What is the best way of buying a gameboy for modding? I've got a few from eBay and it's been a mixed bag, sometimes they are good other times they have been an attempted failed backlit mod.  Does anyone look for certain details? Are the "restored" any better? Or are there other websites? Just looking for quality Dmg to mod

thank you

Alive and well in fucksville

Go to a location like a pawn shop where you can test it. Some game stores might have a return policy.

I used to stalk www.shopgoodwill.com,  which is an auction site..... you can find some good deals once in a while,  but you always run the risk of getting a dud because a lot of the time they don't test them properly.... Game Boys are easy to fix though smile

USA

I've bought a few DMGs that were sold as "broken" or "no picture".

They were not actually broken.

The person/business selling them was just foolish enough to not realize they needed to adjust the contrast.

This makes me wonder how many DMGs needlessly ended up in the trash because someone was too stupid to figure out how to adjust the contrast or clean off some slight corrosion from the battery contacts.

I've also scored a few DMGs from foolish people at yard sales who weren't actually selling any DMGs.

To do this all you have to do is bring a DMG along with a cartridge containing LSDJ with you while yard sailing.

Then tell the person running the yard sale "I'm looking for these, do you have any?" Point at the DMG you brought.

It may help to say "I'm a musician and I make music with these" then play them a song with LSDJ. Leave your contact info if they say their kid(s) might have one or they think they might have one in a box somewhere.

Absolutely do not speak to any children/teens while doing this, only old people. You might accidentally inspire the young person to keep their DMG(s).

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jul 23, 2016 10:31 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11881 … revisited/

Get a time machine and go back 5 years. That was the best time to buy gameboy said for 5 bucks a piece.

Other than that, I can't really help you.

IL, US
Timbob wrote:

Get a time machine and go back 5 years. That was the best time to buy gameboy said for 5 bucks a piece.

Other than that, I can't really help you.

at that point, may as well go back 10 years to when you could even get play it loud dmgs for $5 each (and usually with accessories thrown in)

Spain

Aw yeah, the good old pre-anniversary or Pokecraze days; I could buy a Pocket with 10 games for like 15 pounds plus shipping from eBay UK. Now? Good luck finding a agme like Pokemon Yellow for under 50 GBP...