blargg wrote:

A SNES version is very likely possible, actually smile

Yes, thats what i was thinking. smile

Minneapolis

Short update, just to say that the PC-side software is coming along decently. Uploading ROMs to the cartridge is pretty smooth and painless. Me and Blargg got in a good deal of testing on our respective NES-es last night, with hardly any errors. I'll try to make a video of the process at some point, perhaps when a few more of the features have been implemented.

Also, I'd like to offer a great big public "THANK YOU!" to the amazing Lazerbeat, who has generously offered to hunt down and ship to me, free of charge, some Famicom gear so I can make a version of the Munchausen cart for the Famicom. Also a big thanks to Pixls, who has offered to do artwork for the project.

USA

I can do some Artwork too.

I really like what you guys are doing and I want to show my support and respect for your project.

What can I do to help?

Minneapolis

Well, I was thinking of perhaps doing an art thread of sorts, and then at the end various pieces may be chosen for inclusion. Gimme a sec to think of how I want to do it, and then I'll post something in the art thread.

Minneapolis

So i figured it was about time to make a demo video. This video shows the NTRQ ROM being uploaded and booted.

Unsubscribe

cool stuff!

That's awesome man!

I find it funny that you call it N.T.R.Q.

I always just call it Nitroqueer in person. hahaha

USA

Very cool.

I'm so glad it works.

The video makes it looks very easy to use.

I like the load status beeps. That was a great idea.

I'm kinda surprised that it only takes 30 seconds to a minuet to load a game onto the cartridge. I was expecting it would take longer. It can take almost 10-20 minutes to load stuff onto an EMS 64m Game Boy Cartridge.

Are you going to try and put together a piece of software for the computer so that you don't have to put in text commands? Probably not, right? Because then you would have to make different versions of that software for different operating systems.

I have no problem with using a text based interface. Its just that I always have to make lots of sticky-notes for myself when I use text based interfaces. I can't always remember exact commands. And I think lots of people don't have any experience using text-based interfaces. I think most people are very intimidating by text based interface because they are so use-to a graphics based interface like Windows or Apple-OSX.

Can the cartridge hold more than one NES-ROM at a time? I don't expect it to but this would be a very cool feature.

I'm very excited about this project.

Keep up the good work arfink and blargg! - It looks amazing.

And thanks for making the video.

-Max Nelson

Great video, looks like it works flawlessly (I'm sure you guys are still working out small bugs)
Personally, I don't think too many people would have a problem with text-based interface.  At least from what you showed us it looked simple enough smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i'm sorry.. that is so fucking bad ass seeeing ntrq load on an actual cart... ^_^ Makes me so happy.

Minneapolis
SurfaceDragon wrote:

The video makes it looks very easy to use.

Are you going to try and put together a piece of software for the computer so that you don't have to put in text commands? Probably not, right? Because then you would have to make different versions of that software for different operating systems.

I have no problem with using a text based interface. Its just that I always have to make lots of sticky-notes for myself when I use text based interfaces. I can't always remember exact commands. And I think lots of people don't have any experience using text-based interfaces. I think most people are very intimidating by text based interface because they are so use-to a graphics based interface like Windows or Apple-OSX.

Can the cartridge hold more than one NES-ROM at a time? I don't expect it to but this would be a very cool feature.

It's all going into a C API, so doing a GUI wouldn't be too bad on any OS. Don't worry too much about the text interface, if you hate CLI you won't probably have to look at it. The beta of course is command line, since it's not done. Also, the software ought to work just fine on Windows, Linux, and Max OSX.

The cartridge will be able to load multiple NES ROMs, however right now our test code does one at a time.

There are a good deal more features too that I can tell you all about later, because they aren't all confirmed yet. smile

Last edited by arfink (Aug 25, 2010 10:19 pm)

Ciudad de méxico, MX

this is absolutely amazing!. I always prefer the command line, more direct access to the file manipulation. or people could just maybe prepare a batch file and you just need to drag the file for upload it to the machine.

are you using a cheap cellphone data cable? a buddy over here on Chile uses it, since it runs like a virtual com port, is ideal for today pc standards; he make a really nice cable for the atari 8bits called sio2vcp. works very similar to the munch.

keep up the good work! this with pulsar will be the end of the world as we know it!

Minneapolis
Analog wrote:

are you using a cheap cellphone data cable? a buddy over here on Chile uses it, since it runs like a virtual com port, is ideal for today pc standards; he make a really nice cable for the atari 8bits called sio2vcp. works very similar to the munch.

No, but I am using a USB to serial converter. Prolific chipset. Very cheap and easy to get. Then just interfacing it with some passives and a NES controller plug.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

prolific! yes, that one is the one that cheap cellphone cables come with. like Erickson's DCU-11. Well, if you can get it for cheap, no need to invest on this kind of cables wink. it costed me like 6 dollars in chile.

Minneapolis
Analog wrote:

prolific! yes, that one is the one that cheap cellphone cables come with. like Erickson's DCU-11. Well, if you can get it for cheap, no need to invest on this kind of cables wink. it costed me like 6 dollars in chile.

How is $1.70? HAHAHA! big_smile

Ciudad de méxico, MX
arfink wrote:
Analog wrote:

How is $1.70? HAHAHA! big_smile

heart

btw, i absolutely love your effort on making this proyect. I fully support it, and i'll  be sending a present also wink, maybe useful for future developments on the NES.