New Zealand

Thanks for the info Corthax. I'll do some digging and see what I can find.
I may have this wrong, but I'm pretty sure the SRAM and ROM share the same 4Mbits of address space on the Genesis right?
If so..  in theory, would it be possible to make the tracker run on a custom cart with say... 2Mbit sram? Could be worth it for the extra space smile

Shifty Pixlz wrote:

Thanks for the info Corthax. I'll do some digging and see what I can find.
I may have this wrong, but I'm pretty sure the SRAM and ROM share the same 4Mbits of address space on the Genesis right?
If so..  in theory, would it be possible to make the tracker run on a custom cart with say... 2Mbit sram? Could be worth it for the extra space smile

I think thats possible smile but I'm targetting Everdrives in the first place. Not everyone is able to make their own carts, also you need to be able to dump your SRAM from it to save songs.

0.11a is here smile Introducing some basic CSM mode, also few bugfixes.

Sea of Souls

Keep up the good work!

0.12a released. With some attempts on adding pcm playback smile The idea is to have a big single sample and then assing start/end regions within it to notes. 4 banks * 96 notes total.
U can replace it with your sample using hex editor for now. I need to make a rom patcher though.
Quality is not good, IDK if and how can I fix that. Need precise sofware timer cuz to poll YM2612 timers I have to halt the Z80, which playing pcm, resulting delayed=pitched down samples =\
Tempo now in BPM (correct with NTSC).
Hanging notes at stop may be fixed in next update, forgot to disable interrupts while running the engine *stupid*
Still may contain bugs, need more testing.

Poland, Gdansk

Hey, I just wanted to add that the tracker works on picodrive available on the chinese linux handhelds

0.13b released!
Incompatible with previous saves.
Samples now playing with correct speed!
Still not sure if BPM calculation is precise, but anyway.
Need testing!

Last edited by Corthax (Mar 21, 2020 1:55 pm)

Is this still undergoing development? Thanks.

megadrivenut wrote:

Is this still undergoing development? Thanks.

Busy with other things right now.
I can't test it on hw, so waiting everdrive x7 pro release to grab one.
But you can already try to make some music with it, most important core features are already there smile
It may be a bit challenging though...
No vgm exporting planned currently, hope for BlastEm will implement logging. Or some other emulator.

Buenos Aires

Hi Corthax! I haven´t been able to extract de bin file from the zip.

France Eure Et Loire

@Corthax, do you know about YMDJ?

http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/vie … php?t=1874

It's also a native sega genesis tracker, but it's in progress like yours. Maybe you can work/helping each other ? These 2 projects are really awesome...

YMDJ (only one old version downloadable on internet) is good launched on RG-350 with picodrive emulator or the other one (but I can't start the tracker like on computer emulator).

MD tracker works good on RG-350 with picodrive (not on the last emulator version and not on the other emulator)
Working version of picodrive here :
https://gameblabla.nl/files/ipk/gcw0_old/

MD tracker works good on linux with GENS.

@colecomusic : extracting the file works good for me, I just double click, i'm on linux... maybe try redownloading the file?

Last edited by MazHoot (Nov 23, 2020 8:30 am)

Sea of Souls
MazHoot wrote:

@Corthax, do you know about YMDJ?

http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/vie … php?t=1874

I believe CountSymphinc has stopped working on this project, but has open sourced it.
https://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1535 … en-source/

France Eure Et Loire

Thank's orgia I am checking that :-)

@Corthax : with which cartridge your tracker is currently working? Only everdrive ×7 or less expensive ones?

Last edited by MazHoot (Nov 20, 2020 10:15 pm)

France Eure Et Loire

Just for say that I edited my message above :

MD tracker works good with picodrive (not on last emulator version). You just have to set input controller to 6 buttons, not 3 in emulator settings (if not you can't go to notes page). And don't forget to add an instrument on note page

France Eure Et Loire

I tested MD TRACKER on my megadrive 1 with everdrive x7, and it works good except 2 things :

- a square sound is present additionnaly to FM channels, when you create note and play it for the first time. It's on the same note that the note created but it's still played after you stop the tracker. So it become impossible to have a silence :-) I tested to put a note off at first row in every else channels, and the note is still played so it's seems to don't come from the accessible channels.

- the save state : after saving on everdrive x7 by pressing down+start and select save state, after rebooting if I load the save state, all the values on main screen are here but not the notes inside. It seems to erase it when entering in each note page because I can see notes from 1/2 seconds before it disappear. I don't know if there is an other way to save on the tracker i'm discovering it. According to MD TRACKER.txt it seems not for now.

MazHoot wrote:

- a square sound is present additionnaly to FM channels, when you create note and play it for the first time. It's on the same note that the note created but it's still played after you stop the tracker. So it become impossible to have a silence :-) I tested to put a note off at first row in every else channels, and the note is still played so it's seems to don't come from the accessible channels.

Everything seems ok in BlastEm.. (Or I've fixed this bug already?... big_smile)
I dont have any everdrives to test on hardware right now. And the only console I have is Nomad.

MazHoot wrote:

- the save state : after saving on everdrive x7 by pressing down+start and select save state, after rebooting if I load the save state, all the values on main screen are here but not the notes inside. It seems to erase it when entering in each note page because I can see notes from 1/2 seconds before it disappear. I don't know if there is an other way to save on the tracker i'm discovering it. According to MD TRACKER.txt it seems not for now.

All the song data is written drectly into SRAM. It should save and load automatically the same way as it works with games that use battery for saves.
Do not use everdrive save states, thats completely different thing.

The only guaranteed way right now is BlastEm emulator. Others simply does not support both even and odd writes into SRAM, and typically restricted to 32kb.
As for YMDJ it's written in assembly, I can't help there smile

Last edited by Corthax (Dec 18, 2020 5:31 pm)