As for sound bug.
Can you trigger a note on a channel, and then place pattern with note OFF on all the channels and check if sound stops. Maybe its coming from the wrong channel...

France Eure Et Loire

When I bought everdrive x7 it was also for add some personnal code on it, but fm synthesis sound definitly really hard to code... maybe some day...

About deflemask, I love the possibilites we can do with it, I used it for one song on my ipad. But I couldn't find a way to use it with a gamepad and working with touchscreen or with keyboard and mouse is bad for me, I really love gamepad ergonomics for make music.

Right now, for me the best solutions I found is use LGPT on raspberry pi, and controlling megadrive with genMDM and CC's in LGPT. There is just a little delay (milliseconds). Otherwise it's fine and if record lgpt samples + megadrive separatly can remove this delay.

But if someday your tracker could work with my everdrive then it will be also very cool, it will offer others possibilites and different working approach which is very interesting for me... I don't really can explain why but i'm not very found of using emulators like blastEM when I know I can use my real megadrive instead.

Last edited by MazHoot (Jan 19, 2021 2:57 pm)

France Eure Et Loire

I got a few responses on facebook about people testing MD tracker on flash cards:

"Cole Jaques :
Bet. I tried this out on my Everdrive pro, a month or two ago and couldn't really get it to do anything. I'll try out the latest version if there is an update."

"Aaron Hickman
Ok - messing around I’ve figured out how to make a few of the preset instruments play back sound - but when I create a patch I know works in Deflemask - I get no sound at all. Any idea why Maz Hoot?"

For the note off in all channels, I just tried, and it doesn't change something. Still the same problem

Last edited by MazHoot (Jan 20, 2021 2:54 pm)

San Antonio Texas

Thanks Maz (this is Aaron aka Dya) - I figured out why I didn't get sound. It turns out the TL levels go from 0 (lowest) to 7F (highest). In Deflemask and VGM MM - it goes from 127 or 7F (lowest or quietest depending on OP) to 0 (loudest). I'm still trying to replicate one of my patches from deflemask so I'll post with any other findings.

Thanks for making this Corthax! I am currently playing around with it and testing with my Mega Everdrive X7 on a NON TMSS North American Sega Genesis Model 1. Is there independent volume control for each channel (like the trackers mentiooned?). Or is volume only controlled via ADSR and effects? I couldn't find a volume column.

Last edited by Diagamblic (Jan 20, 2021 6:54 pm)

San Antonio Texas

I also just found a bug or two in v.01.5b - I was doing live playback with a default 01 instrument.
1) Setting OFF does not silence/kill note.
2) Tracker completely crashed when I scrolled through different effects during live playback. It happened after I triggered the set tempo effect.

Last edited by Diagamblic (Jan 20, 2021 8:31 pm)

France Eure Et Loire

Diagamblic has also the same problem as me (on everdrive x7) about not working save sram. He just said that on facebook

Diagamblic wrote:

I couldn't find a volume column.

volume (attenuation) is separate effect (41)

I wanted to say I absolutely love this tracker and I'd be happy to see it grow, and I would be happy to help!

I found couple bugs while using 0.15b on Kega Fusion emulator (dunno if it's the recommended one):
-Sometimes pressing B+UP on Song screen during playback freezes tracker and destroys the save (divide by zero error screen)
-Playing multiple patterns at once slows down playback

San Antonio Texas

I'm also excited! I sort of wish instrument creation could match deflemask though - I'm trying to convert an instrument - and it's a real pain having the TL values be backwards. I may just build some sort of conversion macro in excel. Also - I noticed Decay 1 is listed twice. Should the second Decay 1 in the instrument panel be Decay 2?

Last edited by Diagamblic (Jan 23, 2021 7:22 pm)

INFU wrote:

I wanted to say I absolutely love this tracker and I'd be happy to see it grow, and I would be happy to help!

I found couple bugs while using 0.15b on Kega Fusion emulator (dunno if it's the recommended one):
-Sometimes pressing B+UP on Song screen during playback freezes tracker and destroys the save (divide by zero error screen)

Kega Fusion, if I remember correctly, cannot save large SRAM files.
The only BlastEm support that.

Last edited by Corthax (Jan 23, 2021 4:12 pm)

INFU wrote:

-Playing multiple patterns at once slows down playback

Yeah, thats known issue... I'm using hBlank counter for sync, and at high load it's not guaranteed.
The only rock-solid tempo source is YM2612 timer, but polling it will degrade DAC playback quality a lot. Trying to find better solution...

Well. Seems that 68K cannot run current logic fast enough, when trying to write instrument changes at all channels at the same time. More stable timer not helping much here.
Overclocking can fix that, but thats not realistic.

Last edited by Corthax (Jan 23, 2021 6:11 pm)

San Antonio Texas

1)
I've created a spreadsheet that can convert Deflemask instrument values to MD tracker!
I'd like to share it with you all in case you find it helpful while testing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

The only instrument so far that I've been able to MOSTLY faithfully reproduce is a kick drum - by moving around the release value on OP3. I've included the kick drum instruments (among others instruments).

Since Deflemask is pretty accurate on actual hardware playback - I'm thinking there are still some tweaks that need to be done on the instruments in MD Tracker.

2) Everdrive v7 at the moment corrupts save state data on a Non TMSS Model 1. And SRAM doesn't work.
HOWEVER - Saves States seem to work on my Model 1 TMSS model.

3) I haven't been able to get any effects working (vibrato, porta, etc). I'm not sure it's me or the program however.

Corthax - would you consider setting up a Discord for the program? There has to be an easier way to catalogue errors and share wips.

France Eure Et Loire

@diagamblic : model 1 is sega genesis 1 right? But what is TMSS and NON-TMSS?

San Antonio Texas

Correct -
I have a Model 1 - High Definition Graphics model - NON TMSS - which means it doesn't have the lockout chip Sega put it later revisions on the model. This one has a genuine YM2612 inside and probably the best filters.

My other Model 1 - does not say High Definition Graphics and has the TMSS lock out - so a "PRODUCED OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA" splash screen appears first before game starts. Sound is still decent on this one - but I can't confirm it's AS good my top one.
This guide should help:
https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthrea … m-bad-ones

Last edited by Diagamblic (Jan 23, 2021 11:00 pm)

France Eure Et Loire

Hum ok so I think my megadrive 1 is TMSS because I can see a splash screen. But for me save states don't work too. You have to look carefully because if it does like me you can think it works at first but when you go in note screen, the notes or instrument are not here

But i'm not sure if I have TMSS or not I will check it

Last edited by MazHoot (Jan 24, 2021 5:59 am)