the sounds of those games will live on, and inspire people to dig into the past. As much as we hate that.

/dev/sda2

Chipmusic is dead, and we're eating its innards.

NC in the US of America
garvalf wrote:
shemusic wrote:

Last edited by shemusic (Today 4:10 am)

I don't know if chiptune will disappear, but I'm afraid some of us are disappearing slowly...

Dire Hit wrote:

That being said I think some of the things people are releasing now are orders of magnitude more technically complex (and in my opinion, better) than the chipmusic people tend to get nostalgic over.

hmm, I'm not really sure of this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC4gaaDFjE4
This kind of (old) music is both technically advanced and full of awesome melodies.

Video game music doesn't count ;7

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm)

Unsubscribe

no way the first chiptunes was the volk music of the elder gods from our homeworld.

Well, for all I know, chiptunes have technically existed since at least the 1930s (older than you might expect for this kind of genre) (if we're talking about the style of the sound and the fact that these sounds are technically synthesized with relatively simplistic waveforms). I think of these for a start...
https://youtu.be/YiIB36ZY0WM
https://youtu.be/Z7Zb4rso82M

Thus, chiptune has technically existed for a very long time, and perhaps they will continue to exist for that length of time.

Last edited by KungFuFurby (Jul 28, 2015 1:25 am)

Melbourne
herr_prof wrote:

no way the first chiptunes was the volk music of the elder gods from our homeworld.

wrong again

birdsong was the first chiptune. single channel ftw

United States

Finland

^