Nomad's Land

in the end you can't really make an argument of commercial vs political/underground chiptune. both concepts exist as result of the chip music scene getting more mature over the years. just like punk music, which has been commercialized to death over and over again, and still there's a huge non-commercial scene which has little connection with the mainstream whatsoever, kept alive by political activists and all sorts of people who like to do stuff for fun, not for the money.

the problems start where commercial and underground scenes start to compete against each other. i've been told that in sweden it's a bit like this nowadays, with different organizers fighting each other, but generally i don't see that kind of problem. i mean br1ght pr1mate come here to discuss about these things openly with the community. things can't get much better than that.

anyway, i'm not a fan of commercial music in general, and if someone comes here to promote their latest iphone crapp or some overpriced release i'll probably make a negative statement about it. in fact i'm a strong supporter of the "political" side of things, but i do respect people's decision to chose a different path as long as they respect mine. and once you decide to go commercial, it doesn't really make a difference whether it's fox, cnn or mtv. of course fox is really really evil, but so is the whole music industry. plus even fox can't withstand a good media guerilla action. and looking at some of the audience's respnonsens i don't actually know who got owned by whom in this particular case.

bla bla blah...

Chicago, IL USA

NOM STAR is trying really hard to not make a bunch of comments. Like really really hard.

NYC

the fact that this isn't 9 pages of "hey you guys did great" is ridiculous, we all need to learn to just STFU and be happy for our peers

Last edited by invaderbacca (Jul 20, 2010 4:10 pm)

Tucson, AZ
invaderbacca wrote:

the fact that this isn't 9 pages of "hey you guys did great" is ridiculous, we all need to learn to just STFU and be happy for our peers

Totally disagree.  That kind of vapid echo chamber mentality is dishonest, boring, and leads to stagnation and death.

People should feel free to express their opinions honestly and openly.  Discussion is a good thing, as long as it doesn't descend into a totally counter-productive flamewar -- which I don't think this thread has.  And if some people don't like your music, big fucking deal, don't take it personally.  But take a look at what they said and consider whether you can channel it into improving your work.

Geneva, NY

Oh so br1ght pr1mate should use this CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM to make their music "less shit."

edit: i'm not for blind praise, either.  but i'd call some of the comments on br1ght pr1mate's music pretty flamey.

Last edited by BLEO (Jul 20, 2010 4:42 pm)

Tucson, AZ

I don't think they were flamed any more than I was in this thread.

Geneva, NY

Yeah, that was some bullshit, too.

BOSTON

to be honest, i have been *really* touched by the amount of genuine enthusiasm that the community has shown for this whole ordeal. the amount of messages of encouragement and support has been totally amazing and it really shows what a great thing we have going on here.

if a few people take issue with the fox thing, or our music, thats fine. even if occasionally it may not be articulated in the most productive way, it just means they care about what they do and the music they like.** i mean, we didnt start br1ght pr1mate to please everybody on the threads, we did it because chiptune is fucking awesome, so even if i get flamed, its furthering the cause. Hell, maybe someone will be so pissed off that they do their own TV appearance or something!

Nullsleep wrote:

I don't think they were flamed any more than I was in this thread.

indeed. and thats the price of visibility, right? people take pot shots at you to try to bring you down because you have worked really hard for years and are doing awesome things that nobody else in the scene is. I know you weren't posting for sympathy, just as a neutral comparative, but the point totally remains. we are not fainting little daises  big_smile

Anyways, i just think that the fact that this thread is still going strong and talking about real things 10 days later is awesome.

"real talk"
heart heart heart heart

** or possibly they are just spiteful trolls... either way nothing to be bothered about.

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Jul 20, 2010 5:31 pm)

Ciudad de méxico, MX

I really love this last posts, shows that people have real opinion and open attitude; which every artist should aim for.

Personally i think that mass media sucks; Someone is making decisions about what people should see, should buy and should need. When you take part of it with your honesty, with for passion for your art, you're being sucked, and left when your novelty is gone.

This channels of exposition don't absolutely care about the individuality of artists, they just want to show you on a simple way for massive audience entertainment. Anyways, if your aim as an artist is more pop-friendly and easy-listen, you can fit the bill easily. And get good things about it.

If BR1GHT PR1MATE is happy with the result, better deal with the shitstorm. You're the artist, you really shouldn't care at all about everything BUT what you want to make about this.

Last edited by Analog (Jul 20, 2010 6:27 pm)

The City Of Angels
herr_prof wrote:

more stuff

Yes, you can state it reasonably. I've already stated why. It's not something hard to grasp, dude.

The point is this, this was stated:

"Yet the community apparently has no problem with making an appearance on one of the most despicable television channels around.  We certainly do seem to have a fucked up set of priorities."

and yet, this is done:

Signed up and appearing on http://myspace.com/nullsleep

This is what they (pr1mate) wanted to achieve:

/insert_pr1mate_tv_time AKA exposure

yet, this is done:

http://myspace.com/nullsleep AKA exposure

Rupert is behind it all and is the cause of the original "beef" that was brought up. Rupert is News Corp. Rupert directs it all. Rupert owns it all. He's the one that benefits from all his assets to in turn continue on what he is doing. So if one wants to take a proper stand against an entity, do it right, not half-assed.

And you brought up this, forgot to address it last time:

"Where you just looking to take a swipe at other chip music artists under the guise of being edgy"

(left out amigacorer as it just sounds silly)

Well guess what, same can be said here:

It's so easy to look edgy and suddenly political, and take a blow at FOX news, especially when you're not the one in question that will be featured on it. I mean why wouldn't it be easy ? You have nothing to lose. Only gain from looking "edgy".

Probably wasn't the angle, but people can easily say as such. So your hints at your question and comments that followed that, is simply pure speculation. I feel it was an attempt at a low blow which is unrelated to all this, to somehow discredit and completely make this all irrelevant. I may add, wouldn't be the first time you go about in assuming things either, Peter. ;)

The only reason why I brought up the whole "Delete Your Myspace" aka "Don't Appear On The Site" for your entertainment purpose was in response to the negativity that was attached to "Pr1mate's appearance on TV" for entertainment purposes. Was to see if certain people in question would actually have the fortitude and stand by their words.

If a person wants to see the world from a black and white world perspective, then so be it. But at least stand by it when it actually involves you and not others. Not half-assed.

Like I said, appearing on the internet and appearing on TV have the same effect: it's exposure and it's definitely communication. One just happens to be international by default. The other just happens to be local or national or international, depending by what means you're accessing it (older technology after all). They are all owned by the same guy regardless, who's behind the "controversies".

I would like to add: I would be saying differently if BR1GHT PR1MATE's intentions were from a political point of view, but they never were. They were strictly for entertainment.

Attaching such negativity to something that is strictly done for fun and kicks is just way too extreme and, imo, a poor attempt to falsely attach negative connotations to it.

Last edited by Mono (Jul 20, 2010 10:01 pm)

CHIPTUNE

Just in response to Mono -- I think that there was a "punk" attitude in chipmusic. Some kind of non-explicit politics in how micromusic branched out, and the way people made/discussed music. [yes, it was elitist too] Or am I way off? I guess it became embarrasing to talk about this after Malcolm McLaren. Maybe this 'network politics' was something that never really took root in the US?

My point is perhaps, that chipmusic has (had) so many political aspects connected to it (in terms of hacking, distribution/communication, aesthetics) that it is almost funny how harmless and non-political it is often described. Naääaäääeäeä! Chipmusic is the only (political) digital music!

?

The City Of Angels

I forgot this as well:

herr_prof wrote:

I think i personally have as much to fault with go daddy as fox news, so why bother going down that road? Human society is built upon a rich tapestry of hypocrisies, but what the fuck does it have to do with this argument?

Why bother? Because you can easily can, if you wanted to. If you have beef with it and yet support it, I think it's rather hypocritical.

But yes, I'm fully aware society is built upon a rich tapestry of hypocrisies (lolpunk for example)... and it can get pretty ugly. Especially nowadays, there's so much connected, what with the interbutts. So it's rather harder to get on an extreme angle/perspective and do it properly. There is no doubt in my mind society has grown around hypocrisy, as it's a proven method time and time again.

I see it everyday. As does everyone else, even if you're not aware of it.

I feel it's completely relevant to all this however. Simply because it happens and functions, does not negate the fundamental part of my argument.

Hypocrisy is still hypocrisy, however you want to look at it.

Whether it benefits or not.

The environment changes but the game is still the same.

Last edited by Mono (Jul 20, 2010 9:35 pm)

The City Of Angels
goto80 wrote:

Just in response to Mono -- I think that there was a "punk" attitude in chipmusic. Some kind of non-explicit politics in how micromusic branched out, and the way people made/discussed music. [yes, it was elitist too] Or am I way off? I guess it became embarrasing to talk about this after Malcolm McLaren. Maybe this 'network politics' was something that never really took root in the US?

My point is perhaps, that chipmusic has (had) so many political aspects connected to it (in terms of hacking, distribution/communication, aesthetics) that it is almost funny how harmless and non-political it is often described. Naääaäääeäeä! Chipmusic is the only (political) digital music!

?

By what means of Punk attitude are you referring to exactly? DIY? The political stance? The fashion? The anger? etc As it gets complicated.

To my understanding, Micromusic was a site which only allowed certain people to pass through their gates e.g. if they enjoyed/liked your music, you were in. Otherwise you couldn't get your music on it. Thus featured and exposed.

It was a private club, imo.

I don't recall the punk attitude being a private club, unless you associate "looks" with "punk" aka the way you dress.

I remember it was even hard to get off it actually. I remember Dispyz trying to get his stuff deleted on that site, but couldn't quite do it. I'm not sure if he ever got them deleted in the end.

Last edited by Mono (Jul 20, 2010 9:34 pm)

The City Of Angels

Actually, I believe, if anyone ever got closer to delving into the realm of le punk, it was 8bc.

Unfiltered, raw... and most of the time: shitty music.

Which I believe, during the punk days (judging by reading and hearing interviews during those years), that was how people saw punk. lawlz.

That's the approach to the music side of things, not really a political stance that I speak of. That punk had. Which was apart of "punk".

Then again, you can call MySpace punk as well, if you want to. They let you put up your music unfiltered and raw, freely.

This is why I don't even choose to use the word "punk" to label or associate "things". The word has been so distorted, in the same way, punk distorted the word "anarchy" aka destruction and/or chaos in the "punk world". Couldn't be far from it.

Last edited by Mono (Jul 20, 2010 9:31 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Nope, he didn't.

I remember people jumping down his throat because he wasn't part of that echo-chamber Nullsleep speaks of. Some people got it but most didn't. He was making his brand of harder 8bit since '95 (much of which was influenced by the Midwest house/techno/hardcore/metal movements), but was ultimately ostracized because he wasn't part of or connected to the demoscene/cute local european scene, let alone knew what any of it was. Total isolated incident. 

Odd, now that everything seems based on aesthetics his old material seems more potent than ever. Again, just my opinion folks.

Unsubscribe

I trust my assumptions. They are my best friends.