Any system, Genesis, SMS, Game Gear, Nomad, Pico, SG/SC, Saturn, or Dreamcast even.

Last edited by PlainFlavored (Jun 16, 2010 1:06 pm)

I prefer the master system much more than the genesis.  Who's with me or against me, and why?

I suggest finding the vgm of the above game and listening, the vid is just for kicks.

Last edited by Battle Lava (Jun 16, 2010 5:30 am)

Philly/NY

Wow, I've never actually heard any SMS music until now. Really like the sound of the Alex Kidd stuff!

England

The only Megadrive music I've admired is from the Streets of Rage series.

For some reason they decided not to go down the kitch bleeps or prog metal route that most games of this era seem to go for and opted for some mental rave, wobbley bass lines n all.

Last edited by Jellica (Jun 16, 2010 11:27 am)

Russia, Moscow

I've liked a lot of music from Sega Mega Drive games, strong enough to turn the console on just to listen the music. This is a list of that I've recalled (excluding already listed in the thread), but I'm sure I've forgot something.

Adventures of Batman and Robin
Aero Blasters
Batman
Battle Mania - Dai Gin Jou (Trouble Shooter 2)
Battletoads
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Capt'n Havoc (High Seas Havoc)
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps
F-15 Strike Eagle II (title song)
Fantastic Dizzy
Fire Shark
Gley Lancer
Lawnmower Man (title song)
Lethal Enforcers
Lethal Enforcers 2 - Gun Fighter
Mega Turrican
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Midnight Resistance
MUSHA Aleste
OutRun 2019
Red Zone
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
Shinobi 3
Side Pocket
Sol-Deace
Stargate (title music)
Subterrania
Sunset Riders
Thunder Force 3
Thunder Force 4
Valis - The Fantasm Soldier
Vectorman

Shiru wrote:

MUSHA Aleste

That is such a sick game! LOVE it.  Haven't played it in a long while though.

enso wrote:

Wow, I've never actually heard any SMS music until now. Really like the sound of the Alex Kidd stuff!

Dude, really? I suggest then you listen to Alex Maur's System of a Master.... it's SMS and it's AWESOME.

heh heh oops.... double post.....

Last edited by Battle Lava (Jun 16, 2010 12:50 pm)

United Kingdom
Jellica wrote:

The only Megadrive music I've admired is from the Streets of Rage series.

For some reason they decided not to go down the kitch bleeps or prog metal route that most games of this era seem to go for and opted for some mental rave, wobbley bass lines n all.

I heart you for posting SOR !

Huddersfield, UK
Battle Lava wrote:
enso wrote:

Dude, really? I suggest then you listen to Alex Maur's System of a Master.... it's SMS and it's AWESOME.

Battle Lava wrote:

I prefer the master system much more than the genesis.  Who's with me or against me, and why?

I like the FM sound of the Genesis/Megadrive and Japanese Master System much more than the super simple three square wave/premade noise channel instruments of the regular ol' SMS. It seems weird saying this on a chip site, but I find that most SMS soundtracks are kind of grating.

Kalamazoo

I always liked the music on ecco the dolphin. I'ts very ambient and dreamy. I'm not gonna embed anything cuz they're like 8 minutes long.

Russia, Moscow

Regarding SMS sound, I don't like it too much because two reasons: it has low amount bass (lowest possible note is ~A1), and limited number of possible waveforms (max two, most of the games used only one). There were some games with nice sounding music, though, for example Alien 3 or Flash.

Last edited by Shiru (Jun 16, 2010 1:49 pm)

PDX, PDX

What?  No Phantasy Star?

Last edited by mechlo (Jun 16, 2010 4:50 pm)

Expander is a MASSIVE tune. Don't forget the Game Gear, some simple but really charming soundtracks on there:

At the end of the day though I still think I'm an FM fan, more or less because I listen to loads of non-chipmusic (check out Les Rythmes Digitales' 'Dreamin'' for an absolute masterclass in DX7 wizadry) using FM sounds, and the Mega Drive soundtracks tie in with that.

Vienna

I like the Super-Hang On OST very much!

Rico Z wrote:

I like the Super-Hang On OST very much!

YESSSSS!!! How did I forget this?? Rico showed me this a while back and it's remained one of my very very favourite soundtracks of all time since. The solo at 2:50 is one of the greatest synth parts ever written. Only like four full tracks on it but fuck are they good...here's another personal favourite, the synths at 0:20 are PERFECT:

Last edited by Stevens (Jun 16, 2010 5:38 pm)