The Hollow Earth

This thread is a goldmine! Thanks guys. I've only ever done MIDI sequencing on 68k Macs, there's tons of stuff here I've never seen or used.

Barcelona city - Spain

big_smile

Composer Laurie Spiegel's 'Music Mouse' is one of the more interesting ones, avaliable for mac, atari and amiga. There's trial versions and you can still actually buy it from here, I did but yet to properly use it:

http://retiary.org/ls/programs.html

+ thanks all for the other info in this thread, been meaning to get back into doing something with my mac plus. smile

- me, circa back in the day. smile Playing Dark Castle on the SE I think.

Last edited by Cementimental (Feb 22, 2013 6:27 pm)

Barcelona city - Spain

Wow, nice music software recommendation... and nice picture too ;-)

big_smile

Sergy, France

Are people here still making old Mac music? I was thinking of digging up my Mac Classic and using Studio Sessions to make some rad tunes.

WELL then, I am a little bit late to this party - or rather, I was ontime, and YOU are ALL late to this party, but better late than never..

Greetings! I am glenesis, and I was there at the dawn of MIDI and before. It is a pleasure to meet you all!

I am an original Studio Session user since 1986. I used to need to order my upgrades directly from Steve Capp's lovely wife, Marie!  One if the nice things about Studio Session is that it's creator also wrote the Macintosh Finder as well as the Macintosh Sound Manager, so it works incredibly well.

In order to get stereo out of Studio Session, I would network two Mac SE's or Mac Pluses - or more - and compose sessions for each channel of audio. Then I would trigger them all to play simultaneously. They did this flawlessly for as long as I ever pushed it, which was about a half an hour of playback.

If anyone is looking for good sampler software for vintage Macs, I recommend VSamp by Malcolm Haycock which was shareware.  The current versions run on modern systems 10.11.x all the way back to System 7, but I am pretty sure there are earlier versions that ran on System 6 or earlier on the Mac Plus. VSamp is shareware!

For time stretching, find a copy of Alchemy.

For audio editing, find a copy of SoundEdit or SoundEdit 16.

My favorite music player will always be SoundApp which simply up and vanished around 2004 if memory serves, which it often does not do. The author was Norman something... and it is freeware!

Basilisk II was great with Studio Session and helped me to rescue my old sessions. I dont think that any of the copy protected DAW environments like Digital Performer will run in Basilisk II, but I am uncertain.

Please let's keep this thread alive. I joined chipmusic a minute ago specifically because I found your forum thread and I think I can be of help.

Be wary that Bernouli flexi disks like Zip and Jaz and EZ are volatile and lose a lot of data. Get yourself a hard drive and a cd burner and / or network yourself to a local server on a newer computer to back up. Networking is how to get the big software installed: you may need a modem and a dialup ISP, or some kind of an ethernet adapter.

I am here to help! PM me!

This is a fun filled page of meat and potatos Classic Mac audio freeware software:

https://arvidtp.net/guide9.html

Nice, France

Hello 8-bit-gentlemen and chiptune-ladies, i'm looking for the same thing that OP BUT even if this thread is full of very good links, i don't have found my happiness so i think that the best thing for me (and perhaps for you after all) is to code directly my own audio program for the Macintosh Plus tongue

I think to use assembly with Macintosh Programmer's Workshop... Certainly the hardest way but the better to manipulate in depth the audio chip of the computer.

SO i ask you if someone knows high detailed specs about this chip (more detailed than the official information "Four-voice sound with 8-bit digital/analog conversion, using 22-kHz sampling rate")

This page is already a good starting point : http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/devel/plushw.php

I will post here my progress at least to keep this thread alive.