West Yorks, UK

Want badly. Shame the initial release of pocket chip won't allow you to pull out the chip and immediately use it standalone, but I can live with that.

tried out some fx in pico-8 while waiting for it to arrive.

Wrote this little drum machine but it doesn't stay in sync for long.

So,  I've had my PocketC.H.I.P  for a few days now and I am loving Pico-8!  The ability to edit the sprites,  sounds,  sfx,  music,  and code in the games is a lot of fun.

What makes Pico-8 especially cool to me is the wide variety of the different "cartridges" (programs/games) available for it (all created by it's community).  There are,  of course,  games of all sorts available,  but there are also cartridges that are just glitch art,  experimental sounds,  or just a chiptune song or two.   Some of the games are very experimental,  as well... today I found a game where you are a skydiving cow slam dunking basketballs big_smile

I have always wanted to create my own videogame(s),  but I honestly never thought I would ever be able to... Pico-8 changes that.  There is an ongoing fanzine that is really well done,  which contains nice tutorials on how to make games using Pico-8.  The zines are available as PDF's for "name your price",  and/or you can get physical copies for about £6 each.  I got both.

https://sectordub.itch.io/pico-8-fanzine-1

Edit: So,  it's not a cow,  but rather a donkey!  (You can always use the sprite editor to make it whatever you want though!)

"Dunkey 2 microgame"  big_smile

Play Pico-8 Cartridges using your computer (no sound?) here:

http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?cat=7&sub=2

Last edited by RJL (Jun 18, 2016 2:23 am)

Couple more screen effects  Having a direct memory map (like old days hardware) is very useful.

Nice work,  4mat!  Your drum machine looks promising,  too!

West Yorks, UK

just bought pico 8 / voxatron. pico 8 is incredible for lofi live visuals, cannot wait for chip to arrive (shipping to uk is more than the fuckin computer- urrgh)

however, my coding skills are in processing / java. whats the best place to learn Lua / Pico 8's wierd implementation of it? I sort of understand part of the readme about coding, but the stuff such as tables and arrays in Lua have me scratching my head.

United Kingdom

i really want to get one of these. I have been experimenting with MIDI sequencing in Python in Linux, so I am sure it will work fine on this device. I have also been getting into other trackers in Linux. seems like a good handheld choice.

has anyone tried this on a raspberry PI? seems like it would be similar

found this, but i only really want MIDI out

http://www.instructables.com/id/PiMiDi- … earned-to/

Finished my little pico-8 drum machine, play here.  Doing syncing by writing directly into the sound fx maps while the music player is running. I've only got two tempos here smile though with a bit of work I think you could make offsets into a series of soundfx to have more granularity.

West Yorks, UK
automatonsubsys wrote:

i really want to get one of these. I have been experimenting with MIDI sequencing in Python in Linux, so I am sure it will work fine on this device. I have also been getting into other trackers in Linux. seems like a good handheld choice.

Check the pico-forums for a bug with splore and rpi usb keyboards, they work fine in code editor but there is a slight problem with alt /ctrl / etc key combos that doesnt appear to be fixed. This should only be a problem for installing the included demos however and not in coding your programs.

Anyone got a good "coding Lua for pico-8" or else just coding games in Lua resource, other than the pico 8 fanzines which I shall be buying as soon as payday hits? Or even a guide to old demoscene effects for people with reasonable java / game maker / processing skillz (but no Lua as of yet) Im aiming to use pico-8 for procedural / generative visuals but understanding the code is proving difficult what with Lua's crazy tables / metatables instead of traditional arrays and stuff. On first (a few days) glance it reminds me sort of an advanced basic. Anyone chip in (excuse the pun) with some info?

Last edited by Domu (Jun 27, 2016 5:15 pm)

Solar System

Very cute handheld. Reminds me my Pandora... Anyways it got cool price and with nice tracker it will be cool!

Sweden
automatonsubsys wrote:

I have worked with MIDI in/out on the Raspberry Pi using a C++ lib called RtMidi (I think its available for Python too).

No need to follow that instructables page unless you really want to, since most USB MIDI devices works directly when plugging them in to the RPi (MIDI interfaces, keyboards etc).

Not sure if it works like this on the C.H.I.P, but I cant see why it shouldnt.

My project if you're interested:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/17404 … pberry-pi/

San Antonio Texas

Waiting for mine to arrive smile. Definitely have some projects in mind for the tracker aspect especially.

West Yorks, UK

Can we all petition for further development on the trackers effects? I want definable Amp / pitch  / arp effects! Check out the hidden effects highlighted by the"music corrupter" cart too. And fucking awesome work 4mat, please continue with both audio software and demo gfx in pico8 plz

Last edited by Domu (Jun 28, 2016 8:05 pm)

Domu wrote:

Can we all petition for further development on the trackers effects?

is the tracker open source?

West Yorks, UK

Nope. I think?! Pretty much no. But pico is in alpha so hopefully lexaloffle is open to extending the self imposed limitations of at least the tracker.