San Luis Obispo, CA
mechlo wrote:

I also had the notion of putting on a all Oregon chiptune show with the help of dangerouskids.net (local video game podcast).  Whos interested?

In what sort of capacity is Dangerouskids.net able to contribute?

lolusa
PlainFlavored wrote:
Thretris wrote:

We need to throw an even like Chiptune-apalooza. Give the new yorkers a run for their money wink there seems to be enough NW'ern chipmusicians around

(or since its portland, I will call you Chipsters. Then I guess in eugene, we can be Smelly Chippies)

I think for the time being, we could have a lot easier of a time if we just associate ourselves with the electronic music community at large and attempt to integrate ourselves into their already established (and EXPLODING) scene. A good group of guys to talk to about this would be Reactionary, they seem to have a knack for pulling off pretty rad shows, and they seem to do it with ease on a regular basis.

I would love to play with some of the rad breakcore people out here, especially Foxdye and Bllix. We don't necessarily have to segregate ourselves.

Reactionary FTMFW.
No other group of musicians/promoters have ever taken care of me and my music so well.
There is always some kind of crowd, great responses, and great promotion everytime Reactionary is involved. I can talk to my buddy from there and see what can be done.
that is, if you're fine with a non-oregonian lending a hand wink

ovenrake wrote:
PlainFlavored wrote:

I think for the time being, we could have a lot easier of a time if we just associate ourselves with the electronic music community at large and attempt to integrate ourselves into their already established (and EXPLODING) scene. A good group of guys to talk to about this would be Reactionary, they seem to have a knack for pulling off pretty rad shows, and they seem to do it with ease on a regular basis.

I would love to play with some of the rad breakcore people out here, especially Foxdye and Bllix. We don't necessarily have to segregate ourselves.

Reactionary FTMFW.
No other group of musicians/promoters have ever taken care of me and my music so well.
There is always some kind of crowd, great responses, and great promotion everytime Reactionary is involved. I can talk to my buddy from there and see what can be done.
that is, if you're fine with a non-oregonian lending a hand wink

As the King of Portland, I grant you passage into our hallowed lands.

PDX, PDX

Well its good that the small but dedicated group have voiced up, we need to get something organized.  Jeff I think is willing to take care of all of the promotion and I can set up the show.  This is something I've wanted to do since '08 so I am pumped to hear all of the interest.

Getting Reactionary on board would be great.  So as far as artists are concerned I got interest from Thretris, Capomposer, Plain Flavored, Ovenrake, and myself.  I would be nice to get 486kid, Spamtron, and Operation Mission in on this as well.  Kevin, lets try to plan something with your visit here.  Any venues you guys have played that you like?  I dig the hell outta Backspace and PF mentioned Berbati's, I will see if I can get some ins there.  I will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by mechlo (May 24, 2010 5:15 pm)

Hey everybody, I'm Switch from Dangerous Kids. I wanted to answer a couple of your questions and clarify a few things about what I'm thinking in terms of a Portland-based (or NW based) chiptune show. My project (which has started out as a podcast) is an ongoing editorial on gaming and geek culture. It's probably obvious to all of you guys, but I think that there's quite a crossover market between the gaming scene and the chiptune music scene, and as chiptune music gets bigger, so does the crossover between the two.

That being said, here's a little about who I am and what I do:

My podcast is a passion project that stemmed from my days as a gaming journalist in college. Professionally, I'm a DJ, meaning I play as many as 5 nights a week in Portland and I make the absolute majority of my living at it. I have a residency at a night club two nights a week, and have connections with venues and clubs all over town.

Now, in terms of a Portland chiptune show, I want to collaborate with Matt (mechlo) on finding a venue and planning the show, but I'm going to need help with promoting and, of course, TALENT! Once the show is on, I'm hoping to host and MC the event as an on-stage personality in between acts and help keep things running off-stage. What I hope to gain out of this is some local attention for myself and my show, as well as another chance to showcase local chip musicians and give them an opportunity to sell some merch and whatnot (though we ask that you please keep the "whatnot" on a separate table/tables).

Ovenrake: Getting the guys at Reactionary involved in the marketing and promoting would be an amazing weight off my shoulders. Please don't take no for an answer.

Thanks a lot for your interest in doing a PDX show, everybody. Are there any more questions?

0R360N

very nice, very nice. Like I said, count me in, would love an excuse to head up to portland more

PDX, PDX

We gotta get some visual artists as well.  Maybe 2 or 3 of them.

IL, US

well, if any of you can get me a better job than i have out here.... wink

PDX, PDX

Dude, the only city with a shittier unemplyment rate in the country is Detroit.  So don't come here for the job prospects.

lolusa
mechlo wrote:

Dude, the only city with a shittier unemplyment rate in the country is Detroit.  So don't come here for the job prospects.

took the words out my mouth.

especially when a really sought after job is selling bacon maplebars x)

0R360N
ovenrake wrote:
mechlo wrote:

took the words out my mouth.

especially when a really sought after job is selling bacon maplebars x)

HAHAHAHA, they just opened a VooDoo Donuts here ALL the "cool kids" are DYING for a job there. muhaha

lolusa

I never feel cool enough ordering doughnuts there. I feel like I'm supposed to start asking what the vegan options are.
Back on topic:
I'm gonna get to work on dis shit

0R360N

(jumping the gun) I can snazzy fliers when the time comes.

PDX, PDX

I will be PM'ing/emailing all y'all to try to get info about possible dates and participation soon.

Eugene, OR

This is gunna be awesome!  I can't wait for some fun shit to start happening around this place. smile

Portland, OR

Hey guys, just a final reminder to hit up your friends in town one last time for the Nullsleep/USK/Nordloef/Wet Mango show this Friday if you haven't done so already:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= … wall_posts

Looking forward to seeing you all there. I owe a few of you drinks for all you've done to help promote.
(-asif)