California
µB wrote:

I would be very happy if the amount of image macros used here won't mirror that of another place. I would even be happier if discussions like the above stay on the mature level they are now, and people who don't participate directly in them either enter with a meaningful argument or stay out of it. I enjoy discourse a lot more than mud fights.

Disclaimer: This isn't directly aimed at Rei but a general wish of mine. Yes, I am aware of the paradoxicality of disrupting the discussion with this. Carry on.

Fine. but that other place is not the only forum in which people utilize images instead of text. Granted my participation was not particularly mature or useful fine I get that but do we really need to be walking on egg shells here? Now I feel a bit nervous about posting but I am sure that is the intent.

I understand but I sure hope it doesn't get stuck up around here.

Last edited by Rei Yano (Jan 12, 2010 5:00 pm)

New York City
8bitweapon wrote:

1) Thats great, so when people hear you say your X style and they dont care about ANOTHER one of those band/artists they will forget about you. That is unless the "novelty" of the combination of genres you compile perks their interest.

One thing is styles, and one thing is methods.
If you use old computers to make music, that is amethod, not a style on itself. You mentioned that "the combination of styles" you mention always leaves you forgotten in a pile of others. Only you said this! wink

Just because you dont get respect from the general public doesnt mean that is everyone else's experience.

And where did I say that? Do you consider it that way? Are you trying to offend me? wink
The difference is, I don't "market" myself to anything like that. I develop myself in "regular" electronic music circles. You say you target people who want to hear videogame/chip music. I do not, it's just a side effect of the way I always made music (I just am oldschool and never upgraded, almost big_smile)

3) I think you see it all as novelty, and assume that if you mention the tools of the trade you will be seen as a novelty. Why else would you have a chip on your shoulder about the topic? Oh wait, I know, to have a soapbox to stand on and be noticed...otherwise your music would do all the talking instead of you.  THAT is a music fail. wink

I didn't say it I see it as a novelty, for me it isn't. I said how you seem to "market  it". If you think I was saying your music sucks, there's obviously been a misunderstanding from your side. I was questioning the way you talk about it and how yu communicate it with others (I did this before in TCTD. Remember?)

Rei Yano wrote:

Fine. but that other place is not the only forum in which people utilize images instead of text.

That doesn't mean it's any good smile

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 12, 2010 5:01 pm)

California
akira^8GB wrote:
Rei Yano wrote:

Fine. but that other place is not the only forum in which people utilize images instead of text.

alright. text only. roger that.

New York City
Rei Yano wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

No, not really, but, in this case, this was a bit of a pot stirrer image macro, don;t you think? smile

California
akira^8GB wrote:
Rei Yano wrote:

No, not really, but, in this case, this was a bit of a pot stirrer image macro, don;t you think? smile

I was hoping for it to just be funny. but now that I think about it yeah I get what you are saying. my bad.

Plano, TX
µB wrote:

I would be very happy if the amount of image macros used here won't mirror that of another place.

I completely agree. It serves absolutely no purpose, almost ever, and should stay at places like 4chan and other forums with similar maturity levels. The one thing I've been looking forward to with the new communities popping is hoping that one of them will maintain a consistent level of adult discussion without degrading itself into tired, drooling internet "memes" (or fads, as they should be called).

California
PixyJunket wrote:
µB wrote:

I would be very happy if the amount of image macros used here won't mirror that of another place.

I completely agree. It serves absolutely no purpose, almost ever, and should stay at places like 4chan and other forums with similar maturity levels. The one thing I've been looking forward to with the new communities popping is hoping that one of them will maintain a consistent level of adult discussion without degrading itself into tired, drooling internet "memes" (or fads, as they should be called).

I think we get it.

back on subject:

I think most people are unable to really appreciate what it is that I do or find it somewhat uninspiring. I have met many people younger or around my age that react quite the opposite. If they are older I will just say electronics but I may attempt to describe if they seem like they could grasp it with some sort of appreciation. Otherwise it can become an embarrassing situation.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:
8bitweapon wrote:

1) Thats great, so when people hear you say your X style and they dont care about ANOTHER one of those band/artists they will forget about you. That is unless the "novelty" of the combination of genres you compile perks their interest.

If you use old computers to make music, that is amethod, not a style on itself. You mentioned that "the combination of styles" you mention always leaves you forgotten in a pile of others. Only you said this! wink

BOTH are marketing semantics, no two ways about it.

akira^8GB wrote:
8bitweapon wrote:

Just because you dont get respect from the general public doesnt mean that is everyone else's experience.

And where did I say that?
The difference is, I don't "arket" myself to anything like that. I develop myself in "regular" electronic music circles. You say you target people who want to hear videogame/chip music. I do not, it's just a side effect of the way I always made music (I just am oldschool and never upgraded, almost big_smile)

Fair enough. wink

akira^8GB wrote:
8bitweapon wrote:

3) I think you see it all as novelty, and assume that if you mention the tools of the trade you will be seen as a novelty. Why else would you have a chip on your shoulder about the topic? Oh wait, I know, to have a soapbox to stand on and be noticed...otherwise your music would do all the talking instead of you.  THAT is a music fail. wink

I didn't say it I see it as a novelty, for me it isn't. I said how you seem to "market  it". If you think I was saying your music sucks, there's obviously been a misunderstanding from your side. I was questioning the way you talk about it and how yu communicate it with others (I did this before in TCTD. Remember?)

Yes, I think we all agree the bottom line is that the music has to be good as a stand alone product regardless of what is used. I think that is the one thing we agree on. However, whats wrong with marketing to people who want chipmusic? Keep in mind, most people in the world have no idea this genre is here waiting for them. How will people who love classic game/computer sounds going to find this music? By your format, they will never find it.

I remember when I 1st found micromusic.net, I was like  "THIS is what ive been looking for, these are my people!" I want to help people discover all that chip has to offer in all its countless forms. You cant do that unless you tell people what you are using. Otherwise, its just more electronic music. I want to celebrate these sound chips, I dont want to hide them. Whats the point?

"This a gr8 tune"
"Oh thank you , I'm touched that you enjoy it so"
"Never heard anything like it, might make some myself! whats it made with?"
"im not telling"

Then chipmusic's distinctiveness is devoured by the "electronica" blob forvever...

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jan 12, 2010 6:52 pm)

London, UK
calmdownkidder wrote:

IT'S LIKE SONIC CHECKING HIS MAIL ON KETAMINE

vivid

Last edited by Sabrepulse (Jan 12, 2010 5:28 pm)

☺☺☺

Them: what do you do?
me:i make music with computers and stuff..... heres a song....
them:this is crazy, how did you do it?
Me: it was actually made with a single game boy
them: oh so its techno

...yep...its techno, people. get yr facts straight big_smile

New York City
8bitweapon wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

BOTH are marketing semantics, no two ways about it.

When they become communication, I agree. But it seemed to me tehre for a moment that they were both confused, after all, I think we all mostly agree that there are two aspects to what is current chipmusic, one formal/stylistic, the other methodical/procedural.

8bitweapon wrote:

Yes, I think we all agree the bottom line is that the music has to be good as a stand alone product regardless of what is used. I think that is the one thing we agree on. However, whats wrong with marketing to people who want chipmusic? Keep in mind, most people in the world have no idea this genre is here waiting for them. How will people who love classic game/computer sounds going to find this music? By your format, they will never find it.

I see the same "mistake" of above being applied in this phrase. You refer to chipmusic as a genre, where I strongly believe it isn't, and this is the base of our "disagreement".
However, I do mention I use old computers to make the music, because it's the truth, but it's a mild mention, my intentions are different. I don't specifically forbid any of that people from finding about it, actually, I am contributing to it (posting here, major contributor in TCTD, etc) so that's not it, and specially, it isn't this:

"Never heard anything like it, might make some myself! whats it made with?"
"im not telling"

If someone asks because they want to make it themselves0 they surely drop in the "trainspotter" category and information should and will be be given (again, I collaborate to the spreading of this information).

The general public, that who attends a gig (at least mine), only want a good time and good music. In a place like chipmusic.org or 8bitcollective, everybody will be interested in the tech aspects of it because they are music makers. Isn't it weird to play only for people who also do what you do? It would be a bit odd for me at least, and that is why I broaden my spectrum. In your case, I think instead of expanding, it's closed onto a niche, and this is my disagreement. I think it takes away from actually your music, o emphasize so much on how it's made.

Also, I do not hide what I use to create my music, at least not in that way, but making people not believe it's done with this or that is surely something I am for, trying to push each platform to the limit. That challenge is what makes me stick with chipmusic

Then chipmusic's distinctiveness is devoured by the "electronica" blob forvever...

When someone who makes these sounds with a VST is among our community, I think the hardware itself lost distinctiveness already. This is the "flaw" I see in saying chipmusic is a genre.

Keep up the great discussion ;D

Los Angeles

OMG, we may actually be on the same page! haha

I agree with playing to everyone, not just chip sceners. We play and market our music to everyone. Having said that, we help fans of games and chipmusic alike find us by promoting our gear in our bio/press. I agree that it is limiting to only market and play for people in the chip scene. My aim has aways been to make chip music that is accessible to anyone. Its music anyone can enjoy really.

Also, will we ever see the day we have a label for this music that we can all agree on? lol

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jan 12, 2010 7:23 pm)

New York City

I think we will never see that day since lots of people take it as a style, and lots of others take it as a medium.
We're in different pages of a book that originated in the same roots.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 12, 2010 8:21 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
Rei Yano wrote:

"I make electronic music."

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

I think we will never see that day since lots of people take it as a style, and lots of others take it as a medium.
We're in different pages of a book that originated in the same roots.

Well the style issue is a big one because every genre of music has been done by chip musicians. Perhaps it would make more sense to say something like I make "Chip based techno" or "ChipHouse" or "Junglechip" for each variation? I think you may be right about calling chipmusic a genre. Then again, it is an easy way to label it all, sloppy but very simple.

New York City

I hate each and every one of those words my friend xD
That's why I guess I avoid all mention of chipmusic when I talk to a neophyte, unless they show deeper interest.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 12, 2010 9:01 pm)