So after experimenting some this morning i noticed that running my nanoloop 2.7.9 on my DSLite trying to manually sync it with another device (since there's no midi sync for DS) it would not stay in tempo for long and i saw something was slacking back... so i decided to do some tests with ableton
here are the results:

CONST: 4 on the floor kicks as a controlled sample loop -  120 bpm - syncing of recorded wave on the first kick with the tempo (set 1.1.1 here)

DSLite Results:

after around 50 bars the tempo of my ds recording was easily a 1/16th note behind the ableton tempo. when adjusted to fit the tempo, resulting tempo of DS recording was 119.85 (adjusted over 65 bars)

GBA-SP:
after around 140 bars recording tempo was behind ableton tempo by just a fraction of a note... i couldn't tell you how much exactly but very very little, you have to zoom in really close to see the shift.
After tempo adjustment over around 160 bars tempo was still 120. so pretty much accurate as a gameboy can be.

Is there a reason for this? this kinda bummed me out, i just played a show yesterday with my DS and nanoloop for the first time and i loved the way it sounded on the PA.... was thinking of making that my new main instrument. but i wanted to sync it to a drum machine and if all i can do is manual sync and there's a considerable slip in tempo that's just not gonna work.

Love to hear what people think about this.

NUMBSKULL

Here's a little Google searching:

The DS is not 60Hz either. According to GBATEK's excellent docs, the DS video runs at 59.8261 Hz, which is 0.15% faster than the GBA's 59.737 Hz.

I'm not sure if the DS actually changes it's video refresh rate to match the GBA's, it's not in the documents. However, the difference is so small the only way to find out is by capturing footage of both a DS and GBA running the same game in sync for several hours and see if they go out of sync.

It's possible, however unlikely, that Oliver could fix it in software. Similar to the way LSDJ was fixed for super game boy.

catskull wrote:

Here's a little Google searching:

The DS is not 60Hz either. According to GBATEK's excellent docs, the DS video runs at 59.8261 Hz, which is 0.15% faster than the GBA's 59.737 Hz.

I'm not sure if the DS actually changes it's video refresh rate to match the GBA's, it's not in the documents. However, the difference is so small the only way to find out is by capturing footage of both a DS and GBA running the same game in sync for several hours and see if they go out of sync.

It's possible, however unlikely, that Oliver could fix it in software. Similar to the way LSDJ was fixed for super game boy.

thanks, i had tried to search online by my search was more aimed at tempo, i didnt think about searching for refresh rate.
i really like running nanoloop on the DS both for sound, screen quality and control placement but i think id rather have it synced.

i did some very basic tests comparing the sound from GBA-SP and DS and while the DS was def fuller the difference wasn't really major i dunno if it would change exponentially based on the amounts of sound running at the same time or not. id have to do more testing.

Thanks for the info.... i do hope Oliver could patch this somehow though. that would be grand.

Last edited by theskyis256k (Apr 1, 2017 5:13 pm)

The Forest, WA

I suggest giving up the ds lite and go for GBA for sync to ableton or whatever you need to sync to.... I gave up DS lite because no sync and I'm not turning back !