rochester, ny

i've heard her say "space music" before, which is pretty cool, i think.

Los Angeles, CA

I think my girlfriend describes it something like "You remember the old Game Boy? He makes dance music using one of those".

When she's in a good mood: "He does music with gameboys." (making me sound like a weirdo)
When she is not. "Fa la tecnazza." Translation: "He does techno for drunk ravers."

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

WELL UH YEAH HE MAKES LO-FI MUSIC IT IS OK I GUESS

Melbourne, Australia
celsius wrote:

Or... you could be like me and my girl and organise and promote chip music parties. big_smile

I like my situation better. tongue

I still find it hard to explain to people what it is though (considering that I'm somewhat more removed from the scene and cannot answer technical questions like the one where people ask "So... it's like a videogame?").

I had the conversation this morning (pretty much word for word)

"It's WHAT kind of music at this gig?"
"er... Chipmusic."
"What is THAT?"
"mmm...It's music made using the soundchips from consoles to act as instruments, you know, like Gameboys and Amigas"
"Oh. <Long pause while they processes this information> So, can you dance to it?"
"Yeah.... some of it. It's different genres... It could be like, house, or dubstep or something different"
"And it's called what??"
"Chipmusic... like a soundchip"

I think I confused him, because he mumbled something about taking over the world and walked away with his 8 litres of milk.

Finland

I guess she just says it's experimental electronic music or something. She's very supportive about it though and even has her own Casio SA-10:) I guess the real test would be to have Videovalvontaa rehearsal at our place haha.

Melbourne, Australia
dosPrompt wrote:

[considering that I'm somewhat more removed from the scene and cannot answer technical questions...

But that's the perfect answer! You ticked both the boxes that I think are essential in getting the concept across.

1) You explained that it's written generally on vintage hardware and synthesised on the sound chip.
2) You explained that it is a medium, not a genre.

/me throws dosPrompt a toffee.

Tokyo, Japan

I generally wake up every morning astonished my significant other has thrown in the towel and started playing the field up in her own league, so she gets to describe my music however she pleases.

Camden, London

girl...what?

Brooklyn, NY

Man, how come girls are dummies? Giving us ladies a bad rep :\

Brazil

All I know is that my first DMG was bought by my GF as Valentine's day gift.

True.

California
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

All I know is that my first DMG was bought by my GF as Valentine's day gift.

True.

same here but xmas gift big_smile

Philly, PA, USA

aww that's cute!
my mom bought mine for me
my girlfriend tells me "if you ever start performing live i will be so embarrassed, proud, but embarrassed"

Brisbane, Australia, Earth

my girlfriend says "he does a heaps candy-segatrance"

not really, i wish though...

philly

my wife has a hard time explaining but tries to all the time...

she usually starts w/ something like:
"do you know what a cart is? like old nintendo... he takes those apart and puts music in them"

and the usual response is:
"i didnt know that was possible... so what... i can play mario with his music in it?"

lolusa

I explained it to an inquisitive german in line at JFK. Then he explained it to his girlfriend in german. I'm pretty sure he said something like, "check out faggy shit"...she looked confused.