uhajdafdfdfa
joule wrote:

However, I would accept if albums and bigger releases could be reviewed. That would be a worthy enough cause and more of a meaningful and valid way of gaining reputation/attention. Also giving the "scene" a boost in the right direction..

Yeah, it's a shame no one ever comes to 8brot! sad

Also agree that being on some kind of special list is essentially the same as a chart. I personally think that the favourites system which we have for forum topics should just be carried over to the uploads section, and nothing more.

Edit: and also agree with ?B about not having counts on the index.

Last edited by ant1 (Jan 11, 2010 1:29 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

There seem to be a couple of mutually things people fear.

1 - A website with a music based popularity contest.

2 - A website with unfiltered content where it is hard to find media you like.

Some kind of preference based system be it likes/thumbs/ratings would give two streams of data, one filtered and the other not, would it be possible to provide both? Perhaps set a preference somewhere on the site where people could choose filtered, unfiltered or both?

uhajdafdfdfa
Lazerbeat wrote:

There seem to be a couple of mutually things people fear.

1 - A website with a music based popularity contest.

2 - A website with unfiltered content where it is hard to find media you like.

Some kind of preference based system be it likes/thumbs/ratings would give two streams of data, one filtered and the other not, would it be possible to provide both? Perhaps set a preference somewhere on the site where people could choose filtered, unfiltered or both?

I like to see comments, but not drama-comments about how a song has way too many likes... how will the system tell which is which?

New York City

I am of the way of pouet. I'd have neutrals, thumbs up and thumbs down. But that would bring to people lots of drama, specially the thumb downs...
I think having a Likes system is being frowned upon because of said drama.
I think  system can be implemented and with good moderation from the forum leaders it could work out and drama be non-existant.

Tokyo, Japan

Surely the problems about tune having too many likes would be negated by the number of likes being invisible?

Also for what its worth, I think the assumption that there is going to be drama about any kind of popularity based system is a shade negative. We have all gotten along just fine for the last week, I am having a rare moment of positive vibes. I think it will continue.

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Jan 11, 2010 2:47 pm)

New York City

I would like it very much if the problems created by a likes system were negated by the users being mature enough about it.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 11, 2010 2:48 pm)

A gray world of dread

Ok, here's what I came up with.

The main problem (or controversity) voting and charts have is that not everyone likes the same. Or to reverse that, there won't be a problem if votes and charts are rendered for each personal user preference. How does that work?

Well, there are three things each person can use to express personal preference:
1. His/her own bookmarks
2. Tags
3. Mark users with a similar taste

Say, I like skweee and have KeFF marked as my music-buddy. Any particular track can be ranked on how I liked it, KeFF liked it, and other skweee-lovers liked it. Which would produce a personal chart. One can hardly complain of his own chart being biased. No need for a public exposure of votes either, because everyone gets his own point of view.

I still say any vote must be qualified with a mandatory comment. Comments without vote are fine too.

New York City
µB wrote:

The main problem (or controversity) voting and charts have is that not everyone likes the same.

But that's how life is!
Some people like your stuff, some people don't. Why can't "artists" be mature enough to take this simple reality of our life as men (or women) and not get into sissy mode?
You want everyone to like your shit? Here's some news: it will never happen. You can't please every single person.
A little more realistic: you want lots of people to like your shit and it isn't happening? Then you are doing something wrong. IMPROVE towards your goal. People speak, read their signs and do something about it instead of becoming a pussy complaining wanker. Perhaps you don't give a fuck, and have other goals for your music-making. Or perhaps you want to quit. It's your choice, everyone has different goals regarding their artistic expression.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 11, 2010 3:41 pm)

Lawrenceville, GA
akira^8GB wrote:

A little more realistic: you want lots of people to like your shit and it isn't happening? Then you are doing something wrong. IMPROVE towards your goal. People speak, read their signs and do something about it instead of becoming a pussy complaining wanker. Perhaps you don't give a fuck, and have other goals for your music-making. Or perhaps you want to quit. It's your choice, everyone has different goals regarding their artistic expression.

Agreed on this one... though if you write music solely for personal fame and it isn't working, then rethink why you're writing music.

Everyone seems to assume that everyone but them is flawed and will treat the "likes" system as a popularity contest (whatever that really means) or get bogged down in "drama" (a ridiculous word these days as people overexagerate).

It's likely that that will not happen. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

I'm curious in what purpose a thumbs down rating would serve.

Tokyo, Japan

Imagine you have three tunes,

A good by a well known person,
B good by an unknown,
C bad by whoever.

If you have no thumbs down, A goes up, B and C get assigned the same value of zero.

If you have thumbs up and down, A goes up, B get zero and C goes down.

With know thumbs down, its harder to sort good unknown tracks from known bad tracks. not impossible, but harder.

Cambridge UK

@TRasH : would nullify a thumbs up, I guess?

I like the idea of tags : I love discovering new artists, but I'm quite busy (school, work, artistic projects, etc... and I'm sure I'm not alone in that sort of situation) and I need a way to filter tracks so I don't "waste" time downloading and listening to things that aren't relevant to my interests. I find that a "likes" system doesn't help me much in that way. As a parallel, when I go to a thrift store looking for a blue shirt I see right away what is blue, right? I'd like to be able to search for, say, "experimental +idm" and get a list of songs tagged as "experimental" and "idm".

New York City

Pouet works really well and I think it's not the dead of anyone to get a thumb down. As I said, people CAN NOT like your stuff. What's bad at expressing it? Some times yu will know you will get an unnecessary one, but many times you can get something that really helps you develop your work. Pouet forces you to comment on your scoring, so usually a thumbs down comes accompanied by an explanation. They are not used a lot, also. People are very sensical about the usage.

I also concur that a tags system is much more useful for finding what you might want to hear. In that case a likes/thumbs system would be rendered pretty useless.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 11, 2010 4:19 pm)

Unsubscribe

I think expecting more of our posters is not a bad thing.

Plano, TX

I'm looking forward to seeing the site grow.

I like the blog idea too.