IL, US

its never too late to change the words we use to describe things, especially something like music or art.. most of my favorite darker chip stuff is by artists who started years before anyone used the term chipthrash, so lumping them into that doesn't make sense... baseck, stagediver, 8cylinder, sil req, etc
its also ignoring the very real diversity of styles among people making chip music thats of the more evil-sounding variety by using one term for all of it

Utah

Couldn't we just keep it simple and call it Dark Chip?

Madriz, Supain
The Laohu wrote:

85% of chipthrash is far from dark

100% of exgoths agree

IL, US
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:
The Laohu wrote:

100% of exgoths agree

which is part of my point, most of what i've heard that was called chipthrash sounded like it took more inspiration from Jimmy Eat World than from Black Sabbath... lumping all that music together really doesn't make much sense

Madriz, Supain
e.s.c. wrote:
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

100% of exgoths agree

which is part of my point, most of what i've heard that was called chipthrash sounded like it took more inspiration from Jimmy Eat World than from Black Sabbath... lumping all that music together really doesn't make much sense

tbh i only listen to my little circle of artists i admire and most of them id call it " noise" if it was 1999.

Bristol, UK
The Laohu wrote:

^This

The chiptunes=win blog has been doing a regular feature for a while highlighting "dark chip" (not that it's trying to start some kind of subgenre) and it makes sense, the chipthrash thing seems to be pretty specific to a smaller number of artists whereas dark chip seems a more clear, useful term. A lot of people that don't follow chiptune don't even know that there are "dark"/non-happy sounding chip artists out there.

Abandoned on Fire

While you ponder all these things in your heart listen to this: https://soundcloud.com/timeheater/krew-live-set-2012

NC in the US of America
e.s.c. wrote:

add to that some stuff with 4-to-the-floor beats and nothing that sounds like it had any rock/metal influence and is mostly noisy abrasive unce.., and I'm a confused puppy

Milwaukee, WI

dark chip is a ridiculously stupid name

Utah
TSC wrote:

As are most genre names or classifications. It is just simple and concise. Seems to make sense with how most people just refer to this stuff as darker chip anyways. Would you prefer Brooding Chip? Music for people who are angry with the world? NEM (Nihilistic Electronic Music)?

Liverpool, UK

"Maleficent Eletronic Musique Extravagance"  is clearly the name to go for.

IL, US

probably best to just acknowledge things by separate names... there's chippunk, chipmetal, chipindustrial, chipnoise, amigacore, etc...

Tennessee
TSC wrote:

I find sub genre's mostly stupid, I call my "style" darkchip/brokecore as kind of a gag to that

Chicago
calmdownkidder wrote:

"Maleficent Eletronic Musique Extravagance"  is clearly the name to go for.

I second the motion on the floor.
I move for a vote.
All in favor, yea or nea.

Madriz, Supain

I want to call it "bleepity blopitty gothy rave "

Seattle, WA US

u guys should just call it "gnar" because it's gnar