weird, that gameboy has eliments of the DMG, pocket and colour, its like a missing link!

but it looks very very much like a gameboy pocket screen, you may find that a gameboy pocket screen is a plug and play.

if you have a spare pocket screen, just plug it in and give it a try, if it works then you can just take the backing off and slide in the EL plate.

be careful with the hot iron idea, the pocket screens (if thats what it is) are very fragile, they are not like DMG screens and they are very easy to break. you should be fine if you are just careful with it,

Abandoned on Fire

I do have a pocket i could sacrifice, but believe me when I tell you there's no way either the lcd or screen protector is coming off the gbl in one piece.  sad

egr wrote:

I do have a pocket i could sacrifice, but believe me when I tell you there's no way either the lcd or screen protector is coming off the gbl in one piece.  sad

you can use the pocket just to test it,

the screen should be easy to get out, take the gameboy front half, and grab it at the top and bottom, then twist the plastic slightly, it should cause the screen to pop off. there is no need to take the screen protector off, you will damage it.

the screen may seem like its really stuck (i have had many pockets like that, where even a screwdriver under the screen wont work without breaking the glass) but a slight twist can loosen it, as its been stuck there for a loooong time

Abandoned on Fire

Despite my best efforts, I have succeeded!!!11!!

Gameboy Light with transplanted Pocket screen.  Just has a piece of printer paper in there as a diffuser at the moment.  big_smile
Thanks for your help and suggestions guys!

Before (with contrast all the way up to show dead lines)

After (with dumb paper "diffuser"):

Philly, PA, USA

wow, nice job! don't suppose you got any pics of what the inside looks like?

Abandoned on Fire
pixls wrote:

wow, nice job! don't suppose you got any pics of what the inside looks like?

The pocket screen is an exact match. I just had to peel off the backing and drop it in.  smile

haha wow thats awesome, thats really cool that its just the same screen!

can i have the old screen and the rest of the gameboy pocket?????

Abandoned on Fire
NeX wrote:

Sure if you'd like! PM me an address.  smile

egr wrote:
NeX wrote:

Sure if you'd like! PM me an address.  smile

u haz spammz

Norwich, UK

sweet

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

the transplant is a success!
and with no rejection! ;D

i think the paper disfusser gives it a cool textured look.
great job!

Last edited by xero (Sep 3, 2010 10:46 pm)

xero wrote:

the transplant is a success!
and with no rejection! ;D

i think the paper disfusser gives it a cool textured look.
great job!

really useful info to know!