Lake Titicaca
unexpectedbowtie wrote:
Dolby-Z wrote:

I've only messed around with LSDJ for a little bit on an emulator, but I know the synth instrument has a filter. Is there a way to asign an envelope to it? The main sound I'm looking for is short bass tones with quick filter evelopes.

I might be misunderstanding, so forgive me, but you can assign an envelope to any of the instruments in LSDJ.

Page 42 of the manual explains it. It's the 'E' command:

http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest … _3_7_4.pdf

I believe the E command envelope is only for volume, not filter cutoff or resonance.

Atlanta, GA
pselodux wrote:
Dolby-Z wrote:

Ok so I messed around with the "S" channel in Nanoloop 2 for GBA, and got a sound I like. The pulse wave in Nanoloop 2 has A really unique sounding filter, and you can modulate the filter cutoff in channel "S" leading to a really cool bass sound. No resonance tho, which is kind of a bummer, but the filter does sound really cool regardless.

Yeah, I was going to post in here about nanoloop 2. The filters and the way it overdrives when too many loud sounds are playing at once sounds almost analog to my ears.

Yeah. Shit gets fuckin' SICK and FAST

Atlanta, GA

frickin' double post

Last edited by NoyzBotChip (Apr 20, 2016 8:47 pm)

Melbourne
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

also, sunvox 'analogue synth' module! sunvox 'filter pro module'!

I really feel like people get stuck on gameboy for too long...there are other great trackers out there. I dont understand why everyone is sleeping on sunvox...I guess it just looks intimidating, but actually if you can use LSDJ then learning sunvox will be easy (rtfm).

Sunvox came along too late in my tracker adventures tbh. I was already deep into making music with Buzz, so Sunvox just seemed a bit limited in comparison, in terms of the effects/generators available. It's a really great tracker though, nice and clean, and the multi-platform support is incredible.

I really think that handheld consoles are the worst interfaces for tracker music. Nothing beats the speed of having a keyboard with a numpad!

NC in the US of America
pselodux wrote:

I really think that handheld consoles are the worst interfaces for tracker music. Nothing beats the speed of having a keyboard with a numpad!

No pc keyboard will ever replace the satisfying feeling of thoughtfully  tracking with a dpad and 4 buttons.

Melbourne

Yeah, or taking 2 hours to compose what I could make in about 15 minutes using a keyboard tongue

Adelaide, Australia

Yeah, I tried making some tracks with Sunvox on a 10" tablet and gave up after several attempts. Also tried Nitrotracker on DS many years ago. As you say, it's pretty hard to do away with the keyboard for any serious tracking.

As for analogue sound from a Gameboy, you're going to be pretty limited without a proper filter envelope I think.

Last edited by freezedream (Apr 21, 2016 12:51 am)

Czech Republic

Buy some vintage analog synthesizer and 4 track cassette recorder and learn to play keyboard...

Lake Titicaca

@pselodux: I totally understand where your coming from. A computer keyboard, for the most part, is quicker than both gamepad and touchscreen input methods.

The thing is, if you live in a tiny one bedroom apartment where the only thing that separates you from your neighbours is a false wall made from one sheet of medium density fibreboard then a computer keyboard is not an option. All that rattling of the arrow keys while using a tracker will make angry. In that situation a touchscreen or gamepad tracker is a godsend.

Also, I would argue that some functions are actually quicker in sunvox touchscreen...for example, navigation by swiping around is a lot faster than hammering the arrow keys to get around, or when you open the toolbar, copying and pasting can be marginally faster than 'ctrl c - ctrl - v' method.
But yeah, keyboard is generally the quickest way, plus it is cool for jamming on as if it were a midi keyboard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yeah, I tried making some tracks with Sunvox on a 10" tablet and gave up after several attempts. Also tried Nitrotracker on DS many years ago. "

Please dont compare Sunvox (a serious modular synth/sampler, with an excellent tracker style sequencer) with nitrotracker (an unfinished fasttracker 2 clone which does not even have any of the basic effects commands included).

São Paulo, Brazil
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

Please dont compare Sunvox with nitrotracker.

I don't think he was.

Lake Titicaca

Oh yeah. O.K, in that case I take that back.

Mad respect for your track "neurosciencia"!

Melbourne
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

@pselodux: I totally understand where your coming from. A computer keyboard, for the most part, is quicker than both gamepad and touchscreen input methods.

The thing is, if you live in a tiny one bedroom apartment where the only thing that separates you from your neighbours is a false wall made from one sheet of medium density fibreboard then a computer keyboard is not an option. All that rattling of the arrow keys while using a tracker will make angry. In that situation a touchscreen or gamepad tracker is a godsend.

Also, I would argue that some functions are actually quicker in sunvox touchscreen...for example, navigation by swiping around is a lot faster than hammering the arrow keys to get around, or when you open the toolbar, copying and pasting can be marginally faster than 'ctrl c - ctrl - v' method.
But yeah, keyboard is generally the quickest way, plus it is cool for jamming on as if it were a midi keyboard.

Fair enough, I personally find note input (not to mention commands) rather uninspiring/frustrating on a dpad or even touchscreen.. to each their own i guess big_smile

NC in the US of America
pselodux wrote:

to each their own i guess big_smile

+11111!1 big_smile

East Coast USA
ryba wrote:

Buy some vintage analog synthesizer and 4 track cassette recorder and learn to play keyboard...

I already have a microbrute and that has me covered on real analog sounds, but this post was basically looking for a GB synth with a wavetable-based, resonant filter because those sound fuckin sick. But it sounds like GB-303 is the only one and it doesn't exist.

East Coast USA
ryba wrote:

I already have a microbrute and that has me covered on real analog sounds, but this post was basically looking for a GB synth with a wavetable-based, resonant filter because those sound fuckin sick. But it sounds like GB-303 is the only one and it doesn't exist.

Indiana
ryba wrote:

+1 it really feels like you're barking up the wrong tree here

you can draw a filter sweep in LSDJ p easy on the wave channel if you wanted?