yogi wrote:

Also the 20160918 branch runs well on Pi, even subbed FA for MIDI tick. Spit out lots of Start messages HAHA. This was Pi to PC/MidiOx end-to-end test smile Another minor OT detail, Schism  does run with QjackCtl, just can't run the Jack server (which makes sense).

As to Note on/off, no don't see any traffic. But to me, thought it would be something like a 'instrument' set to a Channel to be used on a track. With the entry '9c n v'; this looks to me like hardcoded 9=high nibble of status, Note message, and  c=variable for low nibble, the Channel. With n and v variables to complete the message. So I thought either a placeholder for function or some way to send notes from a track.

Just did some simple tests, changing the Note On to 91 01 01, to see if it would send these absolute values but no. Then changed the 'Embed MIDI data' to On but no change. Much of the Midi Screen I don't understand, kind of 'poking at it with a stick to see if it does something' smile

It would be a wet dream if this works smile Being able to track an external synth along with samples would be the Holy Grail smile
Yogi

try turning tracker-like-midi OFF in your config, instrument mode ON, and creating an instrument with a midi channel/program set in pitch settings tab on the instrument page

http://i.imgur.com/de8zvM3.png

smile

yogi wrote:

So yet another test.

I found the Zxx midi macro command, and this relates to the 'MIDI Output Configuration screen' Macro Setup. So I put Z83 (F0F00118) on a track and it sends a SysEx message-
  SYSX: 240 1 24 247 =  F0 01 18 F7
The 01 and 18 from the macro is framed by the SysEx Start F0 and End F7. Not sure of the rules here. So changed Z83 to F0F00118101010 and now sends-
  SYSX: 240 1 24 16 16 16 247 = F0 01 18 10 10 10 F7.

I'm guessing the second 'F0' denotes a SysEx type. Trying a change to 'F0910101' sent-
MidiOx: "145  1     1    2  C#-1 Note On"    Which reads NoteOnChannel2(0x91) C#-1(0x01) Velo(0x01).
Yogi

i believe sysex messages can't contain values > 7F usually. not sure why the extra F0 is used, i guess that is something internal with schism filters, i don't really know

but if you work within the expected range  F0 01 02 03 7D 7E 7F F7 you'll get the expected behavior (sysex) - alternatively you can map your Zxx commands to CC or even note-on if you want i guess!

Last edited by sandneil (Sep 19, 2016 6:37 am)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Thanks so much sandneil, didn't know Schism had these features already smile HAPPY HAPPY! Been digging into the Help files and testing in my free time these last two days.
I think there is a bug with Bank Change MSB/LSB messages.
1. When I have a Midi Instrument on a track, a MSB of 7F and LSB of FF is sent at the start. These seem to be a default value, and FF is illegal for a CC message (FF is a Sys RT reset message).
2. If I set the LSB and MSB slider in the Pitch tab, for example 10 and 10, The MSB will be 0x14 instead of 0x0A. It seems to always be double the slider setting.
3. With these sliders set to values, they are sent first when a Note On is encountered which is good. But then every 6 ticks this pattern is sent for the whole track:
B0    00    7F    1  ---  CC: Bank MSB         
B0    20    FF    1  ---  CC: Bank LSB         
B0    00    14    1  ---  CC: Bank MSB         
B0    20    0A    1  ---  CC: Bank LSB   
PC messages are sent also, if set, at this same interval.
For the most part, the best solution is using Zxx macros to send Bank Change and Prog Change messages instead of the sliders. But the MSB/LSB message at the start, sending the FF could reset a tone generator, missing some Note messages.

I also have been keeping notes on what I find, mainly for my own use but if they are of any use the latest copy is in my Dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4owgj88y8pbf … LRq-a?dl=0
I'll be updating  from time to time as I try things out smile
Yogi

thank you - can you confirm if you have midi in "tracker" mode or not (check config file)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Sure, can confirm- Win32 20160918
When config
[General]
midi_like_tracker=0

The ctrlF1 System Configuration screen, "MIDI mode = IT semantics"
The tracker will output midi messages- Note, PC, Bank Select in addition to Tick, double Start/ Stop messages and a shutdown

› IT shutdown

When config/
[General]
midi_like_tracker=1

The ctrlF1 System Configuration screen, "MIDI mode = tracker semantics"
The tracker will output Tick messages, single Start/Stop messages with a very verbose midi shutdown, but no note/PC/Bank messages.

› tracker shutdown

In both modes the Zxx Midi macro command works.
Yogi

EDIT: Just uploaded the setup of a very simple midi test- .it mod, Midi Ox log and copy of config Don't know if this will be of use

Last edited by yogi (Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm)

ty for that!! i will take a look at the bug you found when i have some more time

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Well Thank You for all your efforts. As Schism is now, it is very usable smile
Yogi

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Just discover another behavior related to the Bank LSB/MSB and PC sliders.
When I start Schism and load my test mod(2 tracks and 2 Midi Instruments) it emits the MSB LSB messages as described above, as well as a PC with 0x7F value.
But If I go into the Instruments and set the sliders to a value and then reset them to OFF, then it will only send a Bank MSB of 0x7F.
Yogi

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

So I've been testing most the day, and think I'm getting a better understanding.

1. I think you have to define the Bank values on each Track that has Midi Instruments with at least one Instrument with the MSB LSM set, at the top. Otherwise, on the first midi note the tracker will transmit the 0x7F 0xFF  defaults. If the Program isn't defined, you will get a PC 0x7F on the first note also but this can be over ridden with a macro on the same row.

2. You can mix Instruments with different Midi Channels on the same track but the note stack gets messed up, I.E on a track you have a C-6 on Ch1 active then a few rows down you have a F-5 on Ch2. When the player sees the second note, F-5, it will generate a Note Off for C-6 on Ch2. This will leave the 'real' note, C-6 on Ch1 hanging.

3. Can use different  Instruments with different Bank/Program setting if they have the same Channel on the same track.

4. The best workflow so far is to dedicate a track for each Channel, set the Bank Low/High and Program sliders to change Voices for each Channel Instrument but don't mix Channels on the same track. Can also use Zxx Macros to send PC and Bank Selection messages as needed.

This output

B0    00    7F    1  ---  CC: Bank MSB          
B0    20    FF    1  ---  CC: Bank LSB          
B0    00    14    1  ---  CC: Bank MSB          
B0    20    0A    1  ---  CC: Bank LSB    

I think, is due to 2 Instruments both set to the same Channel but on different Tracks. I can use the same Instrument on two tracks or the 2 Instruments on the same track. It was setting up a polyphonic and multi-timbral on same Channel on the two tracks.
Yogi

ty so much for your feedback! apparently -1 represents "don't send" internally, but -1=7f, so it looks like the "don't send" value is being sent. should be an easy fix

the note off bug is an interesting one!

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
sandneil wrote:

ty so much for your feedback! apparently -1 represents "don't send" internally, but -1=7f, so it looks like the "don't send" value is being sent. should be an easy fix

Cool, My pleasure. Lots of fun learning the tracker, it's really great. And really great that you and the other developers are willing to breath new life into it smile

the note off bug is an interesting one!

It might also be related to something else I've seen; when stopping playback the tracker sends Note Offs for any active notes. But a couple times I've seen Note Off messages for a note not in the track or multiple Note Offs for the same note. For the most part, extra Note Offs are benign  when shutting down, but does hint to a problem with a note stack.

› Shutdown

This Pattern is super simple, a single track with 2 Instruments on 2 Channels.
Yogi
EDIT: Looking over this log it occurred to me that the track's c variable as used in the Midi Output Configuration Tab, Note Off '8c n 0', is loading the track's new Channel (that is picked up by the new note entry). Maybe c is updated to the new channel too early; before the Note Off is sent

Last edited by yogi (Sep 23, 2016 1:05 pm)

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered, but has anyone used the Wii port of Schism?

I'm having a really strange issue with the MIDI configuration. When I go down the list of devices, I can only activate the second or later instance of each device. I.e. on my firewire interface with two MIDI out ports I can only activate the second port, the first one stays locked to "disabled." Using a simple 1-port USB dongle I can't enable it at all, it's stuck on "disabled" and nothing can be done.

I'll get a screenshot of what I mean later tonight that makes it more clear.

The bug seems to happen only on Linux; I'm running the latest 2016.11.14 snapshot, compiled by myself, on various Linux machines (mostly Ubuntu-based) and it occurs on all of them. I built the same source on my Mac (OSX 10.8) and it doesn't happen there.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this? I have a live act coming up early in January and I really want to incorporate Schism into it.

can you use those ports/devices with other software in linux?

Here's a screenshot for explanation:

16:0 and 20:0 can't be activated no matter what I do. All the rest can be enabled or disabled as normal (including 17:0.) I can get MIDI out of the Digi 002 rack by using 20:1 and physically plugging the cable into port 2 of the device, but the timing accuracy is horrible. Using 16:32 on the Soundblaster doesn't seem to do anything even though it can be enabled (I suspect it's for the front panel I/O box which I don't have.) I really want 16:0 which is the DB15 port.

When I try to activate the "dead" ports (16:0 or 20:0) by selecting them and pressing space, I get this "ALSA: Resource temporarily unavailable" error in the message console. One per spacebar press. Note: this happens regardless of whether I'm using ALSA or Pulse for the driver.

Another thing is selecting /dev/midi or /dev/midi1 will "work" but crash the tracker when I try to play a note on them. I don't have OSS so I assume this is the reason (but shouldn't these ports be delisted in that case?)

I accidentally used an old build to take those screenshots but the latest 2016.11.14 has the same behaviours (confirmed on this machine and a couple of others.)

sandneil wrote:

can you use those ports/devices with other software in linux?

Yep, the ports in question work in Renoise (and I tested that they actually output data to external hardware, not just tried to activate them.)

São Paulo, Brazil

oh, did you guys see www.schismtracker.org is back on track?

happy days.

France

Very nice website!