France

I got my GB Boy Colour today. It works fine. Contrary to Maz'Hoot one, mine is turning off the speaker when I'm using a headphone.
The speaker is not correctly wired, only the right channel is connected. Hopefully, with a headphone it's correct for both channel. Maybe it's possible to fix this, but I intend to use it mostly with headphones so I don't really care.

I've put a nanoloop image on my GB USB 64M card, but it's not working (black screen). I've also tried the image on my "real" Nintendo gameboy color, and I can't make it work either. But the same image is working with a GB emulator on my PC, so, I don't know. It seems some people managed to make nanoloop work on this device: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw3HD5lUWUw He talks about a mGB ROM, maybe it's needed to make nanoloop work (or maybe not: http://nanoloop.com/midi/mgb.html). I don't use nanoloop so I'll probably stop here at the moment. [edit: on the video, it's not nanoloop in fact, only mGB, which can use a nanoloop cable to connect to the PC)

Otherwise this GB Boy Colour seems great. It's just a pity they used a different screen ratio than the original GB so the games will look a bit distorded. There is much noise when I'm using a real cardridge (either for lsdj or for a normal card game), but I suspect it's because my batteries are low, or because it's rechargeable batteries. On the built-in games, the sound is OK. Like you can read on several website, there are 66 games, but they duplicated three times, for an unknown reason (probably to make it look there are more than in reality). As far as I've seen, it's only old, 2 colors, DMG GB games.

On the package, it's written 2006, so if it's for the year, I guess it's no longer produced, only an old stock.

Last edited by garvalf (Dec 21, 2015 9:11 pm)

France

Oh ok you don't have a real cartridge nanoloop... so we can't know if it do that for all GB BOY COLOURS or if it's only my. My maybe have a problem because the reaction of the speaker is different... I bought a GB usb 64M card. I will put lsdj on it and say here if it works. Maybe it can just not work with nanoloop. For you it's seems to run good with lsdj.

On the nanoloop cartridge you can put GB roms, like mgb or others. On the start, if you press start, you start nanoloop, if you press A, you start the rom puted on A. If you press B, you put the rom puted on B. But for that nanoloop should start. If not you can't load other roms. You need to have the rhomb logo. Maybe this guy use also a usb card, and i don't know why he spoke about nanoloop...

Alive and well in fucksville

i wonder if the clock speed has to be exactly what a gameboy is for a nl1.63 and higher cart to work. I modded the clock on a gba sp and my nl1 (pcb cart) and it will not work. however an older nanoloop cart does work (1.1).

France

bitjacker, you mean that nanoloop 1.1 works on gb boy colour?

For the problem of speakers, for me it's audible only when the sound is loud. Put your headphones not on your head, the sound very loud, and if it's like me you will have the sound from the speakers and from de headers in same time. I got aussi the noise problem with rechargeables batteries. Maybe the batteries wasn't enough recharged. But with the sector adaptator, I don't get this noise. Or just really behind like in the dmg. When you put the sound loud you don't hear it.

France

It's seems that GB BOY COLOUR can't work with pcb nanoloop 1. A guy send me a private message saying that he bought 2 gb boy colour and pcb cartridge nanoloop 1 don't work with it too... So it can only work when it's a rom puted on a usb cartridge...

I think gb boy sux... the sound quality is horrible with my lsdj cartridge, well it can be ok but there is really a lot of noise... And nanoloop pcb don't work... the lighted screen is so good, much better than the one on the gameboy advance sp, but the other things sux... the gameboy color gamelink port is bad too, it work for sync but it goes out from the hole if I use it too long time.

Really not a good stuff for chiptune for me... gameboy advance sp is much better.