Toronto, Ontario, Canada

With the new 8xx command, HT2 is now totally viable for me to write a whole EP. I'm very, very excited to dig into the new glitch commands and write some tunes!

France

Very useful video, thanks Utz!

Italy

Aw man, now i understand the power of the 8xx effect. Pretty awesome.

Rhode Island

Spent a while playing around with HT last night and it was a blast. Prior to getting it to work, I had a couple of issues though.
I was able to test it on 2 separate calculators. On my TI-83+ using Doors I had no issue and this is currently what I am using. On my TI-83 using ION I was able to launch HT and program patterns but as soon as audio was supposed to play (either with Enter or Alpha/Mode in a pattern) HT would crash and wipe my the memory. Any ideas? If there is any info you need that would help, let me know and I'll be happy to get it to you.

France

According to the HT2 manual, ION is recommended on TI-83. Isn't the calculator memory / ROM saturated by something else? (I only have a TI-83+ so I can't tell how it works on TI83)

Nomad's Land

Damn, that sucks... because I can't reproduce the error on my TI-83. Which ION version are you running, 1.6 or 1.6U? Try the one you aren't using at the moment. If that doesn't help, let me know your OS version ([MODE] [ALPHA] [S] to check, don't press ENTER on the screen that comes up).

Rhode Island

Yes, I followed the manual's instructions when putting HT on my TI-83. ION (specifically ION1.6u) was working just fine and I was able to start up HT without issue.

edit: ION version

Last edited by 2PLAYER (Mar 1, 2016 3:21 pm)

Nomad's Land

hehe simulateous posting... ok, try 1.6 (not the U version), then.
ed: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83/asm/shells/ion.zip

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Mar 1, 2016 3:22 pm)

Rhode Island

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get you the version and try out 1.6 this evening.

Rhode Island

Version 1.10
ION 1.6 installs fine but running "A" shows a really distorted program selection page. Regardless, I can start up HT but again, any attempt to make a sound will crash HT and reset the memory.

Nomad's Land

Hmmm, that's very odd. I'm afraid it'll take a while to get to the bottom of this. At the moment I'm guessing it may be some undocumented behaviour of the hardware, because you appear to have a very late 83 model. (After OS 1.10 they changed to the 83 Parcus.)
Ok, could you check out some of these programs and tell me what happens when you try to run those? Best to revert back to Ion 1.6U for this, as 1.6 doesn't seem to work well for you.
Also, could you tell me the date code? On the back of the calc, where all the copyright and legalese is printed, there are two fairly big number codes, looking like they've been stenciled in. The date code is usually to the right, a 4-digit number prefixed with an uppercase letter.

Edit: Another test: Load and start HT, then exit it again immediately without doing anything. According to my assumptions, this should also crash the calc.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Mar 2, 2016 12:41 am)

Rhode Island

Back of the calc: 38426119 I-01990
The first 0 in the above number is slightly thinner. Not sure if it is a zero or the letter O. Also, the I- is the letter I not the number 1. At least it doesn't seem to have the top notch the 1s do. God, who thought to use O/0 and I/1??
Started HT in ION1.6u. Immediately pressed [ALPHA][ON]. No crash.
Tried Ocarina. It crashed when it was supposed to play a note.
Piano83 was able to play notes. Audio came out of both left and right. Right on a single note, left for the second note.
Calcwave, Calcmod, and Tijuke flash the screen but immediately exit.

It's honestly not a big deal for me as my wife had an 83+ and it works great there. I'll be happy to provide as much help as possible with this calc though if you really want to figure it out.

Nomad's Land

Sure I want to figure out what's going on. Though at this point I'm pretty clueless, will have to do some asking around. I'm surprised so many of these progs crash, considering the values written to the IO port don't seem to be the problem, as I originally thought. Piano83 should crash as well, if that were the case.

There's a chance that your calc is actually defective, namely that the power level control might be broken. This could explain why most of the progs crash, but Piano83 doesn't. If you have a spare CR1616 or CR1620 button cell laying around, you could try replacing that. Also clean/straighten out the AAA battery contacts if they look dodgy.

The date code means your calc was build in January '99 btw wink The I just means that it was manufactured in Taiwan.

Rhode Island

Well, you have me interested as well so I don't mind helping. I'll scoop up a new button cell and see if that has any effect. Contacts look clean but I'll open it up and see if there is any corrosion from batteries that might have been left in.

Another thing about this 83, in your instructions it has the user switching to receive when transmitting files. On mine, this causes an Xmit error. I simply send files by hitting send on Tilp with no action taken on the 83.

Nomad's Land

Thanks a lot for your help mate, really appreciate it! And yeah, forgot to correct the manual there, thanks for reminding me wink

Rhode Island

No problem. Didn't know if the manual was incorrect or if my IO port and calc were just messed up.