Youngstown, OH

From what I've gathered the N64's sound was only limited by how much the graphics were taking toll on ram. Hypothetically you could have a very large, probably impractically large, ensemble of sample sets all playing together if there weren't graphics to consider. I'm not 100% sure but this would be very distinct from the SNES, one gen earlier, where sound was limited to a strict 8 channels, 1 typically being reserved for effects (sword swinging, cursor clicks, etc.)

But there has been pretty recent headway into ripping the samples from N64 games and people, like fluidvolt on here, are compiling them into soundfonts which you can use in pretty much any digital workspace. I'd say it's the space saving techniques that developers used to compress the audio files that makes them sound unique and you'll get that with the sample rips.

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (Dec 25, 2012 3:33 am)

neilbaldwin wrote:

The N64 was a little 'quirky'

Graphics and audio processing essentially all shared the same DSP and it was quite horrible. I think most of my stuff was only allowed 4 'voices' (as most of the DSP power was of course given over to graphics) and the sequencer timing was just awful (on the 'official' tool which was a fairly rudimentary tool, I believe made by Software Creations).

So do you still have those tools? Or is it the n64 official soudtools? Like the wave editor and Seq64? Cuz i have both of those, have to open them in virtual machine ofcourse being it are 16bit programs... But anyway i tried those and even tho the wave editor s pretty basic, its fine, but the seq64 program runs so slow + it doesn't do playback for me, i think how it was back then was make samplebanks in seq64, layout the notes and givven samples then save it as whatever file the n64 reads as audio in the rom. flash it to a cart, and see how it runs on n64? And repeat till it's good

Edit:the sequencer wasn't seq64, it was dream.exe

Last edited by Coinpusher (Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am)