Columbus, OH
Random wrote:

About likes/favourites/thumbs etc, I agree with some that it is a great tool for bookmarking (that's mostly the way I've been using it on 8bc, for instance). However, I think it should be mandatory to add a comment in order to add a thumb/like/bookmark. It prevents laziness and encourages constructive criticism.

I like your idea of adding a comment to thumb, but there should be a word limit, so that people have to give you an actual comment, not just "good" "first" "sucks" "nice" I could see that becoming a problem if you made people comment before they could give it a thumb/like/arrow/opinion

A gray world of dread

I really don't see a need for public rankings or quality selection of any kind when it's possible to do them individually.

Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:

I would , as well, opt for a one track PER MONTH rule. It would automatically threshold people's eagerness to upload any shit they came up with. It's a pre-emptive filter. If you are not allowed to upload much stuff, you will try to choose your best to get there.

Oh yeah, I can agree with this. Even if the input of songs is 12 per year, the upload here wouldn't be a place to put your latest release in it's entirety.

Philly, PA, USA

maybe 2 a month, that way it's not too restrictive, but it doesn't just become a dump

Portland, OR
Lazerbeat wrote:

how about an archive of tracks which end up being recommend by the site.

I'm not sure if anyone addressed this after Lazerbeat's original post but, for what it's worth, I second the idea of archiving the cream that floats to the top, however you guys decide to rank/score/weigh uploads. (edit: simply because I don't want to miss out on the good stuff during the weeks/months that I visit the uploads section less frequently)

Also, thanks to the creators for letting the general public have their say on this issue. I love how this place is being run so far. Keep it up.

Last edited by Greenleaf (Jan 13, 2010 7:24 am)

New York City

Modsarchive has "staff features" where the staff picks a track every now and then and features it. The track forever remains with a "medal" marking it as picked by staff. I really liked this idea big_smile

Tokyo, Japan

YEah, To be honest, modarchive is a has alot of good ideas for managing content.

New York City

http://modarchive.org/

Bronx, NY

In my opinion, regarding uploads, once a week is perfectly reasonable, once a month is a little extreme. The idea that uploads are capped at roughly 12 a year changes the entire scope of one's criticism and what expectations people might have. I always liked the fact that uploads on a certain other site were a mix of masterpieces and WIPs (not referring to 'mY first LSDJ song!!!" stuff, but artists asking for feedback and constructive criticism), it was nice to be able to engage in a conversation (or at least have that potential tongue )

BK

I like the modarchive staff pick system, i think that'd be more of a badge of accomplishment and true quality than the likes system was on a certain site.  I do think capping uploads is a positive thing, but I wonder whether 1 per month is enough. I agree with DaPantz, once a week should be a good cap.
If the cap is in place, though, I also would like to see some sort of method to make sure that the song has uploaded correctly before it's posted, that way you wouldn't have to delete and reupload and waste one of your uploads because of some glitch in the system.(Or leave up a track for a week that might have the end cut off, etc) Maybe a setup where it asks you to preview the track before publishing it for everyone to hear,and then gives you the option to reupload if something has gone awry. I'm not sure how technically difficult this is to acheive, but if it's not too tough I think people would appreciate it.

Plano, TX
akira^8GB wrote:

http://modarchive.org/

I've been going to that site since like 1994/1995.

Abandoned on Fire

I'm in favor of medium to heavy limits on uploads.  Afterall, you can always post a link to whatever you like in the CC section.  "Official" uploads to chipmusic could then be considered your personal best-of-the-best.

New York City

I don't know about the rest, but I hardly make 1 track worth showing around in a month.
I also don't understand why I would share publicly a WiP.

Abandoned on Fire
akira^8GB wrote:

I don't know about the rest, but I hardly make 1 track worth showing around in a month.

Agreed, but I would have to change "month" to "year" to be honest...

Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:

Complementing:

If you want constructive criticism you can upload it elsewhere and then post in a thread. It doesn't cut the cc part, it just makes you think a bit befor uploading to the site.

[edit]Lol i noticed egr said the same as me. So yeah, that's the way, imo.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Jan 13, 2010 4:05 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

Quick summary of what I like about modarchives in no particular order

- Free for anyone to upload any amount of anything (I think?)

- search for content by
-- artist
-- genre
above two are user preference neutral, I would add "hard/software" to that list
-- downloads
-- favorited
-- revered "respected"?
-- rated out of 10
above two are User preference based

- Front page displays "random goodness" and "recent favorites"

and it seems to focus of the archive is the archive and access to it rather than specific elements of content?

Could be a way to go?

akira^8GB wrote:

Totally valid, but for example goto80 makes like twelve good tunes before breakfast.