Nomad's Land

@snorkelitzor: Aww yes! Sounds good to my ears as well. Yeah, the inversion is unlikely to matter, in fact HT2's output is reverted from TI's standard, so you're basically putting it back to "normal" wink Btw a side benefit of this would be that you can have your headphones plugged in at all times (even during normal TI-OS operation), provided no voltage is flowing back from the amp to the TI.

@nonfinite: ...and so it begins yikes Small note, perhaps you could modify the text on the SilverLink a bit, because actually users should avoid installing the official TI Connect software, as it doesn't work with TI-82 and has limited functionality in general. So TiLP should be the first choice, unless you're on OS X where TiLP is known to currently not work properly.

perth, WA

i couldn't get TiLP working properly on my Win7 box, but TI Connect seemed to do the trick! (TI 84+ SE)

thanks for the tracker btw, it's really neat smile

irrlichtproject wrote:

@snorkelitzor: Aww yes! Sounds good to my ears as well. Yeah, the inversion is unlikely to matter, in fact HT2's output is reverted from TI's standard, so you're basically putting it back to "normal" wink Btw a side benefit of this would be that you can have your headphones plugged in at all times (even during normal TI-OS operation), provided no voltage is flowing back from the amp to the TI.

Hah! Nice! Inverting back to normal. smile
I´m glad you like how it sounds!
About voltage flowing back. I had to hold the invertors high if it was nothing playing  into the amp, that way the output is always zero when its silence. So there is a weak voltage flowing back. but it did not seem to matter to the calculator. I´v had it hooked up for hours.
Should I rethink?

Nomad's Land

Well, if plugging this in while on the home screen (ie not running HT2 or the shell) doesn't cause a massive slowdown of the calc, then I suppose you're good wink On the other hand, I guess you could simply add a couple of diodes, just to be on the safe side.

Madison, WI

I updated the description, thanks for the info. http://nonelectronics.com/ti/ti-graphlink

We just got a batch of 8 x TI-82s in! smile

Last edited by nonfinite (Nov 20, 2015 4:39 am)

Dallas, Texas
nonfinite wrote:

Hi there. Nonfinite Electronics is adding a section to our shop focused on Houston Tracker 2. We are currently stocking accessories for Texas Instruments devices, (adapters and official TI silver link/graphlink cables,) and have plans to add more.

See details here:

http://nonelectronics.com/blog/new-texa … to-nonelec

Backlights please!! wink

Poland, Gdansk
TylerBarnes wrote:
nonfinite wrote:

Hi there. Nonfinite Electronics is adding a section to our shop focused on Houston Tracker 2. We are currently stocking accessories for Texas Instruments devices, (adapters and official TI silver link/graphlink cables,) and have plans to add more.

See details here:

http://nonelectronics.com/blog/new-texa … to-nonelec

Backlights please!! wink

I was wondering how long will it take since the release of the tracker for the first backlight to show up

irrlichtproject wrote:

Well, if plugging this in while on the home screen (ie not running HT2 or the shell) doesn't cause a massive slowdown of the calc, then I suppose you're good wink On the other hand, I guess you could simply add a couple of diodes, just to be on the safe side.

Good point, not sure if I ever had it connected when not in HT2.
Will investigate.
And I´ll try it with a couple of diodes on my spagetti nest and see what happens.
To bad I ordered the pcb:s yesterday but one can always put the diodes off board for this batch.
I ordered 10, they had a special deal.
Now I just have to wait 4-100000 weeks for the things to ship from china.

France

just to be sure, I don't remember if I asked before, but sounds in HT2 are very short, and even shorter when we increase the tempo. If we want to get longer sounds, we just have to repeat the note right?

So instead of

B1
---
---
---
D1
---
---
---

I can write

B1
B1
B1
---
D1
D1
D1
---

I supposed there isn't an other way to increase the sound lenght.

Last edited by garvalf (Nov 21, 2015 10:35 am)

Nomad's Land

Regarding backlight, there have been several attempts at it. However I believe these designs would have a negative impact on sound quality. Also there's another issue: On the Plus models, drawing extra power from the batteries while running HT2 would almost certainly crash the calc. So any backlight design should preferably draw from it's own power source, perhaps an additional button cell or something.

@garvalf: Yes, that's pretty much the only choice you got. Which can be a bit annoying when you've only got sound in 1 channel due to row transition noise, so in that case it would be better to switch to a lower tempo with Fxx. In the upcoming 2.1 version, I've tried to reduce the transition noise a bit, but it's still far from perfect (and probably never will be due to the way the sound driver works).

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Nov 21, 2015 12:34 pm)

Dallas, Texas
irrlichtproject wrote:

Regarding backlight, there have been several attempts at it. However I believe these designs would have a negative impact on sound quality. Also there's another issue: On the Plus models, drawing extra power from the batteries while running HT2 would almost certainly crash the calc. So any backlight design should preferably draw from it's own power source, perhaps an additional button cell or something.

@garvalf: Yes, that's pretty much the only choice you got. Which can be a bit annoying when you've only got sound in 1 channel due to row transition noise, so in that case it would be better to switch to a lower tempo with Fxx. In the upcoming 2.1 version, I've tried to reduce the transition noise a bit, but it's still far from perfect (and probably never will be due to the way the sound driver works).

@irrlichtproject Hmm, those links are interesting. especially the EL one. it looks fantastic.. But I was thinking more like a diffuser polarizer combo and like two or three 3mm LEDs with proper current limiting resistors so they draw minimal power. Could we make a bright enough backlight with, lets say, 15-20mA and not compromise the TI's current needs?

@garvalf & irrlichtproject: That was one of the reasons I really like the first Houston Tracker. On engine 3 there was a global speed control that I could alter in such a way that none of my notes had to be repeated more that one frame unless it was masked by some percussion. I had to learn the speed values for every subdivision though. hmm

Madison, WI

I purchased a few TI-82s and would like to get HT2 on them. I attempted to get TiLP installed on my Mac (El Capitan) and had a hell of a time.  Installing packages so I can install packages so I can install other packages. Threw in the towel tonight after about an hour of installing packages in terminal. Is there a more straightforward way to do this?

Libticables2 wants glib, glib wants libffi. This is where I surrendered.

Last edited by nonfinite (Nov 24, 2015 5:32 am)

France

@nonfinite: can't you just use the windows version with wine? Or the official TI app for mac: https://education.ti.com/en/us/product- … s/download

Madison, WI

Sadly, I don't think that will work.  The official graph link software doesn't support the TI-82, which is the particular monster I am trying to tame at the moment.

I'm sloooooowly making progress with this nightmarish TiLP install. Got ticables2 installed, that's the latest dependency tilp is throwing. Now I have this (even though I can see the .pc file in usr/lib/pkg-config, what gives, path stuff?):

configure: error: Package requirements (ticables2 >= 1.3.0) were not met:

No package 'ticables2' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables TICABLES_CFLAGS
and TICABLES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wine might not work but a VM almost certainly would. Of course, it's a rather heavy-handed solution but might be worthwhile if you want to get going quickly.

Madison, WI

I got TiLP working (with about an hour of help from a software developer). The issue was dependencies and pkg-config not behaving as expected. I had used a few different package installers, macports, brew to try to get the dependencies and pkg-config had no idea where they were.

Brew helped a lot in the end, as it installs to the same directories as pkg-config.

The developer mentioned that we could probably benefit from making a brew keg to automate this process. I can see this install process being a huge barrier to entry for curious enthusiasts as-is.

Last edited by nonfinite (Nov 25, 2015 1:18 am)