Glasgow, Scotland.

Got mine today and everything installed! One thing I can't figure out is how to turn off the calculator whilst HT is running...

Italy
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

Got mine today and everything installed! One thing I can't figure out is how to turn off the calculator whilst HT is running...

"
You have to stop the music by clicking the "play" button and then click "alpha"> "ON". Then click "mode" ( or "2nd"> "Mode") and finally turn of the calc by clicking "2nd"> "ON" smile

Glasgow, Scotland.
Overcesium wrote:
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

"
You have to stop the music by clicking the "play" button and then click "alpha"> "ON". Then click "mode" ( or "2nd"> "Mode") and finally turn of the calc by clicking "2nd"> "ON" smile

Perfect, thanks!

Glasgow, Scotland.

I went back and re-read this whole thread today, and spotted that nonfinite was having some troubles installing TiLP etc on OSX El Capitan:

nonfinite wrote:

I purchased a few TI-82s and would like to get HT2 on them. I attempted to get TiLP installed on my Mac (El Capitan) and had a hell of a time.  Installing packages so I can install packages so I can install other packages. Threw in the towel tonight after about an hour of installing packages in terminal. Is there a more straightforward way to do this?

Libticables2 wants glib, glib wants libffi. This is where I surrendered.

I had the same issues, even making use of Brew. The dependencies needed other dependencies which was a nightmare to work out. In the end, I discovered that I could install much easier by using MacPorts, which did 95% of the work for me. Far simpler. Here's a link to the TiLP Port:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/13227

and a guide to installing MacPorts:

https://guide.macports.org/

You basically need to install XCode, install MacPorts, and then install the 'Port' above using MacPorts.

Sorry if this is obvious... I just didn't see it mentioned anywhere and worth sharing!

Last edited by unexpectedbowtie (Mar 4, 2016 1:05 am)

Nomad's Land

Thanks mate, that is super helpful! I know zilch about Mac, yet quite a few people were having trouble installing TiLP on OS X. Glad you've found a reasonably straightforward solution that I can add to the manual.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Mar 4, 2016 1:18 pm)

Rhode Island

I wasn't able to find a 1616 or 1620 in store so I swapped one from my 83+ (which works fine). The 83 exhibited the same behavior as before. Contacts were clean along with the rest of the battery compartment. Does any test program exist that would be able to determine if there are issues with the hardware?

Glasgow, Scotland.
irrlichtproject wrote:

Thanks mate, that is super helpful! I know zilch about Mac, yet quite a few people were having trouble installing TiLP on OS X. Glad you've found a reasonably straightforward solution that I can add to the manual.

Awesome! Glad it's helpful smile

I'm learning the ropes just now, going over the manual when I hit something I can't do. Loving it so far. Deceptively powerful!

One thing I can't figure out is if there's a playback indicator (like a moving cursor or something) to see which row is currently playing on the sequencer screen. Does that exist and I'm just missing it? It's really helpful for composing.

Rhode Island

There is no indicator for current position. I believe it was because it would cause screen refreshes that would be an unesseary strain on the cpu.
You can always use [(-)] to start the song on the current line.

Glasgow, Scotland.
2PLAYER wrote:

There is no indicator for current position. I believe it was because it would cause screen refreshes that would be an unesseary strain on the cpu.

Thought it might be a memory issue. Cheers!

Nomad's Land

Yes, as 2PLAYER said, updating the screen with even a simple cursor would be too slow, and consequently cause a lot of noise between notes (and that's considering row transitions already can be quite noisy/clicky). It's not even the CPU that's such a big problem, but the LCD controller is slow af. I definately agree that it would be a useful feature though, and I'll keep thinking about possible solutions for the impossible wink

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Mar 6, 2016 6:35 pm)

Glasgow, Scotland.
irrlichtproject wrote:

I'll keep thinking about possible solutions for the impossible wink

that's all I ask tongue

Glasgow, Scotland.

Fannied about tonight with HT and recorded a quick track with some guitars/vocals over the top. Deliberately a bit glitchy/detuned.

https://soundcloud.com/unexpectedbowtie/delete-repeat

Thanks for all the help/work that's gone into this!

Last edited by unexpectedbowtie (Mar 7, 2016 1:57 am)

Glasgow, Scotland.

Run into a bit of a problem where every so often the calculator freezes up and won't respond to any command. Most of the time I've been able to shake it out of its slumber by waiting a bit and pressing a seemingly random set of keys... but this time it's totally stuck. I don't want to remove the batteries for a hard reset as that means losing the stored songs/having to re-flash HT onto the device.

Anybody ran into this before, or have a solution?

Nomad's Land

Uh oh, that's bad. I'm afraid it will require quite a bit of detective work to get to the bottom of this.

In order to fix this, I need to know how to reproduce the error. So, could you tell me a bit more about those situations where HT freezes up? Is there any particular sequence of actions that will cause this? What is the configuration when it happens - does is happen during playback, when the player is stopped, or both? Do you have RowPlay enabled? Any relation to AlphaMode usage maybe? Does it happen while entering fx commands? In particular, the Fxx command might be problematic in conjunction with RowPlay or regular playback. If you enter an F command and the player parses it before you enter the parameter, HT will basically interpret it as F00, meaning you'll have to wait a long time before the note is finished. Iirc I put in some code that will prevent keypresses from being detected twice during the same note/row, so that in conjunction with F00 will cause a long wait.

Anyway, to answer your question - I'm afraid once HT locks up permanently, a system reset is the only option.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Mar 18, 2016 8:32 am)

Glasgow, Scotland.
irrlichtproject wrote:

So, could you tell me a bit more about those situations where HT freezes up?

I can't remember exactly what happened the past few times before it froze up, but I'll re-flash and keep an eye out for when it happens again and write down what I was doing so I can report back. Might take a wee bit, but thank you smile

Oh, p.s. I I posted up a video yesterday of HoustonTracker drums going through a fancy effects pedal if you are interested (it's later on in the video on this page: http://noisepedals.com/2016/03/17/mwfx- … l-review/)

Nomad's Land

Hehe kewl wink Always nice to see HT being shown off in different contexts.

Regarding the freezes, I'm not actively working on HT atm, so take your time. I'm sure with your help we'll get to the bottom of this eventually wink