Italy

Hi! A friend gave me an old C64 breadbox model, which appears to be completely dead. So I was thinking about putting the mobo of my C64C (the grey, boring one) into the case of the old one. Anybody tried that? Should I try it, or will I risk breaking everything? The connectors seem to be the same, I didn't check the screws that fix the mobo to the case though...

brighton, uk

Can't remember which is true or not, havent had a breadbox for about 3 years now. Isnt the breadbox board alot bigger?
Saying that I have a C64C with a weird revision- it has a 6581 in it and a larger board.
The screws should be the same, the connecters are the same.
Just wham it in and see what happens- what are you gonna lose!

Italy

yeah, the only thing I risk is to break the mobo while doing this...
the case of the breabox C64 is heigher but shorter, I guess the mobo goes under the keyboard a bit, while in the c64c the mobo and the keyboard don't overlap

England

No problem with this, I've done it lots of times.

Italy

btw. this kind of silver coloured paperboard shield thing... what is it for exacly? Can I just discard it?

Norwich, UK
rumpelfilter wrote:

btw. this kind of silver coloured paperboard shield thing... what is it for exacly? Can I just discard it?

if i remember correctly, they put the metallic metal shields in the sega megadrives to stop interference with something but apparently it was useless and not needed... so i assume its the same for the commodore 64 although i might be wrong

Italy

all right I did the switch! Was really easy, and everything works, so I know I didn't break anything. I kept the cardboard shield thing... since I couldn't find any information regarding it. Now I only have one last doubt. the breadbox case seems to have less venting holes than the never C64C case, you think this is a problem? The SID is known for producing quite some heat...

Sweden

If you're worried, put a heat sink on it.

Italy

thinking about that, actually I'm thinking about adding heatsinks to all the ICs in the C64. The only problem I see is fixing them... somebody suggested Epoxy glue between the heatsink and the IC, has anybody tried that? I'm also considering to remove the silver shielding cardboard, since I read that it does not really work as it was intended to...

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
rumpelfilter wrote:

thinking about that, actually I'm thinking about adding heatsinks to all the ICs in the C64. The only problem I see is fixing them... somebody suggested Epoxy glue between the heatsink and the IC, has anybody tried that? I'm also considering to remove the silver shielding cardboard, since I read that it does not really work as it was intended to...

i say trash the metallic cardboard.
sounds like it will only trap heat in the case...

as for attaching heatsinks...
all yew need is some: thermal adhesive
arctic silver makes an awesome one (linked above), but they (and others)
make a few different kinds. i have used the arctic silver brand on
computers and other retro-tech alike. simple and works really well.
but just like regular thermal compound, dont use too much!

Last edited by xero (Sep 1, 2010 8:51 pm)

Italy

Didn't know that that existed! THanks a lot man, I'll see if I can find some!

Norwich, UK

i might give this try soon too... i'll take pics once done but i've got another c64 to concentrate on atm

England

Adding heatsinks to C=64 chips is well worthwhile, especially if you have a board with a 6581 SID chip in, as these run hotter (12V as opposed to 9V of the later revisions).

Last time I had to do one, I found that my Arctic Silver adhesive had all dried up. Instead I used regular thermal compound under the heatsinks, except for the four corners where I used small blobs of superglue to keep the sinks fixed. Works very nicely indeed.

And those foil cardboard things - just get rid!