Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Delek wrote:

I know noone cares much about DefleMask here, but anyway, the new version with ARCADE configuration (YAMAHA YM2151 + SEGA PCM soundchips) was just released.

I don't often use DefleMask myself but I always recommend it as an option to people who are looking for chiptune trackers. It's fantastically full-featured and powerful. The new YM2151 + SEGA PCM mode sounds like another great feature.

NUMBSKULL

I'm an idiot, can you sum up what exactly Deflemask is and what it's capable of? It can export various roms for playback on hardware right?

South Korea
catskull wrote:

I'm an idiot, can you sum up what exactly Deflemask is and what it's capable of? It can export various roms for playback on hardware right?

Deflemask allows you to track for several different platforms. Sega Master System, MegaDrive, NES, GameBoy, Turbo Grafx 16, both C64 chips, and now arcade. You can also, to various degrees of success, change the engine on the fly and easily adapt your GB track to play on a SEGA console, crazy right? And yes, it can export roms for most of those platforms. It's probably the quickest way to go from concept to music playable on the hardware. Obviously need flashcart or whatever.

Also, ARCADE...fuck!
Any chance of Neo Geo or Neo Geo Pocket engine?

Abandoned on Fire

I really need to give this another shot.  Creating ROMs is the killer feature for me but having all the systems right together is fantastic.

@Delek - I see that midi input is supported and I'm guessing that it's notes only?  Any chance we could get some "out of range" notes assigned to the functions like channel mute, play, stop, and loop point settings?

@Delek: Would you like to port Deflemask to the N3DS?  If you are interested in this,  I'll donate a N3DSXL right away! smile

Last edited by Tao (Feb 25, 2016 9:51 am)

Just want to thank Delek for such an amazing piece of software. This looks amazing in theory but boy do I need those tutorial vids smile The only system I see missing here is Atari 2600 (TIA chip.) I did a couple of releases in 2010 using Synthcart and alot of hand sequencing in Audacity, man had software like this capable of TIA sound been available back then....geez how different (not to mention easier) things would've been. Really hope you will consider it.

In the meantime, I have been interested in Famitracker but Deflemask seems to be a better tracker to learn since it is capable of so many other chips as well. So cool smile

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Thanks. Check youtube, there are some more tutorials.
Regarding to the system requests, as I said in the Defle forums, the next system to be added will be decided by a poll, democratically. Like the Arcade configuration was selected last time.

Btw, I'm working really really hard to launch the v0.12 soon, a pre-release is available in the forums maybe you want to try it:
http://www.deflemask.com/forum/general/ … release-*/

France

In the meantime, I have been interested in Famitracker but Deflemask seems to be a better tracker to learn since it is capable of so many other chips as well.

Both are very good trackers, and they also use a similar paradigm for managing patterns (1 independent pattern per channel). I personally get different ideas and moods when I use either one or the other, so I like both.

My pros and cons for Famitracker and Deflemask (I'll try to present it in a positive way for Deflemask as it is a Deflemask thread):

Famitracker

Pros:
- intuitive to use
- standard windows software appearance
- supports several NES extensions
- open source (free software)
- you can import and export to midi, to use in other trackers or software (but it's not built-in though. Also midi import is deprecated)
- can export to wav / nsf

Cons:
- standard windows software appearance
- not themable
- works rather ok with Wine (on Linux, mac os x too probably), but it's not perfect (I get some visual glitches when editing instruments)

Deflemask
Cons:
- Not open source (but good active support from the developper)
- some non standard behaviors in functionalities because of its specific custom interface but it gets better and better after newest releases (for example in previous releases I couldn't use the back / end key for going to the end of a filename, and when I typed enter to validate the name when saving a file it started the song... but it's fixed now)
- doesn't export / import from other tracker formats (like xm/mod)

Pros:
- native to multi-os (linux, mac, windows)
- midi support
- many format support (sid, sega, nec pc engine, arcade, nes, gb)
- can export to vgm / wav / native ROM (like megadrive/genesis)
- intuitive to use
- free as in free beer
- active support from the developper
- themeable
- latest releases has a much better way to interact with it (new menu etc)

probably other things but it's what I remember at the moment...

I think it's also time I send some donation to both Famitracker and Deflemask!

Last edited by garvalf (May 7, 2016 11:37 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

DefleMask v0.12.0 released guys! The biggest update ever for this tracker.

The best news are: New GUI, special CH3 for Genesis (full support, one channel per operator!), on-screen-piano, emulators updated, etc, etc, etc.

Full changelog:
UI re-designed.
Pattern matrix and instrument list are both visible at the same time.
Added native file load/save dialogs for all operating systems.
Added a new system that enables the Special Mode of the CH3 in the YM2612 (the operators have independent frequencies)
Contextual menus (File, Edit, About) instead of FastTracker based navigation (Disk .Op, Options, etc)
Added a piano for note inputs and visualization.
Added a BPM display.
Added keyboard shortcuts for Open: Ctrl+O, New: Ctrl+N, Play: F5, Play from current position: Shift+Return/F7 and Play pattern: Alt+Return/F6.
Max patterns row count increased to 256.
Updated the C64 rom exporter, it is fast and roms are smaller.
Updated the reSID core for better Commodore 64 sound emulation.
Now .vgm files will be automatically optimized by passing through vgm_cmp, the official .vgm compression engine.
Now sliders/scroll wheel will react if you are over his sub-window space.
Now you can preview the previous and next pattern.
Now the loaded .wav filename is displayed on the samples editor window.
Now ctrl+left click on a pattern index in the matrix will copy that pattern into a unused one.
Now PSG instruments in Genesis play if you jam the keyboard while playing a song.
Now .vgm/roms and the tracker will behave the same when looping tracks (the tracker was actually resetting too much stuff when a loop start)
Now you have access to all systems folder when loading a module, this will let you load->switch systems a lot faster.
Now both 8bits and 16bits wavs are supported as samples.
Now you can create straight lines in macros graphs by holding down right mouse button.
Now the arpeggio effect on FM chips will not reset the envelope on every note.
Now if you scroll until the end/start of the current pattern you will be automatically moved to the next/previous one.
Changed the behavior of the E5xx - Fine Tune effect: Now its range is a whole note rather than 1/4. E500 means note - 1 semitone, E5FF means note + 1 semitone.
Game Boy emulator core updated to NezPlug++
Nintendo NES emulator core updated to NSFPlay 2.3
SN76489 emulator core updated, volumes and noise output are more accurate now.
YM2612+PSG volume re-balanced to a more accurate relation.
Now the YM2612 updates at HW rate (53267hz) this makes the SSG-EG more accurate among other things.
Now you can stop volume sliding effects by entering 0A 00 or setting a new volume value in the volume column.
Load/File menu now lists 20 files instead of 10 (more files visible in the list).
Ctrl+F1/F2/F3/F4 now work without recording mode enabled.
Ctrl+F1/F2 now works on instrument and volume column to rapidly change many of values at the same time.
Added mute buttons to the FM operators.
Added Zap option under the edit menu (to clear song, pattern or instruments)
Added Poly input under options menu (Ctrl+P shortcut) to switch between chords and mono MIDI input (also works while jamming when the song is playing)
Added bold font type selector under options menu.
Added END/HOME function keys while editing texts.
Added hybrid .hes roms headers so Ootake and other emulators don't complain.
Added more demo songs to all systems.
Now the Arpeggio Tick is controlled by a new effect 0Exx. It is no more a global per module value.
Added a gradient color between max volume values and zero (Volume and Volume_min in colors.ini file)
Added 3 more values to Skins colors.ini file: Windows_Background, Volume_min and Record_Background.
Added a new effect: EExx (Sync Signal) to be used in .vgm exports (it writes a data block of type FF size 1 with data xx and flashes the tracker background when found)
Fixed the EDxx effect, now it delays correctly any other effect on the same row.
Fixed an AMP slider bug in the samples editor window that was causing distortion on negative sample values.
Fixed playback rate of Commodore 64 reSID engine.
Fixed a clipboard bug that was affecting the pattern matrix.
Fixed some header issues with .gb exports, they now load correctly on the HW and all emulators.
Fixed a little detune in YM2612 frecuency table calculation. (thanks Raijin for the report)
Fixed Sample Delta set while using a delay command in the same row in SEGA PCM.
Fixed some Note Slide effect bugs.
Fixed a bug with the key-repeat feature while changing between fullscreen and windowed mode.
Fixed a bug while copying/pasting using channel switching with Ctrl+Right/Left.
Manual Updated.

Get it now!: deflemask.com

Abandoned on Fire

Great Scott! Fantastic update!!

Milwaukee, WI

Amazing!

Milwaukee, WI

Last edited by Theta_Frost (Jun 4, 2016 4:38 am)

France

That's a very cool new! DefleMask is getting better and better!
Any chance of a raspberry pi/arm build? It would be funny to put it on the PocketChip http://www.getchip.com/pages/pocketchip

Adelaide, Australia

Thanks for all your hard work, Delek and the updated UI looks great! ^_^

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Thanks for the kind words guys! This new version rocks! big_smile

France

Yes, it really rocks!

Thank you for having taken into account feedback people have made, to improve DefleMask, and also for making polls and such to get people's opinion.

Also now with the default look (skin), it's very pleasant to the eyes as well!

Last edited by garvalf (Jun 15, 2016 9:25 am)